Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rome Colosseum upper decks open Oct 2017

Old Feb 16, 18, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

The upper levels of the Colosseum, some 260 feet / 80 meters above the ground, have opened for the first time in 40 years. These upper levels were for the lower class citizens of Rome; the guided tour includes a previously unopened corridor with the ancient toilet area.

Only visitors with a €9.00 guided tour may visit these upper levels. Tickets are available at www.coopculture.it/colosseo-e-shop.cfm or by calling +39.06.399.700.

International Travel News, Feb 2018
Old Feb 18, 18, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
The upper levels of the Colosseum, some 260 feet / 80 meters above the ground, have opened for the first time in 40 years. These upper levels were for the lower class citizens of Rome; the guided tour includes a previously unopened corridor with the ancient toilet area.

Only visitors with a €9.00 guided tour may visit these upper levels. Tickets are available at www.coopculture.it/colosseo-e-shop.cfm or by calling +39.06.399.700.

International Travel News, Feb 2018
This could easily be about Veterans Stadium if it hadn't been imploded years ago. Good to know folks like me sat in the nosebleeds in the classical era too.
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; Avis P+; Global Entry
i was up there on Friday, its a great view and well worth it, you can booked this and the underground tour together (if english is full i booked on the french tour).
Old Feb 21, 18, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by aidy View Post
i was up there on Friday, its a great view and well worth it, you can booked this and the underground tour together (if english is full i booked on the french tour).
Did the tour on October 13th. Super awesome!

Old Feb 21, 18, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
It's probably a good idea to do it fairly soon. Opening the upper decks is part of the overall plan to make the Colosseum a living, cultural center of events for Rome. Some of the ideas seem good, some of them seem questionable. This was part of the plan of new Director of the Colosseum, Alfonsina Russo The original Colosseum of course, had events. It had an awning spanning most of the top, otherwise, nobody could sit exposed to the Roman sun all day. Those walls that appear at the bottom were all covered by a floor. Those were rooms where they housed wild animals, slaves, and gladiators. It was not exposed like it is now.

The overall plan is to reconstruct a flaw, put an awning over the Colosseum to make it semi-indoors, and hold concerts there. Russo actually announced that she is hoping to get Sting and Bono to do the first concerts, once they put in a floor.

They have held concerts in the Colosseum in the recent past, including Paul McCartney, who said, "this is the first time the Colosseum has had a band since the Christians," to introduce himself. Elton John played there too. I'm not exactly sure how they did it, but I believe they put in a temporary floor, a relatively small seating area for VIPS inside the Colosseum itself, and large screens outside in the surrounding plaza and streets, where most of the people watched it. I hope they are not going to go through with the plan of installing floors and an awning.

You never know with Italy. A year or so ago they banned all of the pan handlers who surround the Colosseum dressed as gladiators, who coax unwitting tourists to take a picture of them, then surround the tourist and demand 20 euros, sort of like the Mickey Mouse characters in Times Square, NYC. But the Court overruled the ban, and the Colosseum area is again riddled with fake gladiators.

I hope that if Russo does it, she does it right.
Old Feb 22, 18, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Perche View Post
It's probably a good idea to do it fairly soon. Opening the upper decks is part of the overall plan to make the Colosseum a living, cultural center of events for Rome. Some of the ideas seem good, some of them seem questionable. This was part of the plan of new Director of the Colosseum, Alfonsina Russo The original Colosseum of course, had events. It had an awning spanning most of the top, otherwise, nobody could sit exposed to the Roman sun all day. Those walls that appear at the bottom were all covered by a floor. Those were rooms where they housed wild animals, slaves, and gladiators. It was not exposed like it is now.

The overall plan is to reconstruct a flaw, put an awning over the Colosseum to make it semi-indoors, and hold concerts there. Russo actually announced that she is hoping to get Sting and Bono to do the first concerts, once they put in a floor.

They have held concerts in the Colosseum in the recent past, including Paul McCartney, who said, "this is the first time the Colosseum has had a band since the Christians," to introduce himself. Elton John played there too. I'm not exactly sure how they did it, but I believe they put in a temporary floor, a relatively small seating area for VIPS inside the Colosseum itself, and large screens outside in the surrounding plaza and streets, where most of the people watched it. I hope they are not going to go through with the plan of installing floors and an awning.

You never know with Italy. A year or so ago they banned all of the pan handlers who surround the Colosseum dressed as gladiators, who coax unwitting tourists to take a picture of them, then surround the tourist and demand 20 euros, sort of like the Mickey Mouse characters in Times Square, NYC. But the Court overruled the ban, and the Colosseum area is again riddled with fake gladiators.

I hope that if Russo does it, she does it right.
Again my usual, small, irrelevant correction: The vast majority of the pan handlers were not dressed as gladiators but as legionaires! Otherwise all correct!
Old Feb 26, 18, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Again my usual, small, irrelevant correction: The vast majority of the pan handlers were not dressed as gladiators but as legionaires! Otherwise all correct!
I'll have to state a friendly disagreement on this. The panhandlers surrounding the Forum and Colosseum have signs asking if you want to take a picture with a gladiator. Certainly, that doesn't mean that is what they are, but the difference between a gladiator and a legionnaire is large. Roman emperors were very smart in conscripting, or generously offering employment in the military to almost every man. A legionnaire is a soldier. This made for great armies because if you made it through your 20 years as a soldier/legionnaire, you were generally given land and a pension. This made for a very loyal military that rarely lost a battle. It's also one of the reasons why Rome kept on h, having to conquer, because they offered land as a pension benefit to almost every soldier/legionnaire, where they could start a farm, raise sheep, or do whatever. I don't think that legionaries even had a particular uniform. They'd just train for battle, and go at it, and wore whatever was typical of their region, and win to secure their future.

A gladiator was a slave. They were born and raised to fight in public matches by their owner. They were not just any soldier.

Not that Muhammad Ali, one of the greatest heroes of modern times, could be remotely compared to a slave, but a fight between Ali and a typical USA soldier would be like comparing a gladiator with a legionnaire. Ali was a gladiator, but of course, super-free. A soldier is a soldier, although Rome trained their soldiers better than anybody else at the time. The guys standing around the Colosseum are in a gladiator uniform, somewhat ornate, as their owners would like them to be when they went into the "ring." Rome could never afford to robe its army of usually around 180,000 soldiers in fancy garb with feathered helmets, and 20 pound shields and swords. The army was just clothed in a basic tunic.

Rome staved off rebellions for a long time because such a large proportion of its men had a military background and depended on the government for life, and thus became very patriotic. A gladiator was a slave specially chosen as a child who was taught only one thing, and that was combat. Most died in the arena, because everyone, even Ali, eventually becomes too old to win.
Old Feb 26, 18, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA - PlatPro, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Executive, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
This could easily be about Veterans Stadium if it hadn't been imploded years ago. Good to know folks like me sat in the nosebleeds in the classical era too.
This is EXACTLY what I thought as I stood in Le Colosseo - the Vet (spent my share of time in the 700 level), Three Rivers, Riverfront, and old Busch were all just modern copies of the 2 millennia old stadium I was in.

The need to eventually install a chit system using clay tokens to limit wine consumption sounds like a policy that should have been in place in the 700 level.

I wonder if the toilet areas were any better than the old metal troughs in the Vet's men's rooms? Being a child of the 80's and of a single mother, I was scarred by the experience the first time I had to use the men's room at a Phillies game.
Old Feb 27, 18, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by pa3lsvt View Post
This is EXACTLY what I thought as I stood in Le Colosseo - the Vet (spent my share of time in the 700 level), Three Rivers, Riverfront, and old Busch were all just modern copies of the 2 millennia old stadium I was in.

The need to eventually install a chit system using clay tokens to limit wine consumption sounds like a policy that should have been in place in the 700 level.

I wonder if the toilet areas were any better than the old metal troughs in the Vet's men's rooms? Being a child of the 80's and of a single mother, I was scarred by the experience the first time I had to use the men's room at a Phillies game.
Your post is more accurate than you can possibly imagine! The Colosseum more or less had a jail underneath, which would go on to inspire the Vet almost two millennia later

Search this Thread