Reload this Page >

FCO to ORY--what to know as American

Old Jan 8, 18, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro

Hi all,

Rather frequent flyer domestically in US, but first time taking the family out of the country. While in Europe this week we're going to be flying from FCO to ORY and back, on an Iberia flight operated by Vueling. By now I've mastered the TSA here at home (much as anyone can, really), but I have no idea what to expect in either Rome or Paris as far as security lines and processes, how early one should arrive prior to departure, any Italian or French travel vocabulary I should know to watch out for, etc. Any assistance in setting expectations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old Jan 8, 18, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
I fly inside Europe a bunch (mostly LIN/MXP-CDG) and it is almost the same as in the US. Security is kind of random, sometimes intense and sometimes they let stuff slip through that gets picked up elsewhere. I would in general get to the airport 120 to 90 minutes before the flight. Most security people know enough English to tell you what to do (take off belt/shoes etc).

The only major difference I have found (and this was at CDG) is that they are incredibly strict on the weight of my carry on. They will assess your load and weigh to see if totals over 12kg and force you to check if it's over. I would carefully check the allowance on Vueling.
Perche likes this.
Old Jan 8, 18, 4:44 pm

FCO/ORY will function like a domestic flight, as both are within the Schengen Area. That means no passport control, and you can generally time it all like you would a domestic US flight. Security will be similar to TSA - usually shoes, belts, anything else metal off, laptops out of the bag, similar rules on liquids. These are both major airports, so everyone working there will have the ability to shout at you in English, just like home My experience has been that they will answer questions if you don't know what to do, and if you screw up, they're not that mean to you.

As ckendall said, watch the dimensions and weight of your carry-on. Vueling is an LCC, so they're more likely to be strict. Find out what you're allowed on their website and stay within that.
Old Jan 8, 18, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Absolutely. Don't only check the weight of your bag, but also it dimensions. Passport and security is rarely a problem. It's much smoother than in the USA. Generally, you almost never have to take off your shoes. Just be careful with your luggage allowance dimensions.

Search this Thread