Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Best fine dining in Florence?

Hi all,

We will have 5 nights in Florence in early October. With consideration to the obvious Michelin choices, what are the other best fine dining restaurants for lunch and dinner? We are major foodies, and we likely will sample several of the Michelin restaurants. But we also would like to sample some of the local favorites or other great options that Michelin doesn’t recognize.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 6, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Hi all,

iWe will have 5 nights in Florence in early October. With consideration to the obvious Michelin choices, what are the other best fine dining restaurants for lunch and dinner? We are major foodies, and we likely will sample several of the Michelin restaurants. But we also would like to sample some of the local favorites or other great options that Michelin doesn’t recognize.
There's a good thread in the Italy destination thread devoted to this question
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
There's a good thread in the Italy destination thread devoted to this question
I did review that thread, but I found the overwhelming number of suggestions and examples are actually for more casual dining. I’m hoping for more pointed advice on fine dining options. Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC

I did review that thread, but I found the overwhelming number of suggestions and examples are actually for more casual dining. I’m hoping for more pointed advice on fine dining options. Thanks.
My $0.02 - I liked Pinchiorri, but I didn't find that it measured up to its worth. I think you'll get more than your money's worth eating at casual spots in Florence.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
We found Il Cibrèo to be phenomenal. It’s a small, stunning restaurant. The owner has several restaurants located nearby. I’ll Cibreo is the more formal. Menu changes every day and is discussed with you at your table rather than being printed. I think it’s a real gem.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:07 pm

Fine dining in what style - meaning traditional kitchen, or something more modern/adventurous?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Fine dining in what style - meaning traditional kitchen, or something more modern/adventurous?
Ah, fine dining as in excellent food with excellent wines and excellent service. A restaurant where people are dressed nicely, though not necessarily formally.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:07 pm

Ah, fine dining as in excellent food with excellent wines and excellent service. A restaurant where people are dressed nicely, though not necessarily formally.
Sure, but classic or modern cooking?

I should also warn you, in Florence, there aren't many places where you're going to see everyone dressed nicely. No one is in the business of turning away a tourist with a reservation, so you see a lot of variety in how folks dress. The safest bets are going to be places like Pinchiorri, Ora d'Aria, maybe Borgo San Jacopo. All have/had Michelin stars. Personally, I'd go to Cibreo over any of them, even if it's going to appear more relaxed. Coquinarius might be an interesting option if you're more interested in the wine, but its really close to the Duomo and will probably be very relaxed. Konnubio is another interesting option - the former (starred) chef from Borgo San Jacopo opened it - I have not gotten there yet. Also Osteria dell'Enoteca, from the same folks who run Pitti Gola e Cantina - good food, but probably some of the best and potentially most unique wines you'll see in Florence. I'd probably pick this one, although my absolute favorites are more casual.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:33 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I'll second Cibrèo, had my last visit there a couple of weeks ago and it was fine as always. Italian in that it has fewer menu choices than some higher end tourists are used to in other country's restaurants, but normally each one is done properly. But to echo PWM not super "dressy" per se, other than the more formal winter clothes often seen as it cools off.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
My $0.02 - I liked Pinchiorri, but I didn't find that it measured up to its worth. I think you'll get more than your money's worth eating at casual spots in Florence.
Sorry, but we definitely will be dining at Pinchiorri! Especially now that there is no jacket requirement, I’ll always be up to try the only 3* in the region.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Borgo San Jacopo is a very nice room with a good menu. You'd feel comfortable dressed up, the artwork in the hotel&restaurant are top notch. The hotel bar/lobby also a wonderful perch for an aperitif and both the restaurant and the lobby have great views of the Arno & Ponte Vecchio. I've had good meals there (and love to stay at the hotel) but then I usually go down to street to Cammillo as it is more casual and relaxed and a reliable classic.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
Borgo San Jacopo is a very nice room with a good menu. You'd feel comfortable dressed up, the artwork in the hotel&restaurant are top notch. The hotel bar/lobby also a wonderful perch for an aperitif and both the restaurant and the lobby have great views of the Arno & Ponte Vecchio. I've had good meals there (and love to stay at the hotel) but then I usually go down to street to Cammillo as it is more casual and relaxed and a reliable classic.
Cammillo is great, and for whatever reason, isn't on the tourist radar as much. Only reason I left it off of my response is that I know the wait staff will be the most dressed up people in the place I agree on the comments on Borgo San Jacopo, but I'm also fairly certain that you and I are the Hotel Lungarno fan club around here.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:51 am

Sorry, but we definitely will be dining at Pinchiorri! Especially now that there is no jacket requirement, I’ll always be up to try the only 3* in the region.
I think you should if you're into that - It's a 3* after all. It's very good and worthy of its stars. The only reason I don't really go is that when I'm in Florence, I have other places I'm trying to get to and old favorites that I really want to visit. I don't often say this, but it's the opportunity cost of going to Pinchiorri that stops me - if I only have 10 dinners in Florence each year, a fine dining tasting menu isn't usually going to get a spot from me as a regular occurrence. But if you've never been there, yeah, you should go.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I think you should if you're into that - It's a 3* after all. It's very good and worthy of its stars. The only reason I don't really go is that when I'm in Florence, I have other places I'm trying to get to and old favorites that I really want to visit. I don't often say this, but it's the opportunity cost of going to Pinchiorri that stops me - if I only have 10 dinners in Florence each year, a fine dining tasting menu isn't usually going to get a spot from me as a regular occurrence. But if you've never been there, yeah, you should go.

Actually, most of the times we have been in Florence, with the exception of Cibreo, we have just walked around looking in places and the menus that they have usually posted outside and picked places that looked good/interesting. Haven't gone wrong yet. There are to many good places.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Cammillo is great, and for whatever reason, isn't on the tourist radar as much. Only reason I left it off of my response is that I know the wait staff will be the most dressed up people in the place I agree on the comments on Borgo San Jacopo, but I'm also fairly certain that you and I are the Hotel Lungarno fan club around here.
I've been eating at Cammillo for 30+ years and I've always had a great meal. And 30 years is hardly a long time. Witness Mimi Sheraton's comments about her history with the place.

Restaurant Review: Florence, Italy: Cammillo Trattoria - Travel - The New York Times

I don't really put much heed into reviews/critics (outside of identifying places that might be of interest) as I trust my own palate but when Sheraton wrote this she was pretty much the #1 restaurant critic for the Times. You know that she was eating in the best kitchens one can find and it speaks volumes that Cammillo delivered another solid meal to her then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.