Wiki Posts
Search

Major Airport Strikes December 15

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Major Airport Strikes December 15

This is my first time travelling from Italy back to the States. I am scheduled to leave Milan Malpensa (MXP) on December 15 on the 11:25 flight, but I know there are a multitude of strikes announced by different trade unions including CUB (a major transport union that represents airport workers, bag handlers etc), FIT-CISL and later in the day an air traffic controller strike (from 13:00-17:00). Although I leave before the ATC strike, I was wondering how serious these strikes actually are, as I know striking here is significantly different than back in the United States. Should I worry about this or is this no big deal?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:18 am

I tried to get more info and what I found out is that Alitalia is expected to cancel all flights for that day, while airports are expected to close down for 4 hours "only". Moreover, there will be several local bus strikes around that day while an Italy-wide strike of taxis is on the list. If I were you, I'd try to get out a day or two earlier or, if not possible, let AZ reschedule you and enjoy one day more in Milano.

PS If you're not booked on AZ, expect either a long delay or, also possible, a change of the departure to an earlier time, all of that if your scheduled departure is outside the 4 hours of strike.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Thank you for looking more into this! I am flying outside the 4 hour window (13:00-17:00 is the 4 hour window I believe?) with a different airline (British Airways) so hopefully my flight is safe, I have a 4 hour layover in Heathrow so I have some wiggle room in case things get a bit delayed!

Last edited by notjb1; Dec 4, 2017 at 6:26 am Reason: Changed sentence
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
I found these links in a thread about taxi strikes.

http://scioperi.mit.gov.it/mit2/public/scioperi

Translated to English:
http://translate.google.com/translat...peri&sandbox=1
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Update

UPDATE on the situation: Right now, it looks like all flights operating between 7-10am and 6-9pm are safe, as well as all intercontinental flights. Alitalia has announced cancellations for certain flights and they are repositioning crew. It looks like it's going to be a day of delays but not a day of cancellations (hopefully!). Ryanair flights seem to be in trouble for the day. Hopefully my British Airways flight makes the cut!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.