Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Gambero Rosso: Best Bars in Italy 2018

Old Dec 2, 17, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat

As everyone knows, a bar in Italy is a place for coffee and a pastry in the morning, a light and quick lunch before heading back to the office, a late afternoon cocktail, and sometimes dinner. It's not like a USA bar. Gambero Rosso, in addition to rating the best restaurants, pizza, gelato, and pastry, also rates bars. This is impressive, because there are 300,000 bars in Italy. The ratings are in, "Tre Tazzine & Tre Chicchi," or three cups and three coffee beans. This time, it's not a rating, it just provides the best places to get coffee by region. It does say that the best bar in all of Italy is in Lecce, Puglia, 300mila, and they won it last year two. It lists some bars that were for "Tre Tazzine Finalisti," bars that came close but didn't get it. It also lists, "I Migliori cocktail bar d'Italia," of which there aren't too many because Italy doesn't have much of a cocktail culture. At the very bottom are, "Le Stelle," bars that have been rated Tre Tazzine & Tre Chicchi for ten years in a row, of which there were 16.

http://www.gamberorosso.it/it/food/1045995-guida-bar-d-italia-2018-del-gambero-rosso-premio-illy-bar-dell-anno-a-300mila-lounge-ecco-tutti-i-premiati

Old Dec 4, 17, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
I have to say I have little faith in this list as the one bar I know (Pave' in Milan) is kind of a dump. Philosophically it is a great idea (hire kids who need jobs, reasonably nice fresh products), but it is not one of the better bars on that block, much less one of the best in Milan.
Old Dec 6, 17, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by ckendall View Post
I have to say I have little faith in this list as the one bar I know (Pave' in Milan) is kind of a dump. Philosophically it is a great idea (hire kids who need jobs, reasonably nice fresh products), but it is not one of the better bars on that block, much less one of the best in Milan.
The two they identified in Florence as well, nothing wrong with them, but is the best coffee really coming from the bars in the St. Regis and Four Seasons? They're both beautiful places, but it's not what I have in mind when I think bar in the Italian context. They both do have great service representative of their brands, so I get it, but they don't feel particularly local to me. That said, I'm glad they didn't pick the safe, easy tourist traps like Gilli and Scudieri, which are local, but lacking.

Search this Thread