Community
Wiki Posts
Search

how to get to siena

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

how to get to siena

Which airport is best to fly into and then how to get there from the airport? Flying from sfo.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evor1
Which airport is best to fly into and then how to get there from the airport? Flying from sfo.
Are you willing to rent a car? If I recall, Siena is kind of awkward to get to by train. From FCO (easy ticket from SFO) you go into Roma Termini on the Leonardo Express, catch the Freccia train to Florence and, then the Regionale to Siena. From Termini, I think you've got a 3 hour trip, give or take.
If you do rent a car, there's a classic hotel -Palazzo Ravizza - up on the hill, inside the walls just outside the walls at Le Due Porte with a parking lot. Otherwise, I think the public lots are at the bottom of the hill, with shuttle service up to town. You won't need a car in Siena, of course, but Tuscany is some good car touring. I stayed at Ravizza. Felt like one of those Grand Tour hotels. Parking lot is a great convenience.
All of this is my recollection from 2008 (public transport from FCO) and 2014 (car rental).
Someone on this forum should be able confirm or update.
Good travels.

Last edited by rickg523; Oct 30, 2017 at 11:45 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I always drive to Siena. Either from PSA or from FLR and park outside the walls.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:59 am

FLR (1h/1h30' by car and about 2h by train), the quickiest to Siena
PSA (2h by car and 2h30' by train)
FCO (2h45' by car and 4h by train), maybe the cheaper and faster from SFO
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:56 am

Id look for buses here. There's a bus fm Florence to Siena. I think it takes an hour. There should also be buses from the airports directly to Siena. Driving is fine if you can figure out where u will park in Siena.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:23 am

Here's my take -

If you're driving to Siena, I'd probably try to fly to FLR and drive from there, unless there are additional stops to get to FLR vs PSA/FCO.

If you are not driving, FLR might still be the easiest option - SFO doesn't have non-stops to FCO, so I'll just assume you'll fly 1-stop no matter where you land. From FLR, you need to take the bus back into the city center - it drops off at Santa Maria Novella station. From there, you want a Regionale Veloce train from SMN to Siena. There are also regular Regionale trains, but you will have to change trains in Empoli.

Honestly, after typing this out, it turns out the Comune di Siena actually has a pretty good guide:

http://www.enjoysiena.it/en/getting-to-siena/index.html

What sucks is that coming off of a long TATL, 1 stop flight, you will still need two additional segments to get to Siena. If you can swing it, a car service from FLR is the most convenient option - but it's going to be somewhere between EUR200-250.
obscure2k and Perche like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.