Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Four Days in Milan

Four Days in Milan

Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Four Days in Milan

I'm taking a mini vacation with a friend, spending 4 days in Milan. I'd like to do more than just Milan (day trips to Rome, other locales, if possible), but I'd like to spend a day around Milan too.

What are must-sees in Milan, and what day trips would be good?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
While Milan is not the easiest city to love, there are some worthwhile things to see. Others will disparage Milan and tell you to get out as soon as possible, but I stay there a lot (for business) and have found many interesting things to see. I leave the day trips to others but I have enjoyed Mantova and Verona.

In the center of the city the Duomo and the adjacent Galleria Vittorio Emanuele are worth some time. La Scala is nearby as is the fashion "Quadrilateral" and some important museums: Brera and Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, Palazzo Reale (depends on what they are showing) and Museo del Novecento (more modern Italian art). In addition, Castello Sforzesco and the House museums (Poldi Pezzoli, Necchi Campiglio and Bagatti Valsecchi) are worth a visit. And of course the Last Supper.

There is a lot of good food in Milan (see other threads for recommendations) and shopping.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by ckendall
While Milan is not the easiest city to love, there are some worthwhile things to see. Others will disparage Milan and tell you to get out as soon as possible, but I stay there a lot (for business) and have found many interesting things to see. I leave the day trips to others but I have enjoyed Mantova and Verona.

In the center of the city the Duomo and the adjacent Galleria Vittorio Emanuele are worth some time. La Scala is nearby as is the fashion "Quadrilateral" and some important museums: Brera and Pinacoteca Ambrosiana, Palazzo Reale (depends on what they are showing) and Museo del Novecento (more modern Italian art). In addition, Castello Sforzesco and the House museums (Poldi Pezzoli, Necchi Campiglio and Bagatti Valsecchi) are worth a visit. And of course the Last Supper.

There is a lot of good food in Milan (see other threads for recommendations) and shopping.
I agree. I would just add that on a 4 day trip, you don’t really have time for day trips. Rome is not a day trip from Milan. Back and forth it amounts to a day on a train. You might have time to get on the local train to Varenna, and take the ferry over to Bellagio, but it depends on the time of the year. You can do that now, can’t do it next month.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
I agree. I would just add that on a 4 day trip, you don’t really have time for day trips. Rome is not a day trip from Milan. Back and forth it amounts to a day on a train. You might have time to get on the local train to Varenna, and take the ferry over to Bellagio, but it depends on the time of the year. You can do that now, can’t do it next month.
So, limit the trip to Milan only?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
So, limit the trip to Milan only?
Four days, Milan only? Too long!
Four days, Milan + a city nearby: OK.
Four days, Milan + Rome: Forget it!
Four days, Rome instead of Milan? Much, much better!

bigguyinpasadena and Perche like this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by KLouis
Four days, Milan only? Too long!
Four days, Milan + a city nearby: OK.
Four days, Milan + Rome: Forget it!
Four days, Rome instead of Milan? Much, much better!

What KLouis said @:-)
Old Oct 19, 2017, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
What KLouis said @:-)
That won't happen this trip. Next trip, probably.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:33 pm

Personally, in addition to the classic tourist destinations (Duomo, La Scala, Sforzesco castle, ...), I suggest you to visit the area of ​​Brera and the Navigli one.

Hope you will have a great time
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AmandaRed
Personally, in addition to the classic tourist destinations (Duomo, La Scala, Sforzesco castle, ...), I suggest you to visit the area of ​​Brera and the Navigli one.

Hope you will have a great time
Anything special that we should see there?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.