Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Food in Rome

Looking for two dinner spots after 4 nights in Florence and 2 in Tuscany. Would love to do one more upscale (150E for 2?) and perhaps one that's a little more affordable. I know there's a great thread for Florence (we're going to Del Fagioli, Central Market, Sostanza and maybe one other) - but can't find similar recs for Rome. Any guidance?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:19 am

Look here for answers to your second question (affordable). As for the first one (expensive), sorry, as a Greek pensioner I simply can't afford it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
There were three of us earlier this year. We all enjoyed http://www.armandoalpantheon.it/. Reservations are necessary.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Have you looked at this thread?
Please recommend your favorite non touristy, non super fine dining place in Rome!
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

I have - but looking, in particular, for something that's a bit more fine dining (though not necessarily 3 stars, etc.)
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:01 pm

I can advice this interesting guide written by a friend of mine
http://www.lapecoranera.net/prodotto...roma-ed-17-18/
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
We recently had a short stay in Rome, arrived late at night, and only had a chance for one dinner during our stay.

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Claridge on Viale Liegi. Another guest had mentioned the Taverna Rossini nearby, and it sounded like it had a good mix of the Italian foods I like.

We went for a family dinner, with our almost 5 year old in tow. I think they put all the families with kids in the back, but it was fine.

Now, I'll admit I'm not an Italian gourmand of any sort, but I know what I like when I eat it!

There wasn't a thing on the menu that we got that wasn't delicious. A few items were superb. The sausage pizza, crispy salmone fagiolini and spaghetti Amatriciana were some of the best Italian dishes I've encountered in my life.

Other than the uncomfortable chairs, it was so great to have gotten such a good experience and meal on the first try. It makes me want to visit Rome more!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by senzer
Looking for two dinner spots after 4 nights in Florence and 2 in Tuscany. Would love to do one more upscale (150E for 2?) and perhaps one that's a little more affordable. I know there's a great thread for Florence (we're going to Del Fagioli, Central Market, Sostanza and maybe one other) - but can't find similar recs for Rome. Any guidance?
150 with or without wine?

In Rome - Glass Hostaria is amazing, but it will be more that 150E

https://www.glass-restaurant.it/en/menu

The Chef Cristina Bowerman also has another restaurant in Testaccio, Romeo
I haven't been to the new space yet, friends have and they rave about it.

https://romeo.roma.it/?lang=en
Old Oct 21, 2017, 6:04 am

I've never been to the Glass Hostaria and given the price and the menu listed, I doubt that I'll ever go to. The food may indeed be very good, but the idea of having (random selection from the menu!!!) Pantelleria capers or black kumquat or stilton cheese or taco or is rather for the Romans tasting non-Roman food than for the opposite. The ultimate item I loved in the menu was Italian prosciutto (not even what kind). Has Mr or Mrs Glass ever tasted the difference between prosciutto di Norcia and San Daniele? OMG, this place is really for gourmet tourists!!!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Can be upwards of 200-250 E with wine one night, but would also want a special ambiance for that price. Not looking for super modern cuisine, but rather delicious pastas, great wine and some desserts to write home about.

Keep the suggestions coming - continue to check these places out.

As an aside, we're only in Rome two nights and have a reservation Friday for Roscoli - looking for Sat. night now (in November)!

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:57 pm

What you're asking is not so easy. I try to explain: you're looking for typical roman dishes (and the roman cuisine is a poor cuisine) for an high price*. I'm not an expert with your budget because is out of mine but I could advice you these places:

- Imago: I think Hassler Hotel speaks for itself
- Bistrot 64: never been here but I trust who spoke me about it
- Pigento 1870: I personally know the chef and he is great
- Taverna Trilussa: in Trastevere, not too touristic and also good food in a warm atmosphere
- da Cesare: I often go here und I think it's really underrated (maybe because of the "normal" location and of the non-expensive prices)

I hope it can be helpful

*I can cook for you for 150€ for both of you
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Sciamano
What you're asking is not so easy. I try to explain: you're looking for typical roman dishes (and the roman cuisine is a poor cuisine) for an high price*. I'm not an expert with your budget because is out of mine but I could advice you these places:

- Imago: I think Hassler Hotel speaks for itself
- Bistrot 64: never been here but I trust who spoke me about it
- Pigento 1870: I personally know the chef and he is great
- Taverna Trilussa: in Trastevere, not too touristic and also good food in a warm atmosphere
- da Cesare: I often go here und I think it's really underrated (maybe because of the "normal" location and of the non-expensive prices)

I hope it can be helpful

*I can cook for you for 150€ for both of you
I am going to give a strong second to da Cesare (Casaletto). It will be Roman. It will cost you far less than 150 euros, especially if you take the tram. Even if you take a cab back and forth, it will be far less than 250 euros, even if you take a limo there. It’s hard to top eating there, no matter the price. As with wine, the price doesn’t always correlate with the taste. If you want a 4 hour serving meal for 300 euros per person, like at La Pergola, I’ll provide some suggestions in that price range. But Cesare probably serves the best food in Rome outside of 300 per person tasting menu places. It’s in a regular Roman neighborhood. Non-pretentious. But you can’t beat it for an unforgettable meal.

I was absolutely crushed when I again ignored my own advice when I spent three weeks in Rome this July, and put off making a reservation, and then couldn’t get in. It doesn’t have much of a romantic atmosphere, but it is very Roman, and really hard to top the taste of the food.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 26, 2017 at 9:12 am
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:21 am
Original Poster

That is perfect - I will try and make a reservation today. We are staying nearby to Termini (St Regis) - assume we will take a taxi. How long will the ride be (cost and time) to da Cesar’s? Not looking for anything firm, just an estimate!

Sciamano - you seem to know rome well - any fun cocktail bars and/or speakeasy to check out? We are getting excited! Only a few weeks out!
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:51 am

That is perfect - I will try and make a reservation today. We are staying nearby to Termini (St Regis) - assume we will take a taxi. How long will the ride be (cost and time) to da Cesar’s? Not looking for anything firm, just an estimate!

Sciamano - you seem to know rome well - any fun cocktail bars and/or speakeasy to check out? We are getting excited! Only a few weeks out!
Well, it would be odd the opposite

Before 20:30 it will probably take not less than 45' due to traffic. I think it would cost 30€, always depending from traffic.

You can ask me about food, wine, beer and whiskey but I'm not so prepared in cocktails cause I don't them so much. What's your "age target"?
Anyway, I can reccomend you a few speakeasy:

- The Jerry Thomas
- The Barber Shop

Give a look at Puntarella Rossa, also for other infos about F&B
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:23 am

{snip...}any fun cocktail bars and/or speakeasy to check out? We are getting excited! Only a few weeks out!
In Rome? What? A cocktail bar? A speakeasy? Fly all the way to Rome for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.