Wiki Posts
Search

Internet/TV in Italy for home

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Perche
This has been an amazingly useful thread. I hope it doesn’t go to private, because very useful information is being shared here that a lot of people don’t know.
I'll post what I learn as I go through the process. There may be a small population that has these interests but, if you have the issue, finding the info is valuable.

I think it comes down to two things.

(1) What are the internet products and services that are generally available in Italy?

(2) Which of those are available where I am?

Relatively to the first question, one example is TIMVision's Fibre+

https://www.tim.it/offerte/fisso/int...a-plus-special

Which provides 200Mbps, phone and TIMVision for E24.90/4 weeks promo for 4 years. 1000 Mbps free for a year and then a E5 surcharge afterwards.

Hopefully, when we're ready to use our place next summer, that will be available. I'll post what I learn as I do it.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JMN57
I'll post what I learn as I go through the process. There may be a small population that has these interests but, if you have the issue, finding the info is valuable.

I think it comes down to two things.

(1) What are the internet products and services that are generally available in Italy?

(2) Which of those are available where I am?

Relatively to the first question, one example is TIMVision's Fibre+

https://www.tim.it/offerte/fisso/int...a-plus-special

Which provides 200Mbps, phone and TIMVision for E24.90/4 weeks promo for 4 years. 1000 Mbps free for a year and then a E5 surcharge afterwards.

Hopefully, when we're ready to use our place next summer, that will be available. I'll post what I learn as I do it.
Thank you, because in general, when people start saying, "PM me," I feel it defeats the purpose of the Forum. I have received many PM's, and 99% are indeed about matters that shouldn't be answered in a Forum. I welcome each and every one.

You and the other respondents to this thread certainly know a lot more about this topic than most people. Not everyone benefits when posting about unusual topics, but that's OK. Sometimes it's a small thing, for example, the recent post about bus routes in Sardinia from DocWatson. But this forum is becoming the best place to get even arcane information.

This particular thread might help someone, including me. People like you who report back their experience, like bigguyinpasadena, speedlog, mromalley, and many obvious others too numerous to count who do not need to be mentioned because of how obvious their contributions are, is what makes the Italy Forum. Just don't go PM.

Sometimes, there is a need to discuss something tangential and I have received many PM's that were more appropriately discussed offline, and I always welcome them. But in general, taking the discussion of an important topic to PM, even if arcane, is not a good thing because the info could be of benefit to the community. You never know.

This thread has a great chance of benefiting others, including me, and it pains me to think that the people who know the most about this subject would want to PM it. I might need this information soon, and this is a forum where we share our knowledge and experience. In my opinion, PM's are OK, but for other things. I don't make the rules, theses are just my thoughts. Taking this very valuable post to PM is not a good idea in my opinion.

I also suspect this; you are not going to find better information about this topic on the internet than what has been posted in this thread, and you won't get responses anywhere else that are better than what people here have provided. And if JMN57 tells us about his experience, this will really be a unique source of information, so I get sad when people say, "PM me," when this is a community forum

Please keep it going and give feedback, not PM, which unless it is a truly private matter, and sometimes it is, just hides information from the community. Some day this Forum will be indexed, and the collective wisdom that people can use to optimize their trips to Italy will be the best on the internet. I think it is already pretty good.

I am personally very likely to use the info in this thread because I think I have another few months in Italy coming up, and I need threads like this, because it is not my area of expertise, so please do not take it from a community forum to a PM.

Last edited by Perche; Sep 29, 2017 at 12:30 am
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Perche
This has been an amazingly useful thread. I hope it doesn’t go to private, because very useful information is being shared here that a lot of people don’t know.
hi!
Recently also in Italy is available a mobile wifi service, not by wire.
The great vantage is to avoid the fixed monthly fee, especially if the apartment is not used part of the year.
I suggest you ask a local provider......one friend of mine some months ago use Witourist mobile wifi.
You can read its reviews on witourist.com, reviews section.

I remember the its 4G+ performaces were best of a local ADSL and we watched the TV, video and voip services in a very easy way.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by roy40
hi!
Recently also in Italy is available a mobile wifi service, not by wire.
The great vantage is to avoid the fixed monthly fee, especially if the apartment is not used part of the year.
I suggest you ask a local provider......one friend of mine some months ago use Witourist mobile wifi.
You can read its reviews on witourist.com, reviews section.

I remember the its 4G+ performaces were best of a local ADSL and we watched the TV, video and voip services in a very easy way.
Yes - mobile 4G (if you're in a coverage area) can be quite fast. I have a 30GB per month TIM plan for around E10 that I use in a hotspot when I am there.

The biggest issue with a mobile internet connection is that most of them have a GB limit for each billing cycle. While 30GB per month is a lot, it's nothing for a household in a month. For example, at my home in the States, my last 4 months were between 90 and 150 GB. And that is with some travel in those periods and, while we stream Netflix, etc our TV consumption is through cable, not via broadband. If you shift TV over to broadband that can add a lot more network traffic. As a frame of reference, Comcast (my supplier) has a 1TB monthly cap on residential accounts.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
Yes - mobile 4G (if you're in a coverage area) can be quite fast. I have a 30GB per month TIM plan for around E10 that I use in a hotspot when I am there.

The biggest issue with a mobile internet connection is that most of them have a GB limit for each billing cycle. While 30GB per month is a lot, it's nothing for a household in a month. For example, at my home in the States, my last 4 months were between 90 and 150 GB. And that is with some travel in those periods and, while we stream Netflix, etc our TV consumption is through cable, not via broadband. If you shift TV over to broadband that can add a lot more network traffic. As a frame of reference, Comcast (my supplier) has a 1TB monthly cap on residential accounts.
Keep an eye on WISPs. There's the Coalition for Fixed Wireless Access (CFWA) with a website here, that has a kind of crappy coverage locator - but it does point you to actual ISPs rolling out coverage.

CloudItalia (http://www.clouditalia.com/index.php...#data-services) and Eolo (https://www.eolo.it/) might have some options near your location. Eolo's pricing is actually pretty good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.