Wiki Posts
Search

Gelato in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for this thread, will be very helpful on my upcoming trip to Italy. I only remember #51 Gelateria dipiazza (San Gimigiano) from a former trip. What I liked in Florence was La Carraira (beside others) but not so sure anymore it was gelato from the pictures at the internet
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Perche
In the USA if you are greedy, you are described as, “someone who wants to eat their cake, and have it too.”
Good heavens. How, in a thread devoted to authenticity, could this completely unidiomatic version of the actual aphrosim have escaped comment for so many months??

It's "he wants to have his cake and eat it, too" (or female equivalent).

(I am completely willing to admit that I want to have my gelato aritgianale and eat it, too.)
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Had many good Gelato in Italy, mostly twice a day Will report in detail.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by snic
Good heavens. How, in a thread devoted to authenticity, could this completely unidiomatic version of the actual aphrosim have escaped comment for so many months??

It's "he wants to have his cake and eat it, too" (or female equivalent).

(I am completely willing to admit that I want to have my gelato aritgianale and eat it, too.)
I don't know where you dug this up. I don't remember. I think it was in a post I made about how there are certain common expressions in English, and there are expressions in Italian that mean exactly the same thing, but they are completely idiomatic, not literal translations. For example, in English we sometimes might describe a person by saying, "he wants to have his cake, and eat it too." I think it's a phrase in a Bob Dylan, "you can't have your cake and eat it too." In Italian you don't literally just translate that and say, "Non puo avert la tua torta e mangarla tu."

In Italian you would say, "vuole avere la botta piena e la moglie ubriaca." That is how in Italian you say you want to have your cake, and eat it too. But that's not the way it's said. Vuole avere la botta piena e la moglie ubriaca." Translated that means, "You want your wife drunk, but you also want your wine bottle to remain full."

I think you might be quoting from a post about how things are said differently, and has nothing to do with gelato. In English, if someone is facing challenge, like passing an important exam or interview, we say, "Good luck." In Italy you say to the person, "In boca del Lupo." That means you are in the mouth of a wolf. How that means good luck, -probably no one knows, but it is obligatory to imediately respond by saying, "Crepe il lupo," which means, "let the wolf croak." So you wish someone good luck by telling them they are in the mouth of the wolf, and if they respond by saying let the wolf croak, they will get good luck. If they don't respond, they will get bad luck.

If someone never picks up the check, in English we might say, "he's a cheapskate." In Italian there is no such translation. If you want to say someone never picks up the check you say, "ha un granchio nella tasca," meaning he has a crab in his pocket that won't let go of his money. Or you can say, "Avere le braccine corte," or he has short arms that can't reach his pockets.

In English if you want a friend to tell you the truth, brutally honest, don't sugar coat it, in Italian the expression doesn't contain sugar. You would say, "Di me senza pelle sulla lingua." That means tell it to me without hair on your tongue.

In English we might say you have it backward, and don't understand. in Italian you would say, "Non prende lucciole per lanterne," That means done mistake fireflies for lanterns.

I'm not really sure what your question is, but that was what I recall that post was about, and it had nothing to do with gelato.

Last edited by Perche; Apr 20, 2019 at 3:35 pm
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Perche

In Italian you would say, "vuole avere la botta piena e la moglie ubriaca." That is how in Italian you say you want to have your cake, and eat it too. But that's not the way it's said. Vuole avere la botta piena e la moglie ubriaca." Translated that means, "You want your wife drunk, but you also want your wine bottle to remain full."
"botta" (actually, botte) isn't bottle but rather barrel. Just clarifying so some poor FT'er doesn't have a heart attack when they order what they think is a bottle and gets a barrel.

Perche - thanks for all of the idioms - they are hard to find and useful to know.
Perche likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delicious gelato

This is "Gelateria No"^
Old May 9, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gelato in Rome

Giolitto
Giolitti, is the Roman classic. I already visited in 2009 and it´s named in nearly every guide.
Normally it´s not a good sign if a Gelateria offers many flavours. In this case I guess the Sales figures allow some choices….

My "grande" Gelato

Another day we ate inside. That´s what you get when ordering a grande Gelato.

While they don´t offer my favorite Gelato it´s a good option while in Rome.

Gelato di San Crispino
I got a recommondation for San Crispino and gave it a try.

Personally I loved the Gelato and highly recommend it.

Il Cannolo Siciliano
Il Cannolo Siciliano is number 24 on the Dissapore list.

The gelato was delicious. Personally I didn´t found it better than San Crispino but I guess this is personal taste.

Tre Scalini
Tre Scalini is relative famous as they claim to be the creators of Tartufo. We took one Tartufo and one ice cream.

The Tartufo was good pretty with a lot of chocolate. The ice cream (no gelato if you ask me) was mediocre, nothing you must eat in Rome.

Gelati Gelati
It was a recommondation from a guidebook.

Gelato was good, would like to eat it again

Fiocco Di Neve

I found the Gelato didn´t really look great but I was too curious.

Well, it would be unfair to say it was bad but I wasn´t enthusiastic. Also think it was ice-cream and no "real" gelato.

Otaleg
Otaleg is number 7 of Dissapore-list.

So many interesting choices!
Surprisingly it was the first time we got scoops.

Gelato was absolutely delicious!
Old May 19, 2019, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gelato in Florence

In Florence I visited "only" 3 Gelaterias this time.

Rinaldi
When we walked through Florence we saw this sign:

Never heared before and not in the magical list but I had to enter and to buy one.

To be honest I wasn´t too impressed. It was a solid Gelato but not more. "World Champion" is a joke.

Edoardo
Edoardo was a recommondation. As they only use biological ingrediens I was of course interested.

What we got was simply stunning. Beautiful, creamy and tasty Gelato. One of the best Gelatos I had in Italy. We visited a second time

Gelateria della Passera
Gelateria della Passera is numer 69 at the Dissapore list, 2017 it was number 35.

The gelato was as expected very good, an absolute recommondation. Personally I liked Edoardo a little bit more, but this is personal taste.
AlicorporateUK and Perche like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perugia: Grambinus

In preparation for our visit we had of course a look at the Dissapore list and number 54 was right in the middle of Perugia.

Gambrinus is a good excample how great Gelato in Italy can be. Great flavours and absolutely delicious. Gambrinus alone is a reason to visit Perugia.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:12 am

I lived in Perugia for three years and nobody local told me about this place: Unfair!!! Every Sunday (almost), throughout the year, I was spending one hour at the Feltrinelli around the corner (on the main street).
Old May 22, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
I lived in Perugia for three years and nobody local told me about this place: Unfair!!! Every Sunday (almost), throughout the year, I was spending one hour at the Feltrinelli around the corner (on the main street).
That´s sad.... But next time
KLouis likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Andrò a farci un giro e vi farò sapere....

Ciaooo! ^
Old May 28, 2019, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Viterbo

Gelateria Il Borgo
Ice cream was pretty good but not more.

Gelateria Gelart

When I entered it looked even better, It seemed it was a family business.

My Gelato was very good, delicious! A strong recommondation.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gelato in Bologna

Cremeria Santo Stefano
It is number 21 at Dissapore list, last year it was number 11.

Gelato was great, very creamy! We even baught a second one

Il Gelato di San Crispino
The Bolognese outpost of the Roman gelateria is located next to Due Torri. Gelato was again great.

Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gelateria K2 Parma

We tried Gelateria K2 in Parma. The gelato was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.