Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italo Salotto Compartment

Old Jul 26, 17, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if anyone has any insight on this but we will be taking the Italo from Rome to Venice. There are 3 of us and we would like to book seats in a private Salotto compartment. What is the chance a fourth passenger would end up in the fourth seat?
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by rktj View Post
Not sure if anyone has any insight on this but we will be taking the Italo from Rome to Venice. There are 3 of us and we would like to book seats in a private Salotto compartment. What is the chance a fourth passenger would end up in the fourth seat?
It's impossible to say without knowing when you are going. Not only the date, but the time of day. I just did that route last Friday, but in Trenitalia. I wanted to use Italitreno just to mix it up, but they only have a few trains a day, and I would have had to wait for several hours.

"When" is always important, because it might be high season or low season, with different crowd pressure. In general, you should be OK. I don't see any reason why an individual would want a salotto seat. The salotti are just two places in the Club Executive car that are walled off for four business travelers to have a meeting so they can talk without bothering others around them. Outside of being walled in, it's the same seat and service outside the salotto as inside the salotto. I can't see any reason why a single traveler would buy a seat in a salotto, since the price can be as high as 400 euros a seat, unless you snag a sale. It's usually used by business people on expense account traveling together, and they should know better than to buy a single and try to sit in on three people having a business meeting if they are traveling alone.

A lot in Italy comes down to "when." If the car is full, for example during Ferragosto, and there is only one seat left, then someone traveling by themselves might have to take a remaining seat in the salotto. Usually, there is not such a demand for the premium car. For that reason, there is the occasional, "buy 4 seats in salotto for the price of 3 promotion." In other words, three people are guaranteed to hold the whole salotto. That ppromotion is not active right now, but they had a lot of salotti going out empty for a while and were trying to get more people to choose it.
Old Jul 29, 17, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Italo offers on Twitter

I have found that Italo offers good discounts/promotions via their Twitter Feed. This one expires on the 31st..
Attached Images  
Old Aug 3, 17, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LTP, Le Club Accor hotels Gold
Originally Posted by rktj View Post
There are 3 of us and we would like to book seats in a private Salotto compartment. What is the chance a fourth passenger would end up in the fourth seat?
I booked a Salotto compartment back in May. When you book a Salotto on Italo you always book the entire compartment, even if only 3. That is, you will not have a 4th person show up. Try booking a Salotto for one or 2 people and you will see the price per passenger go up to cover purchasing the empty seats
Old Aug 3, 17, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Smile

Originally Posted by schriste View Post
I booked a Salotto compartment back in May. When you book a Salotto on Italo you always book the entire compartment, even if only 3. That is, you will not have a 4th person show up. Try booking a Salotto for one or 2 people and you will see the price per passenger go up to cover purchasing the empty seats
Great info! Yes, I don't think there is much of a worry about someone else showing up in your Salotto!

Search this Thread