Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Travel to Rome and Amalfi In Nov.

Old Jul 10, 17, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime

Family travel - Wife, son (21) daughter (16) and I.
the family will be traveling to Italy over the Thanksgiving holiday leaving on the 17th and arriving in Rome on the 18th. The wife and I have been to Rome and Amalfi but wanted to take the kids to Europe and hoping for not to cold weather have picked S Italy.
Questions - Planning on 4 nights in Rome and pretty easy to plan that out but iunsure what to do for the next 4 nights.
Amalfi - I know the Amalfi coast sights is mostly the coast itself and with possible iffy weather, and seasonal closures does this make sense or should we look to go elsewhere?
We will be flying back out of Rome on the 26th with a 1 night layover in Amsterdam.

Suggestions for alternate visit other than Amalfi? Florence? Venice ( cold)
Old Jul 10, 17, 4:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by tuono07 View Post
the family will be traveling to Italy over the Thanksgiving holiday leaving on the 17th and arriving in Rome on the 18th. The wife and I have been to Rome and Amalfi but wanted to take the kids to Europe and hoping for not to cold weather have picked S Italy.
Questions - Planning on 4 nights in Rome and pretty easy to plan that out but iunsure what to do for the next 4 nights.
Amalfi - I know the Amalfi coast sights is mostly the coast itself and with possible iffy weather, and seasonal closures does this make sense or should we look to go elsewhere?
We will be flying back out of Rome on the 26th with a 1 night layover in Amsterdam.

I think there is no better place to be in November than Venice. Not too cold, few tourists, no cruise ships. I go every November and have for years. Your kids will love Venice
Old Jul 11, 17, 12:54 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
November is not cold in Amalfi coast, but it can be rainy.

Actually is the rainiest month of the year, which is not saying too much since we are experiencing a drought going on for at least 6 months.

Many restaurants or shops will be shut, but naturally you won't starve.
All in all if I had to choose between the summer season madness and november I'd go for the latter without a second thought.
Old Jul 11, 17, 1:43 am

...[snip]...Suggestions for alternate visit other than Amalfi? Florence? Venice ( cold)
If I were you, rather than going to Amalfi for 3 days, I'd stay in Naples and visit Amalfi and the costiera on one of them. You'd get a chance to see Naples (lots and lots of things), Pompei, Ercolano and places that are less "famous" but still worth a visit (e.g. Pozuoli, Caserta, etc.), and weather permitting, one of the islands.
Old Jul 11, 17, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
If I were you, rather than going to Amalfi for 3 days, I'd stay in Naples and visit Amalfi and the costiera on one of them. You'd get a chance to see Naples (lots and lots of things), Pompei, Ercolano and places that are less "famous" but still worth a visit (e.g. Pozuoli, Caserta, etc.), and weather permitting, one of the islands.
Thanks, I've been to Naples and had a great time there. That may be a good option.
Old Jul 12, 17, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

bout Sardinia? Difficult to get to in Nov?
Old Jul 13, 17, 1:09 am

bout Sardinia? Difficult to get to in Nov?
Not difficult to get there (look at Ryanair) but will be even more shut down than Amalfi coast. I was once in November and in Costa Smeralda had literally troubles to find some restaurant open.

In this case your best bet is to be based in cities (Alghero) and do day trips.
Old Jul 20, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: DL / MR

Recommend you plan the second leg of your trip around what your family enjoys and what you want to experience. And how you feel comfortable traveling (i.e. will only head to places acceptable by train or willing to rent a car, etc).

If one of your desires is to create new memories with your children in a familiar (experienced) place, then Amalfi sounds like a go.

Plenty of thoughts on this thread about heading south. One alternative -
the temp heading north into Tuscany or Umbria won't change that drastically from Rome in Nov. Avg temp in Rome last Nov was mid-high 60s, compared to low-mid 60s in Umbria. Of course when you get into the hills/mountains the temp swing will increase (same at night) but nothing you won't be prepared for. Also, depends on what you want to experience with your family (countryside vs. city, museums and sight seeing vs. lounging, the comparisons go on).

If you're comfortable driving and enjoy the countryside, head to Umbria. Make Montefalco your base and explore the cities of Perguia, Assisi, Spoleto and/or the wineries in the area. It will be post harvest time but most of the wine should be in its final resting place before bottling and winter 'break' won't have started yet. Just reach out ahead of time to places you might want to visit.

No right or wrong answer here. IMO, winter is a great time to visit Italy, so great choice...
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:06 am

Programs: CX MPC Silver
Will also be going to Amalfi Coast this November with a group of all male friends. We will be flying into Rome, then straight to Naples, which will be our base in exploring Amalfi and nearby areas. We will have around 4 days here.

1. Which mode of transport should we take from FCO to Naples?
2. Should we rent a car to go to Amalfi coast?
3. Can we drive to the top of Mt. Vesuvius?
4. Which area in Naples should we stay?
Old Mar 19, 18, 9:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There is valuable information about travel to Naples in this thread. The New Naples.
Old Mar 20, 18, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
There is valuable information about travel to Naples in this thread. The New Naples.
Just finished reading through the thread, I actually never knew that Naples was like that years ago. But glad that it is very safe now.

So, from Naples, what's the best transport option in going to Amalfi Coast, Sorrento, Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius?
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:58 am

Driving your own car definitely.
November should be easier on your parking patience, but better avoid weekends anyway if you can.
Alternatively a mix of public buses (SITA to Amalfi/Sorrento coast), regional train (Naples to Pompeii) or local rail (Circumvesuviana) from Pompeii to Sorrento.
You can drive up to the Vesuvius and walk the last km. Easy walk, just a bit steep.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 22, 18, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump View Post
Driving your own car definitely.
November should be easier on your parking patience, but better avoid weekends anyway if you can...[snip]...
Parking in Naples? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! As a matter of fact, the only time you can hope to find a spot in less than 50 minutes is on Sundays, between 2 and 5 pm. I fully agree with your remaining advice, though: I'd personally suggest getting a train to Naples and then use a cab or public means (bus/tram, Cumana, Metro, Circumcesuviana).
Old Mar 22, 18, 4:02 pm

It goes without saying I wasn't suggesting to drive or parking in Naples itself, but just driving from the airport or renting the car on the departing day of their stay in Naples.
There's no need of a car in Naples anyway.
Old May 2, 18, 7:28 am

For the following places, can we stay in just one accommodation or should we move to a different hotel for each place?

Naples, Pompeii (with Mt. Vesuvius), Amalfi (and Positano?), and Sorrento.

we’ll spend around 5 days total in these places.

Search this Thread