Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation near the Colosseum & question about timing

Old Jun 12, 17, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Our itinerary is finally shaping up and I've been booking hotels for our vacation in November. We will be coming in overnight from the States to FCO and will arrive around 6:30pm Italy time. We were thinking to pick a 1 night hotel stay that can fit 4 adults near the Colosseum. We will be flying to Bulgaria the next afternoon via CIA. This allowed us to not have a super early flight and as an added perk, it was less expensive.

I doubt we will do much of anything the evening that we arrive except get some sleep. (Flying overnight in economy with teens! ) I was hoping that we might have time to visit the Colosseum the next morning though. From what I read, they open at 8:30. If we were there right when they opened, do you think we would have enough time to visit it and whatever other popular tourist areas near it? The flight to Bulgaria is at 3pm. We would plan to store our bags early in the am and assume that we'd need to leave for the airport somewhere around 1pm. We have lounge access, so if we're early, that's not a big deal. We'll just grab a snack and recharge our phones.

Does this plan seem doable? Any hotel recommendations under $150 that would comfortably fit 4? A separate bedroom is not needed for this night. Lastly, I decided to take the advice of many on here and to use Airbnb for our return trip to Rome where we'll have 4 days to sightsee other locations and am leaning towards this place due to the positive reviews and charm. Any input on the area is also appreciated. 2nd hotel

You guys are wonderful! Thank you.
Old Jun 12, 17, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by TravelingNomads View Post
Our itinerary is finally shaping up and I've been booking hotels for our vacation in November. We will be coming in overnight from the States to FCO and will arrive around 6:30pm Italy time. We were thinking to pick a 1 night hotel stay that can fit 4 adults near the Colosseum. We will be flying to Bulgaria the next afternoon via CIA. This allowed us to not have a super early flight and as an added perk, it was less expensive.

I doubt we will do much of anything the evening that we arrive except get some sleep. (Flying overnight in economy with teens! ) I was hoping that we might have time to visit the Colosseum the next morning though. From what I read, they open at 8:30. If we were there right when they opened, do you think we would have enough time to visit it and whatever other popular tourist areas near it? The flight to Bulgaria is at 3pm. We would plan to store our bags early in the am and assume that we'd need to leave for the airport somewhere around 1pm. We have lounge access, so if we're early, that's not a big deal. We'll just grab a snack and recharge our phones.

Does this plan seem doable? Any hotel recommendations under $150 that would comfortably fit 4? A separate bedroom is not needed for this night. Lastly, I decided to take the advice of many on here and to use Airbnb for our return trip to Rome where we'll have 4 days to sightsee other locations and am leaning towards this place due to the positive reviews and charm. Any input on the area is also appreciated. 2nd hotel

You guys are wonderful! Thank you.
If you leave Rome at 1PM you'll probably miss your flight. You should leave at 11:30 in a taxi, 12PM the latest. With 4 people the taxi will be as cheap as the train.

There is no need to "visit" the Colosseum. You just need to see it, from outside. You will be able to do it the night before, actually. You just want to go for a walk. Walk down the street, past the Forum, which you should also have seen the night before, because day and night are very different for these sites. In the morning get in a good walk. Try to reach Fountain of Trevi, Piazza Navona, then get in a cab back to the hotel, and to the airport sometime between 11:30-12:00. You will see more of Rome by walking than by going inside of the Colosseum.
Old Jun 12, 17, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Nevermind about a hotel or activity for this day. I just realized that I had the times mixed up for our flight. There won't be time for sightseeing on this first leg. Is traffic to CIA really that busy though? If so, we may choose a hotel closer to there.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Jun 13, 17 at 10:42 am

Search this Thread