FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Twin centre (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1847534-twin-centre.html)

heronb Jun 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Twin centre

Having visited Venice and Gardone Riviera last year I am looking to take a trip to Lake Como and Milan with a view to having a similarly wonderful experience. I realise that the cities are very different to one another but was hoping that I would find it to be an interesting place to visit, if there are any suggestions of a place to twin with Lake Como I'd be very grateful.
I have been to a number of places in Italy and have always found the areas both beautiful and fascinating, be it Rome, Florence, Sicily, Amalfi and Capri and would like to visit new places but I do enjoy the contrast of a twin centre trip.

I'm sorry for the general nature of the question but hope for some ideas.

Thanks

Perche Jun 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by heronb (Post 28429939)
Having visited Venice and Gardone Riviera last year I am looking to take a trip to Lake Como and Milan with a view to having a similarly wonderful experience. I realise that the cities are very different to one another but was hoping that I would find it to be an interesting place to visit, if there are any suggestions of a place to twin with Lake Como I'd be very grateful.
I have been to a number of places in Italy and have always found the areas both beautiful and fascinating, be it Rome, Florence, Sicily, Amalfi and Capri and would like to visit new places but I do enjoy the contrast of a twin centre trip.

I'm sorry for the general nature of the question but hope for some ideas.

Thanks

This is confusing. You locate yourself as living in Northern Umbria, but say that you have visited a number of places in Italy, while saying that you live there.

You are going to Lake Como and Milan, and want a city to "twin" with. Do you mean you are looking to drop Milan and find a better second city to twin with? How long is the vacation, and what time of year are you going?

Forstbetrieb Jun 17, 2017 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Perche (Post 28452364)
This is confusing. You locate yourself as living in Northern Umbria, but say that you have visited a number of places in Italy, while saying that you live there.

You are going to Lake Como and Milan, and want a city to "twin" with. Do you mean you are looking to drop Milan and find a better second city to twin with? How long is the vacation, and what time of year are you going?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Northumbria

Perche Jun 17, 2017 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb (Post 28453122)

Interesting. I spent a week in Edinburgh, and didn't know I was in Northumbria. I still don't understand the question.

rickg523 Jun 17, 2017 10:33 am

Lake towns and hill towns? Varenna and Spello, or Todi, or if the hills are too much, Bevagna - the hill town without the hill. All in Umbria.
Or a bigger town like Lucca in Tuscany?
Have you been to Puglia? Or Matera in Basilicata?
With Bellagio, that pairing would be cool/hot, wet/dry, rich/poor.

heronb Jun 18, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Perche (Post 28453687)
Interesting. I spent a week in Edinburgh, and didn't know I was in Northumbria. I still don't understand the question.

Thanks for the clarification regarding my location, made me chuckle.

My question is, would Milan be a good city to twin with Lake Como? Is there a better option, maybe Verona?

I loved Venice but I have read comments that Milan may not be the most interesting city for a tourist, I have been to Rome and Florence and would like to stay in another city which has beauty and interest. I'm interested in architecture, food and drink, shopping etc.

You've spent some time in Edinburgh, that is the type of city I like.

Perche Jun 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by heronb (Post 28457535)

My question is, would Milan be a good city to twin with Lake Como? Is there a better option, maybe Verona?

I loved Venice but I have read comments that Milan may not be the most interesting city for a tourist, I have been to Rome and Florence and would like to stay in another city which has beauty and interest. I'm interested in architecture, food and drink, shopping etc.

It depends on how long the vacation is, and what time of year.

KLouis Jun 19, 2017 8:34 am

... I have been to Rome and Florence and would like to stay in another city which has beauty ...

I'm aware that some will disagree, but personally I think that Milan and beauty are a contradiction in terms. :)

rickg523 Jun 19, 2017 9:28 am

Bologna.

heronb Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523 (Post 28460937)
Bologna.

Thanks for the recommendation, it's not a place that I've checked out but looks close enough to the lakes.