Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Italo club lounges

Italo club lounges

Old Jun 11, 17, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Italo club lounges

Trying to get some sense of what one can expect from Italo lounges and in particular the standard of catering. Are we talking about pre-packaged peanuts/crisps/etc... and basic soft drinks or is it somewhat slightly more elaborate and offers alcoholic drinks, freshly squeezed fruit juices, etc... too?

I suspect the former given that the cost is quite cheap for Prima class ticket holders but I was wondering whether anybody here had direct experience and could comment.
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Trying to get some sense of what one can expect from Italo lounges and in particular the standard of catering. Are we talking about pre-packaged peanuts/crisps/etc... and basic soft drinks or is it somewhat slightly more elaborate and offers alcoholic drinks, freshly squeezed fruit juices, etc... too?

I suspect the former given that the cost is quite cheap for Prima class ticket holders but I was wondering whether anybody here had direct experience and could comment.
Don't expect it to be like a top notch airport lounge. Also, it completely depend in which station you are talking about. For example, the Admirals Club in SFO is completely different from the one in Boston. No one can provide a blanket statement covering all clubs.

From the ones that I've been to, Torino and Milano, it is not like an airline lounge. If you think about it that way, you will be very disappointed. There's a refrigerator with bottled soft drinks. If you want to eat, you have to pre-order it, and they bring a cardboard box with a sandwich to you while you are on the train, with a little bitty bottle of prosecco.

If you expect to eat inside the Italo Lounge, it's mostly going to be from vending machines, including the coffee. I tried it early, and maybe I was ahead of any improvements, but trains in Italy are pretty darn good compared to the USA that there isn't much to do to make it better.

At an airport you have to get there early, so you will have an hour or more to waste. No one shows up an hour early for a train. For that reason, I've found membership in a train lounge program to be not worth it.
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Perche. The station in question is Milano Centrale. I have a little over an hour to lose. I was not expecting to take a meal in the lounge but rather have a kind of pre-lunch drink and snack so wondered whether it might be worth going for the lounge |(for a very cheap €8) or park myself in a bar for a little while. From your description, the latter seems to be a better choice.
Old Jun 11, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Thanks Perche. The station in question is Milano Centrale. I have a little over an hour to lose. I was not expecting to take a meal in the lounge but rather have a kind of pre-lunch drink and snack so wondered whether it might be worth going for the lounge |(for a very cheap 8) or park myself in a bar for a little while. From your description, the latter seems to be a better choice.
It is such a wonderful, historic train station. I love wandering around in there. I wouldn't restrict myself to the lounge. I like to go upstairs and have a coffee, a prosecco, and just watch things. Milano Central is one of the world's great train stations, at least before late at night when it gets a little shady.
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:00 pm

I went to the one in Termini and the one in Napoli. Like Perche mentioned - not worth a detour, but both had decent coffee, soft drink, and beer/wine/prosecco (house brands, nothing fancy). An array of salty and sweet snacks were also available.
Old Jun 11, 17, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche View Post
It is such a wonderful, historic train station. I love wandering around in there. I wouldn't restrict myself to the lounge. I like to go upstairs and have a coffee, a prosecco, and just watch things. Milano Central is one of the world's great train stations, at least before late at night when it gets a little shady.
Last time I was at Centrale station was a very, very long time ago (over 20 years!) and the memory that I had kept of it was a a heavy, over-bearing, almost fascistic structure. It sounds like the time has come for me to re-discover it with fresh eyes.
Old Jun 13, 17, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Milano Centrale has been renovated in the last few years and the inside now resembles a kind of shopping mall with a somewhat awful ramp/escalator thing. There are some nice places to get a coffee and a snack (Venchi ice cream is a favorite on a hot day), a good book store and next to the station (but still more or less inside the building) a giant electronics store that sells everything.

Search this Thread