Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

The hidden 'Platform 21' at Milano Centrale Station: 'Memoriale della Shoah'.

Old Jun 3, 17, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold

I recently took a group of colleagues to 'Platform 21' at Milano Centrale Station: An almost perfectly preserved previously hidden underground area of the station, which is now a permanent memorial to the 650 or so members of the Italian Jewish community who were 'secretly' deported to the death camps towards the end of the 2nd world war.

The memorial is informative, poignant, respectful and moving, and encourages reflection, whilst not holding back on the details of the atrocities. There is a plethora of documents and recordings of witnesses relating to the secret activities which were carried out, concealed from the view of the general Milanese public.

The only downside is that (for the moment at least) the texts of the exhibits are almost entirely in Italian, as are the witness's testimonies.

Here's a link (in Italian):
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoriale_della_Shoah

Entry is by donation–(a recommended minimum of €10). The entrance is in Piazza Edmond J. Safra, 1, which is about 500m from the far right-hand corner of the front of the station (looking at it from Piazza Duca D'Aosta).

In my view it's a 'must see' when in Milan.
Old Jun 3, 17, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Thanks for posting this. Milano Centrale is a great train station. I used to go through it all the time, but I never knew about this. I'll definitely seek it out next time
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:27 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, Aegean silver
Darn, I just passed Milano Centrale from Bologna on the way to lake Como.

Thanks for the great little (unknown) tip - will definitely seek it out next time when at the magnificent Milano Centrale as it sounds really interesting.
Old Jul 18, 17, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
grazia

Thanks, Up in the Air, for posting this amazing information! I am a student of the Holocaust and will be in MXP next month!
Old Aug 7, 17, 11:55 am

Is it going towards Pirelli Tower getting out of cental entrance with taxi stand to your right?
Old Aug 7, 17, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jb12 View Post
Is it going towards Pirelli Tower getting out of cental entrance with taxi stand to your right?
No, the other way. When you're facing the station it's on the far right hand side - about 350m from the corner.

The address is: Piazza Edmund J Saffra, which is a continuation of Via Ferrante Apporti, at the very end of Via Giovanni Pierluigi di Palestrina.
Old Aug 9, 17, 5:47 am

Unfortunately the place is closed until September 3. However here's the site http://www.memorialeshoah.it/italian...-contatti.html
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
recent visitors?

Last summer, I made it to the entrance - only to discover it closed!

Any FTs visit this recently?

In my case, I made it to the Jewish Community Center in Trieste - the town is the site of the only death camp - Risiera - in Italy:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...li_Venezi.html

Search this Thread