Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Itinerary Advice - End of June & Stelvio Pass

Old Jun 1, 17, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

So towards the end of June my wife and I will be doing ~2 week trip to Italy including a few days at the end in Switzerland.

We went to Italy a few years ago on our Honeymoon and hammered out a lot of the "major tourist" stuff, like Rome, Florence, Pisa, Venice.

This time, we want to visit some of the smaller cities and take a little more time to relax and enjoy what Italy has to offer! I myself am a huge car nut, while my wife just enjoys Italy and the things it has to offer (food, wine, sights)

Our Itinerary so far:
Tuscany:
- Fly into FLR, pickup rental car and drive to Tuscany. We are staying in the Renaissance overlooking Barga for 5 nights
- During these 5 nights we plan on doing day adventures including:
Barga
- A beach or coast day (not sure where would be best for views)
- Lucca
- Relax day (maybe drive around the area or do a wine tour)

Bologna:
- We leave Tuscany and have 2 nights at the AC Bologna. One of the days we plan on driving out to go visit the Ferrari museum (not sure which one yet) and the Lamborghini Museum. We also plan on touring around Bologna.

Bolzano:
- We head out to Bolzano for one night. Not sure what there is to do here but it fit well with our route since my goal was to do Stelvio Pass. This day we pass a lot of cities, so I'm not sure where we should be stopping. Verona, Trento, Garda?

Stelvio to Como:
- We leave Bolzano and make the long trek along Stevio pass to Como. From what I've seen, Stelvio pass will offer enough sights and stopping points, so I think we're set for this day (unless there is something along the way we absolutely need to see?)

Como:
- We're in Como for 2 nights, this is where we drop the car. Haven't quite figured out what to do here yet. I saw they have some little trolly thing that climbs up the hill. Could be nice..

Como to Lucerne:
- We hop on the train at S.Giovanni in Como and head to Lucerne. My hopes are up that the sights will be great, I've never taken a train in europe! I have not booked the tickets yet - Should I do this in advance? Also, is the "first class" ticket worth the price? The descriptions online are pretty vague.

Lucerne:
- 3 nights here. We plan on doing the Golden Tour (Worlds steepest cog train, gondola, and boat tour). We'll be at the Renaissance here which seems to be fairly central and short walk from the train. Not sure what else to do here other than tour around and eat

Zurich:
- We take the train from Lucerne to Zurich for our final night. We will cab into town since we're staying at Airport hotel to tour around.

We don't have our roads fully planned out yet as I was going to rely on google navi.

Search this Thread