Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rome-Florence-Venice... where do I fit San Marino?

Old May 2, 17, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver

I will be in Italy for 2 weeks in June and would like to pay a visit to San Marino. I understand it is a micro-country so I should be able to see it in just 1 day. My original itinerary was:
Rome 14-20
San Marino 20-21
Florence 21-26
Venice 26-29 (depart early a.m. 29)

Now that I'm looking at train tickets on Trenitalia it seems like this schedule doesn't work very well - the only Rome-Rimini train on June 20 arrives at 21:00 which is too late to catch the bus to San Marino and pretty much kills my day there, leaving just the morning/afternoon of the 21st to see anything. We *could* do this and then go to Florence in the afternoon/evening...

OR

It's possible for me to stay an extra night in Rome and go Rome-Florence on the 21st. Should I try to make San Marino a day-trip while I'm in Florence? Or go there on my way to Venice? I hesitate on the latter because that means we must have our suitcases with us in SM, whereas a day-trip means we don't need to bring anything with us.

Any advice??
Old May 2, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
I'll start with, what is your purpose in going to San Marino? That figures into the inconvenience factor. If a family member is having a wedding there, then sure. I can't think of another reason to go there. If it's just to say you've been to San Marino, that's a different factor.
Old May 2, 17, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
I want to go because I'm interested in seeing it and don't mind spending extra time/money on trains to make that happen. It seems like a beautiful place! There is a tiny part of me that also wants to go to add it to my list of countries, but I really am interested in seeing it for what it is, not just checking a box. Is it really not worth it?
Old May 3, 17, 7:33 am

Other than the train you mention and a later one, there are several but they're not direct: you'll have to change either in Ancona or in Falconara Marittima. They're slower than the freccia you mentioned, but they cost half as much...

As for San Marino, from the moment you park your car and take an elevator up, you'll need about a maximum of a couple of hours to see the town and enjoy the view towards Rimini. That also includes time for a cafe. Unless you're interested in fake guns of all prices and kinds, as well as watching hordes of tourists window-shopping for fake guns of all kinds, there's really not much to do. I was there two years ago, almost to the day, because my older son had never visited and since I had just done my pelegrinage to Rossini's house at Pesaro I decided that I would go, for the third time in my life, to the least interesting tourist attraction of Italy.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: