Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another (sorry) "Where do I stay in Venice?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
Originally Posted by unknown786
OK! Guess I really need to get off Tripadvisor! Any thoughts on the restaurants or any other food recommendations?
Have a look at Al Covo and Osteria alla Frasca. Both serve excellent food, the former is a bit more formal. I also recommend having as many cicchetti as you possibly can. We tried several well regarded places but Cantine del Vino giŕ Schiavi is by far the favorite.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by unknown786
OK! Guess I really need to get off Tripadvisor! Any thoughts on the restaurants or any other food recommendations?
Brandie had some excellent advice in post#45.
Suggest you read that post before asking (again) about restaurants and other food recommendations
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by obscure2k
That is a great location and the apartment looks wonderful. I rented an apartment in that area some years ago and it was such a good experience. Nice that it has air conditioning. Easy to get over to the Rialto to shop for food you wish to prepare. Really happy for you. Please post updates.
The apartment was pretty awesome. Very nicely decorated inside with lots of light. I wasn't expecting a brand new condo building so the small imperfections didn't bother us. The location was fantastic. We only had two fully days and we walked around the various streets in the quiet evenings. We have decided to come back and stay in Venice for a whole week next time. There is a tourist trap element to Venice but it is an enjoyable place.

We will probably go there next time in early May as the temperatures were a bit hot for enjoyable walking during day time.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
The apartment was pretty awesome. Very nicely decorated inside with lots of light. I wasn't expecting a brand new condo building so the small imperfections didn't bother us. The location was fantastic. We only had two fully days and we walked around the various streets in the quiet evenings. We have decided to come back and stay in Venice for a whole week next time. There is a tourist trap element to Venice but it is an enjoyable place.

We will probably go there next time in early May as the temperatures were a bit hot for enjoyable walking during day time.
Thanks for the feedback. So happy the apartment and location worked out for you. A week in Venice during the off season is quite wonderful. Think about early or late fall for your next visit.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:41 pm

Xmas in Venice
Can anyone suggest where to have Christmas lunch or dinner? I have not asked our hotel if their restaurant will be functioning but wonder if a smaller, more local and intimate place might be a lot more fun. Also, what is the tradition there, main Christmas day meal around midday or in the evening.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by gbs1112
Xmas in Venice
Can anyone suggest where to have Christmas lunch or dinner? I have not asked our hotel if their restaurant will be functioning but wonder if a smaller, more local and intimate place might be a lot more fun. Also, what is the tradition there, main Christmas day meal around midday or in the evening.
Forget it. Chistmas is a time for people to be with their families. Everything will be closed, unless it's a touristy hotel. There are a few dumps near Rialto Bridge that stay op on odd days, but being near the Rialto Bridge, what type of food could you expect? The only place I know of that seems to never close, no matter the day, is Aciugheta, on Campo Santi Filippo e Giacomo, with decent food and plenty of atmosphere. On the border of San Marco and Castello, so maybe a ten minute walk if you are staying near there. I can't guarantee they will be open, but I've spent many holidays there, and the owner always says, "they never close." It's not a fancy restaurant, but right across the alley five steps away the owner has a sister restaurant with a Michelin Star (which I'm sure will be closed.) Otherwise, you're almost certainly stuck with hotel or tourist trap places, or nothing at all.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 4:25 pm

Xmas in Venice
I am pretty certain that Harry's Bar will be open on Christmas Day. Moreover, there will be many locals dining with their families. Don't be put off by the high prices. The portions are very large and one can order a half portion of split any number of dishes. A friend, who is a frequent traveler to Venice, met us last year for a "perfect martini" and was pleasantly surprised by the good food and the local vibe.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:17 am

THANKS. I have made a lunch reservation at Harrys. Does anyone know if they offer a special meal that day or just their regular service. Also, I have not made any table request. Any suggestions? Upstairs, downstairs, not too close to the door (reports that it can be chilly there with frequent door use)

Last edited by gbs1112; Jul 26, 2019 at 11:18 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:00 pm

THANKS. I have made a lunch reservation at Harrys. Does anyone know if they offer a special meal that day or just their regular service. Also, I have not made any table request. Any suggestions? Upstairs, downstairs, not too close to the door (reports that it can be chilly there with frequent door use)
We prefer sitting downstairs, as that is where the locals all dine. Upstairs has a beautiful view of the canal. Don't worry about being close to the door. I have never felt a chill. They may well offer a special Xmas meal. I have seen special meals offered on other occasions. Love Thanksgiving at Harry's. Not just Americans coming in for the turkey dinner, but also a lot of the locals.
Old Dec 25, 2019, 1:32 pm

Harry’s Bar for Xmas

Christmas Day lunch.
It was packed downstairs where we sat and there seemed a never ending stream of people making their way upstairs as well.
There were no obvious tourists (which we were) and it looked as if mainly a local crowd known well to the staff.
People were well but informally dressed and the place had a great buzz.
There was a special Xmas Day lunch menu for €90 but their normal menu was on offer as well.
The meals we had were simple Italian cooking well prepared and presented and the service was outstanding. I was mightily impressed by the teamwork of the wait staff who were able to cope with a very crowded space and make it look easy and fun. This was our best meal in Venice.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:19 pm

Anyone hear anything about/stayed at the Palazzo Veneziano? Considering booking their for part of our honeymoon. 2 nights in a corner suite with jacuzzi for $250 a night, sounds pretty dang reasonable.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:35 am
Suspended

Hi. Can some recommend some cheaper hotel? We do not need anything luxury, just place to sleep.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Limousine Center
Hi. Can some recommend some cheaper hotel? We do not need anything luxury, just place to sleep.
Try the Hotel Centauro - just off campo Manin. Very good prices usually and not too far away from the main attractions, if anything this is a positive so that you can have a peaceful night
obscure2k likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Limousine Center
Hotel Campiello is a throwback to the old Italian backpacker-style pensione (rooms for 1000 Lire - about a buck and half), unfortunately not that cheap in the Euro economy. The rooms are tiny (building was an old convent) and the facilities are old-fashioned but mostly functional, but you can get a room door under 80 bucks right off the Riva in the little alley Calle del Vin just across from the vaporetto stop San Zaccaria B, between the Savoia&Jolanda and the Danielli Annex.
Also, look at the Ostello Venezia (that's on the building, it may go by a different name these days) just across the Guidecca from S. Marco.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:16 pm

A night in a hotel for 1000 Lire?! This was at the time when you could also use Italian banknotes as a tablecloth.
rickg523 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.