2 weeks in Italy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 weeks in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Boybi - We just got back from a few weeks in Italy (in September) and had a itinerary that matched yours, except we spent more time in each city and added Verona.

Milan - I had to add Milan in spite of all the warnings since I am an art buff and had to see the Last Supper. Other attractions are the Duomo and the Pinacoteca. I liked the city and felt it was worth my time. We stayed at the Yard Milano - excellent service and a reasonable price. Very good breakfast as well.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by levistrauss
Boybi - We just got back from a few weeks in Italy (in September) and had a itinerary that matched yours, except we spent more time in each city and added Verona.

Milan - I had to add Milan in spite of all the warnings since I am an art buff and had to see the Last Supper. Other attractions are the Duomo and the Pinacoteca. I liked the city and felt it was worth my time. We stayed at the Yard Milano - excellent service and a reasonable price. Very good breakfast as well.
Hi levistrauss, is it ok for you to share your itinerary? And also the hotels you stayed in each of the cities?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:04 pm

Italy Schedule

Yes, certainly.

I used Chase and AARP in tandem and my Biz class flights to Rome were just $1000 each. Unfortunately this meant that I could not so Open Jaw and had to stick only to BA. But we were used to it since this was our fifth trip to Europe in the past year on these type of conditions. We went by trains everywhere and purchased our tickets in the Station itself. All reservations for the hotels were made the previous day, except the AirBnB.

Rome - AirBNB - 5 days
Stayed in Trestavere. Great time walking around the neighborhood at night - and there are some cozy restaurants in the whole area. Highly recommend Sora Lella.

Venice - 4 days - Hotel Antiche Figure
This hotel is right on the Grand Canal and across the Station. The breakfast is served outside, right on the banks of the canal and the service is excellent.

Verona - 2 days - Hotel Trieste
My mouth still waters when I remember the food from the restaurant called Cangrande. Versona is a beautful town with a fascinating history. I loved every minute of my stay there. The hotel was bland and while I have no complaints I am sure you can do better.

Milan - 5 days - Yard Milano
Stayed at the Yard Milano. Loved it. A restaurant to avoid is Aimo and Nadia, an overpriced piece of crap. Wanted to see an Opera at the La Scala but could not. Saw the last Supper, met up with some friends and some other museums in the Brera.

Florence - One week - Pallazo Castri
Great hotel as mentioned before. Glorence is a great walking city and I had a really good time.

Rome - 2 days
Caught up with the sights we missed, like the Uffizi. Spent the last afternoon on HopOn-Hopff as we had free tickets given to us by the train company.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:05 pm

Correction

Originally Posted by levistrauss
Yes, certainly.

\Rome - 2 days
Caught up with the sights we missed, like the Borghese. Spent the last afternoon on HopOn-Hopff as we had free tickets given to us by the train company.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks levistrauss. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. At the moment, I'm also making plans for our trip to Japan this winter.

Anyway, I would like to ask for restaurant suggestions. I've read the restaurant recommendations in the other thread, and would like to ask for some more restaurants for our 5 day stay in Rome. With the number of restaurants in Rome, should we try to dine in different restaurants each time?

I am interested in these restaurants recommended in the other thread:
Roscioli
Colline Emiliane
Settimio al Pellegrino

I understand that all these places need advance reservations, but how far out should I make the reservation?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Antiche Figure is different one of the worst places to stay in all of Venice. its right outside of the train. Forget about experiencing Venice if you stay across the street from the train station, and almost all food in that area is trucked in from Germany, defrosted and cooked in a microwave at places like Antiche Figure. Tourists will generally say, "Oh Wow!" And not know the difference. Anywhere near the train station should be off limits to someone wanting to experience Venice. That includes Rome as well, but staying near the train station in Venice is the worst of all. The best tactic to experience Venice is to seek to be as far from the train station, Piazza San Marco, and the Rialto Brudge, as possible.

Except for Roscioli, except at highest peak season, reservations are generally OK if made the same day.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 31, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 2, 2016, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
Antiche Figure is different one of the worst places to stay in all of Venice. its right outside of the train. Forget about experiencing Venice if you stay across the street from the train station, and almost all food in that area is trucked in from Germany, defrosted and cooked in a microwave at places like Antiche Figure. Tourists will generally say, "Oh Wow!" And not know the difference. Anywhere near the train station should be off limits to someone wanting to experience Venice. That includes Rome as well, but staying near the train station in Venice is the worst of all. The best tactic to experience Venice is to seek to be as far from the train station, Piazza San Marco, and the Rialto Brudge, as possible.

Except for Roscioli, except at highest peak season, reservations are generally OK if made the same day.
Can you suggest a particular hotel in Venice?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:06 pm

It depends a bit on the time of year, and budget of course. And also, the length of stay. Castello is still true Venice, as are many parts of Cannaregio and some parts of Dorsoduro. In fact, there are many, many unspoiled parts of Venice. And because it is so small, you can stay in those places, then walk to the opera, or to a museum, or anywhere, and still walk back. Offhand, I generally recommend Hotel Bisanzio, for a few reasons, but it depends on the time of the year. You can pay $95 a night, or $650 per night for the same room, depending on when you go. It's that way in most places in Italy.

You are always going to be lost in Venice. That's a good thing. When people ask what they should do in Venice, the number one recommendation, besides going to La Fenice, is to go walking so that you get lost. Just go in the opposite direction from San Marco or the Rialto Bridge.

There is a saying from a famous poet that Venice is the only city in the world where you can close your eyes and walk for one minute, then open them, and your eyes will always land on something beautiful. You can do that all day long, you will never not find yourself able to look at something beautiful.

Of course, you can't really do that, because you will fall into a canal! But if you can blindfold yourself and have someone hold onto your arm so that you don't fall into the water, you will find that saying to be true. There is no escaping the beauty, unless you wander into the crowded areas.

After getting lost, when you want to get back, Hotel Bisanzio is easy. You get to Piazza San Marco, which is the easiest place to find. Walk along the water. In five minutes you will come across a giant church called Santa Maria della Pieta. This is the church where Vivaldi was the choirmaster. It's not a church anymore, but they play his music every night there.

You can't miss the church, and if you go even a little bit too far, you will see the Metropole Hotel, and you'll know you passed it. In fact, carved into the sidewalk there is a sign with an arrow pointing to Hotel Biszanzio, in case you missed the church or the Metropole Hotel. It's maybe 100 feet from the water.

A few blocks around the corner, if you are interested, you can go to the church where Vivaldi was baptized, located in a gorgeous plaza that even in the height of tourist season is always empty except for kids playing, but that's beside the point.

There is a vaporetto stop straight down the street from Hotel Bisanzio, so anywhere you want to go, it's right there. For Venice, the prices are moderate-to-low. Again, it depends upon the time of the year. However, it is always cheaper than most, and better than most.

Just for a hotel, of course Gritti, or Danieli, despite its current problems. But on a moderate budget, Bisanzio is hard to beat.

The best part is that 2-3 blocks away, in fact, just behind the church where Vivaldi was baptized, they have two apartments. Those two apartments are really where you want to stay. Nothing touristy there. They are not AirBnb. They are part of the hotel, with full maid service, and in the morning you walk the two blocks to the hotel for coffee and breakfast.

You may not even want to do that, because you'd be in a real Venetian neighborhood, living like a local, and can get morning coffee in a bakery downstairs. Also for what it seems you need, unlike a hotel where the number of occupants is strictly set by law (you can't squeeze three people into a hotel room for two to save money), each of those apartments can sleep about four people, comfortably, and legally. The price is the same as if staying in the hotel proper in a room with only a queen bed.

If someone wants ultimate luxury, of course something like Gritti, but otherwise, I recommend Hotel Bisanzio. If it isn't available, just don't stay near Piazza San Marco, the Rialto Bridge, or the train station.

Last edited by Perche; Nov 3, 2016 at 12:09 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:30 am
Original Poster

We'll be lugging around 2-3pcs of large suitcases. Should we take the vaporatto or the water taxi? From the website of Hotel Bisanzio, the vaporatto stops at the San Zaccaria (Danieli) stop. Which means it's a long walk to the hotel from there. And if we take the water taxi, it says we will arrive directly to the hotel, which I guess is San Zaccaria (Pieta) stop.

Last edited by boybi; Nov 3, 2016 at 4:26 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

post deleted

Last edited by boybi; Nov 3, 2016 at 4:26 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by boybi
We'll be lugging around 2-3pcs of large suitcases. Should we take the vaporatto or the water taxi? From the website of Hotel Bisanzio, the vaporatto stops at the San Zaccaria (Danieli) stop. Which means it's a long walk to the hotel from there. And if we take the water taxi, it says we will arrive directly to the hotel, which I guess is San Zaccaria (Pieta) stop.
The vaporetto and the water taxi drop you off at the same place. They cannot drop you off right at the hotel because Bisanzio is not on the water. It's a about 100 feet in from the water. The water taxi is nicer, but a lot more money. They are not going to be of much help with your bags because they are not allowed to leave the boat.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Will the vaporetto or water taxi drop us off in front of Hotel Metropole or in front of Danieli?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:44 pm

Oops

Wish I had posted this question to you before I left, Perche.

Luckily we did not eat near the Antiche Figure (except breakfast) but walked around extensively. I must admit that I found Antiche Figure very convenient since it was right outside the rail station and gondola station. And the service was excellent. I understand I could have done better and will stay in the other recommendations on my next visit. We plan to visit again soon :-)

Originally Posted by Perche

Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by boybi
Will the vaporetto or water taxi drop us off in front of Hotel Metropole or in front of Danieli?
Depends. There are two San Zaccaria ACTV stops. If it stops at SZ A, then you have one small bridge to cross. If it stops at B, then you can see Bisanzio straight ahead between Pieta and Metropole. Which one you stop at depends on which line you take. There are several lines (routes).
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Then if I take the water taxi, I can ask to be dropped off at stop B?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.