Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Miren information: Sunday morning, December, online checkin, carry-on only (unless LH forces a check), *G (does that get fast track?). Somewhat lower risk tolerance because of connection in MUC to US.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Perche
It's a 24 hour that is always operational. When KLM staff show up behind the counter and become operational is dependent on how KLM operates, not on how the terminal or airport operates, because it's operational 24 hours. Most airlines have their staff behind the counter and ready to start doing things an hour before the flight, but there's a margin of error around that.
It is my experience that every airline, at every airport in the world, has check in agents on duty at least 3 hours before each flight. Of course, this might be because I am usually flying into or out of Israel or the United States and they want extra time for security but even on intra-Schengen flights I have been able to check in 3 hours early.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
Miren information: Sunday morning, December, online checkin, carry-on only (unless LH forces a check), *G (does that get fast track?). Somewhat lower risk tolerance because of connection in MUC to US.
I'm like you, I'd rather not be stressed, so I err on the conservative side. You have a few good things going for you, being off-season, number 2, flying within Schengen. A lot of people's experience is based in flying from Rome with the final destination being the USA. That converts it into an international flight, with much tighter security. Since Shengen is more or less no borders, it makes it easier. Check in on-line and get your boarding pass at least 24 hours early, or else you'll have to do it at the airport, and that means lines. Sundays are not that slow, because the weekend is ending, and people are flying home, but it's not that bad. Not having to check luggage avoids having to wait on some lines that can be pretty bad. So, boarding pass in hand, no luggage, flying within Schengen makes that, "Get there 3 hours early" untrue. Not having status to get you through FastTrack security does complicate things, and depending on the lines, can add 45 minutes to an hour. However, going to the main information booth in the lobby you can purchase FastTrack for only 5 euros, cheaper if went to the airport on the Leonardo Express and show the ticket. I've heard rumors that they will be shutting down this 5 euro FastTrack, but I'd check closer to the travel date, and then play it by ear. If the airport is packed, it's worth it. I like being in the airport, and heading to the lounge, so I usually plan on getting there 1.5-2.0 hours early, but I haven't checked luggage in almost 20 years, had high status with AA, and have FastTrack. G fares will not get you FastTrack. That's cheapest economy fare. You can do it in an hour and a half, but there could be some stress, so try for two hours early, and that should be fine with online checking and boarding pass, which has made some of the old recommendations obsolete.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
It's a 24 hour that is always operational. When KLM staff show up behind the counter and become operational is dependent on how KLM operates, not on how the terminal or airport operates, because it's operational 24 hours. Most airlines have their staff behind the counter and ready to start doing things an hour before the flight, but there's a margin of error around that.
Thank you! I don't take many intra-europe flights. this is very helpful and probably buys me some extra sleep!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
It is my experience that every airline, at every airport in the world, has check in agents on duty at least 3 hours before each flight. Of course, this might be because I am usually flying into or out of Israel or the United States and they want extra time for security but even on intra-Schengen flights I have been able to check in 3 hours early.
Checkin desks for early morning European flights are unlikely to be open so early, in AMS for example KLM only opens their desks at 04:30, with the earliest flight leaving before 7AM.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:36 am

I'm like you, I'd rather not be stressed, so I err on the conservative side. You have a few good things going for you, being off-season, number 2, flying within Schengen. A lot of people's experience is based in flying from Rome with the final destination being the USA. That converts it into an international flight, with much tighter security. Since Shengen is more or less no borders, it makes it easier. Check in on-line and get your boarding pass at least 24 hours early, or else you'll have to do it at the airport, and that means lines. Sundays are not that slow, because the weekend is ending, and people are flying home, but it's not that bad. Not having to check luggage avoids having to wait on some lines that can be pretty bad. So, boarding pass in hand, no luggage, flying within Schengen makes that, "Get there 3 hours early" untrue. Not having status to get you through FastTrack security does complicate things, and depending on the lines, can add 45 minutes to an hour. However, going to the main information booth in the lobby you can purchase FastTrack for only 5 euros, cheaper if went to the airport on the Leonardo Express and show the ticket. I've heard rumors that they will be shutting down this 5 euro FastTrack, but I'd check closer to the travel date, and then play it by ear. If the airport is packed, it's worth it. I like being in the airport, and heading to the lounge, so I usually plan on getting there 1.5-2.0 hours early, but I haven't checked luggage in almost 20 years, had high status with AA, and have FastTrack. G fares will not get you FastTrack. That's cheapest economy fare. You can do it in an hour and a half, but there could be some stress, so try for two hours early, and that should be fine with online checking and boarding pass, which has made some of the old recommendations obsolete.
I mostly agree, but (bolded above) OP is not referring to a G fare, and for that matter, fare buckets vary by carrier (for instance what you're referencing as a cheap fare would actually be a discounted business fare on Delta). *G is FT shorthand for Star Alliance Gold status.

*G does have fast track in T3, and I believe LH flies out of T3 for all flights at FCO, but I could be wrong about that. With a boarding pass in hand and no luggage to check, I'd probably be there 90 minutes out, but that's my general rule for larger airports. It usually ends up with some time to mill around or stop at the lounge if there's a decent one (FCO generally being full of mediocre lounges, unless anything's changed).

As for the person asking about the KLM flight to AMS, without any additional detail, I'd say just show up 2 hours early. At least, that's what I do when I have bags to check, no relevant status, and flying economy from FCO T1.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I mostly agree, but (bolded above) OP is not referring to a G fare, and for that matter, fare buckets vary by carrier (for instance what you're referencing as a cheap fare would actually be a discounted business fare on Delta). *G is FT shorthand for Star Alliance Gold status.

*G does have fast track in T3, and I believe LH flies out of T3 for all flights at FCO, but I could be wrong about that. With a boarding pass in hand and no luggage to check, I'd probably be there 90 minutes out, but that's my general rule for larger airports. It usually ends up with some time to mill around or stop at the lounge if there's a decent one (FCO generally being full of mediocre lounges, unless anything's changed).

As for the person asking about the KLM flight to AMS, without any additional detail, I'd say just show up 2 hours early. At least, that's what I do when I have bags to check, no relevant status, and flying economy from FCO T1.
I'm getting confused as to whether we were talking KLM or LH. G is the economy fare bucket on KLM.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Any recommendation of when to show up for FCO-TLV on AZ tomorrow night (22:50), no checked luggage, non-EU passport, yes SkyPriority (does that only matter for security)?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Any recommendation of when to show up for FCO-TLV on AZ tomorrow night (22:50), no checked luggage, non-EU passport, yes SkyPriority (does that only matter for security)?
Security flying to Israel or the USA can take extra time so I'd give that around 2-2.5 hours, just in case, although it will probably take less time.

Last edited by Perche; Dec 4, 2017 at 9:17 am
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by angra
I have a 6am flight departing Terminal 1 (FCO-AMS on KLM). What's the earliest that terminal 1 is likely to be operational? I've read a lot of reports of 5am for other terminals but nothing specifically about 1.
adding back some additional information in case anyone has a similar question.

My ticket is a Delta ticket (and the flight is marketed as a DL flight), but checkin is handled by KLM.

KLM allowed online checkin and print of boarding passes the night before. Without bags, I could probably get through security any time.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:53 am

Follow-up to my question - arrived Sunday morning around 6:50am. Online checkin and carry-ons only. Fast track lane didn't say who was eligible, but we used it (*G). Regular line wasn't huge, but also not moving quickly (maybe 20 mins)? We were eating breakfast inside the terminal (T3) by about 7:15.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:17 pm

Follow-up to my question - arrived Sunday morning around 6:50am. Online checkin and carry-ons only. Fast track lane didn't say who was eligible, but we used it (*G). Regular line wasn't huge, but also not moving quickly (maybe 20 mins)? We were eating breakfast inside the terminal (T3) by about 7:15.
Great feedback! The internet is full of myths about needing to arrive 3 hours early, and FCO being a mess. That hasn't been my experience. You arrived less than two hours before departure, and had time inside to spare for an airside breakfast. This varies by flight, time, and season, but this is great feedback for all.
drewguy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:23 pm

Well, for all I know it's a total mess if you're checking bags or need BP (although I think they have automated machines)! But if you're not, 3 hours would have been way too much. Even 2 hours was more than needed.
Perche likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by angra
adding back some additional information in case anyone has a similar question.

My ticket is a Delta ticket (and the flight is marketed as a DL flight), but checkin is handled by KLM.

KLM allowed online checkin and print of boarding passes the night before. Without bags, I could probably get through security any time.
Ah, I would have confirmed that for you in advance had I known. I do have plenty of experience flying combinations of DL/AF/KL/AZ on DL tickets and codeshares. FWIW, that particular TATL JV (too many acronyms - transatlantic joint venture) is really well-integrated from a customer perspective. They all seem to handle one another's customers if you need help, and you don't get much pushback on technicalities like ticket stock and marketing carrier.

Not to go to full tangent mode, but a solid example: Earlier this year I had a ticket FLR-CDG-BOS, on Alaska Air stock, AF operated (and AF flight numbers). Fog out of FLR canceled the flight, with an Italian twist - they moved it to BLQ. We got to BLQ, but not in time. We ended up getting help from a KL agent, who put us on BLQ-CDG (AF), CDG-AMS (KL), AMS-BOS (DL). They did a really nice job. The only thing they wouldn't do was endorse the ticket to UA, who could have gotten us home same day - they initially wanted to, but said they could not because Alaska issued the ticket and it was an award, which in hindsight I thought was fair enough.

IMHO, Skyteam is the way to go from the US to Europe (on DL/AF/KL/AZ), but that's just my opinion. My experience isn't all-encompassing, but I've flown all 3 alliances enough to say that this group does the best when things go wrong. *A and OW seem to at least try to find a reason where it's the customer's fault, but I've never gotten that treatment from ST.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:42 am

Well, for all I know it's a total mess if you're checking bags or need BP (although I think they have automated machines)! But if you're not, 3 hours would have been way too much. Even 2 hours was more than needed.
How far in advance did you get there? I'm just trying to have another data point on whether the 90 minutes I threw out there was still good advice or if I need to adjust that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.