Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 7:27 am
JBD

Originally Posted by Perche
...But my impression based on just my two trips to Rome this year is that barring unforeseen circumstances, you will have time to take a shower in the first class lounge when you get there.
Are you sure about this? Not the timing of the OP's transfer, but your comment about taking a shower. If so, then that's a recent development for the better!

(In the past there was no AA arrivals lounge that one could access at FCO.)
Old May 2, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
That's a pretty strong indicator that the survey is unreliable!
Originally Posted by JBD
Are you sure about this? Not the timing of the OP's transfer, but your comment about taking a shower. If so, then that's a recent development for the better!

(In the past there was no AA arrivals lounge that one could access at FCO.)
Surveys can be unreliable, but in many ways, the world is based on surveys. That's how they determine the price of milk. Government employees walk around grocery stores and write down what they see in the shopping carts, and that's how the government calculates the Consumer Price Index, to which the rate of inflation is pegged. They also survey how much money people paid for cars, by zip code. That being said, it's easy to do a bogus survey, too. It depends on how you frame the questions. There is a whole field of survey science where people debate this, and they do so as seriously as people who debate genetics.

I passed through the new T3 twice this year, debarking, not making a connection, and it was fabulous. I do not know about luggage. A trip to Varenna was ruined in the early 1990's due to mishandled luggage at JFK, connecting from Seattle. I haven't checked a bag since. I buy what I need when I get there, and I bring old things I'm willing to leave behind to make space if I buy new things. Having no baggage has saved me countless times when needing to change flights due to delays, etc.

I can say with certainty that lines to pick up baggage at FCO are uncertain, and cannot be predicted even the day before, as KLouis has said many times, but I do not have experience with the luggage.

The recent survey about the Rome airport being the best in Europe is here, and it focused mainly on the ease of getting through security, the speed of the service, the free wi-fi, the automated passport security for EU passport holders, and the courtesy of the personnel:
http://quifinanza.it/finanza/fiumici...-europa/88674/

"Fiumicino è l’aeroporto preferito dai viaggiatori in Europa" = Fiumicino is the preferred airport for travelers in Europe.)

People have a lot of stereotypes about Italy that are usually not correct. It's just different, in its own way.

The article goes on to say, "18 Ottobre 2016 - (Teleborsa) – Non si direbbe, ma Roma batte Monaco e Londra per qualità degli aeroporti. Secondo un sondaggio condotto su 250 scali nel mondo dall’ACI – Airport Council International, attraverso interviste ai passeggeri sulla qualità percepita, l’aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci di Fiumicino si classifica sul podio." = "You shouldn't say this, but Rome defeated Monaco and London in the quality of its airports, according to a survey conducted by Airport Council International, interviewing passengers about their perception of quality, the FCO airport takes the top spot on the podium."

With a first class ticket, barring luggage issues, jjmpdx should have no trouble accessing the Le Anfore lounge to take a shower with a two hour layover in Rome.

I'd only worry about the luggage factor. That's unpredictable. It's hard to get a line on that, even the day before.

I might have misspoken, because I really don't know about the luggage factor. For just a simple connection in Rome, 2 hours and 15 minutes is plenty of time for a shower and a nice respite in the lounge.

Last edited by Perche; May 2, 2017 at 9:33 am
Old May 2, 2017, 10:44 am

I've been through FCO a couple of times this year. It's fine, maybe even the most improved. Not nearly as difficult as LHR or CDG, or even the new setup at AMS (which used to be so easy). But if you gave me a choice on where in Europe to connect, it'd be ZRH 100% of the time for me.

FWIW, luggage hasn't been a problem at all for me at FCO this year. Then again, I waited so long in the EU passport control line last time that the bags could have walked themselves to the belt.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:24 am

You shouldn't say this, but Rome defeated Monaco and London in the quality of its airports
Monaco here means Munich.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:35 pm

135 minutes is always more than enough for the kind of connection described at FCO, unless:

1) delayed arrival of the incoming flight and
2) a wildcat strike of the baggage handlers.

There are, statistically, very few chances for #2 happening, and as for #1 , well, check the flight's statistics and decide based on that and on your linking or not gambling.
Old May 7, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
No More T5 Segregation

Originally Posted by RoaminRoman
I'm not sure when this started, but flights from Fiumicino on U.S. carriers and on El Al no longer use T5 for check-in. The counters are now in T3 at the far left end of the hall (counter numbers 400 +). Passengers who check in for these flights have a separate security section, as well. My flight on UA this morning left from the E gates (the former G gates). The lounge is still Le Anfore.
So I learned about this the hard way (well, not as hard as it could have been). Upon arriving at FCO yesterday, I (mistakenly ) informed my taxi driver that I was departing on United out of T5. He then started speaking very quickly (too quickly for me, unfortunately). But I still got the basic drift: he thought T5 was now closed, he didn't really understand what was going on and that he thought United was flying from somewhere else. So -- and I don't know if this was just to show me or to confirm it for himself -- he drove by T5 and, indeed, it was completely blocked off to my surprise. He then drove me over to T3 where I could see, indeed, that United check-in was being advertised. So I paid my €48 (no extra charge for the tour of the now-defunct T5 ) and headed in to catch my flight. I was definitely running late yesterday morning, but I fortunately still had enough margin for the little detour. I guess it serves me right for not reading FT as thoroughly as I should be.

As far as I'm concerned, good riddance! I never did like having to go through T5. It was one reason I didn't like flying directly to the US from FCO. Apparently, FCO management felt the same about T5. ^
Old May 14, 2017, 12:43 pm

Rome FCO connections

We fly on 2 separate bookings (long story). The first is from Houston to Paris then Paris to Rome. We arrive Rome FCO at 1:05pm. The second booking is from Rome to Athens and leaves FCO at 2:50. The original flight into Rome from Paris was supposed to land at 11:00am, the airlines changed the schedule so we have les time and are worried. Anyway, my questions are:
1. Will we clear passport control when we arrive in Paris or when we arrive in Rome?
2. Do we have time to make this connection from Paris to Rome to Athens now? 1 hours and 45 minutes with checked baggage?

I have called Alitalia but I get a call center in Albania and I have been told both its not problem you will make it and another time no way I wont make it
Old May 14, 2017, 8:33 pm

Let me start by being somewhat nasty: Instead of starting a new thread, you should have read through the dedicated one where all needed info is provided.

Anyway, here's a condensed info on what to expect:

1) Immigration will be in Paris, when you first enter the Schengen area.

2) 1:45 is enough time, provided your incoming flight is not delayed. Also, assuming that you're flying AZ to and from FCO, you could ask the CI agents at Houston to check your luggage through to your final destination (mind you, they're not obliged to do so). How long it will take to get the bag at FCO (if they don't check it to ATH), combined with a potential delay from CDG will basically determine your ability to connect. Unfortunately you can't predict the time.

All in all, although in theory (and statistically) doable, it will be a slightly "stressy" operation... Some stress or 7 more hours of waiting at the airport plus an arrival after midnight, that is the question.

By the way, welcome to FT!

Last edited by KLouis; May 15, 2017 at 2:14 am
Old May 16, 2017, 9:29 am

Talked my wife into packing in a carry on. That should help with the time. Now just hope flights are not too late arriving from IAH or CDG. Thanks for the info.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:26 am

Early Morning Flight out of FCO

Hello! I have question regarding the hours of operation for the airport. We are flying to Mykonos on a 3:50am flight out of T3. Will the terminal and more importantly security be open? We arrive at 12:30pm Tuesday and leave 3:50 am Wednesday so we will be going to Rome for the day. I just don't want any surprises when we get to the airport to check in.

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2017, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by fumunda2jp
Talked my wife into packing in a carry on. That should help with the time. Now just hope flights are not too late arriving from IAH or CDG. Thanks for the info.

Be careful with that. Alitalia allows a maximum of 8 kgs for your hand luggage. It is my experience that it is not very strict for Biz Class passengers but it is for Economy Class.

If you are flying on Air France the limit is 12 kgs.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by pamdo
Hello! I have question regarding the hours of operation for the airport. We are flying to Mykonos on a 3:50am flight out of T3. Will the terminal and more importantly security be open? We arrive at 12:30pm Tuesday and leave 3:50 am Wednesday so we will be going to Rome for the day. I just don't want any surprises when we get to the airport to check in.

Thanks!
If there is a flight taking off, security will have to be open, but don't expect anything else to be, I think the earliest anything opens is probably about 5AM
Old May 29, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Another FCO layover thread

Hi I'm sure there's plenty of these...

I'm tentatively looking at arriving into FCO at 10:35, with a flight out on QR at 17:35

I'll be arriving and leaving from terminal 3. I'll have to collect luggage, and either check it in, or store it until I come back at left luggage.

I'd be looking at getting to see the main sites, and a decent lunch somewhere not fancy but good.

I looked into renting a car, but the major thought is "DONT".

So it looks like I'd have a comfortable 2 to 2.5 hours in the center of rome to stroll around.

Should I look at taking a bus in, or a taxi? and whats my optimum sightseeing route?

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Asked and answered myriad times over.
Try searching "FCO layover" or similar
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ay-nearby.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...mins-taxi.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...n-options.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...-24-hours.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...lace-rome.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 29, 2017 at 4:51 pm Reason: added thread links
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:42 am

Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 in FCO Airport

Im flying into FCO airport and will arrive on 13:45 in Terminal 1 with Alitalia in coach from AMS with checked-in luggage, but have another flight to catch on a separate ticket with Saudia in business leaving from T3 with a departure time at 15:40

Am I able to make it or is this too tight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.