Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old May 18, 22, 12:39 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: rove312
Wiki Link
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 2, 21, 11:39 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
Look for hotels in the town of Fiumicino, there are a few. Ostia, a few km further south, is also a possibility. The rooms will be well under 100€/night. I know for sure that there is a bus between Ostia and the airport and there may well be one to/from Fiumicino too; otherwise, a taxi would bring your expenses way up again. I'm certain that you could check-in at the hotels around midnight but, just to make sure, call them before booking.
There are a couple of buses that go to the bus station drive-through at Fiumicino from the bus area outside terminal arrivals. However, the smaller white local "Trotta #8" bus (1 euro or 1.5 euro, per drivers) is boarded across the street and hedge at a stop just before crossing the one lane to the Leonardo train entrance (ground level, outside). Usually runs every 40 minutes (may be 1 hour on weekends). You can use the Moovit or Rome2Rio apps for timing, too. They also list the other companies that go through the arrivals area (blue bus, for example). Someone may have more specific info. There is a stop not only at the Fiumcino bus area, but also by the Mercure Hotel (a couple of blocks from Best Western) and around the corner on the sidestreeet (inbound to airport only) just before the Todis grocery store.
Old Dec 2, 21, 6:15 pm

I've made some edits to the wiki.
Old Dec 6, 21, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold, VA Platinum.
When overnighting at FCO (or for a bit longer), I usually stay in Ostia. Have stayed in Fiumicino, but there's not much to do there.

Ostia is half an hour from FCO by Bus (https://servizi.cotralspa.it/Orari) and it's lovely place by the sea with lots of good value hotels and restaurants, etc,

Even a taxi was only EUR 25 the last time I used one, but as I haven't been to FCO for a couple of years things may well have changed.

But the bus to Ostia, from right outside T1 arrivals hasn't changed (see the Cotral website above). However you will need to get a ticket prior to boarding (they were available at the coffee shop in T1 arrivals when I was last there).
Old Dec 6, 21, 8:11 am

Noting that the current posts about staying in Ostia and Fiumicino appear to be in reply to posts from almost two years ago, for a cheap stay close to the airport a friend recommends L'Isola B&B in Fiumcino: https://www.bedbreakfastfiumicino.com/?lang=en . Apparently the owner will pick up and drop off at the airport.
Old Dec 14, 21, 9:52 am

Programs: FB Plat; AS 75K; UA Gold MM; AA Exec Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Amb; Hilton Gold; National EE
Based on what I have read, the Plaza Premium lounge is accessible to Schengen passengers. Is that correct? I will be departing to France.
Old Jun 15, 22, 5:33 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread. I heard many stories about the long security and passport control lines in EU airports this summer. Is there any recent FCO experience? My flight is early July on TAP FCO-LIS-ORD.
Old Jun 18, 22, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Similar question to the above but a bit more timely as I’m flying out of FCO in a couple of days for IST and then onward. Is 90 min still sufficient time to arrive at the airport for an early morning flight or must I leave more time these days?
Old Jun 20, 22, 5:16 pm

Customs at FCO

Hello,
Does anybody know if Customs will be open early morning on Sunday? I fly out July 10 from FCO at 10.30am on American. I ask because I will have to do VAT Tax refund procedure and the first step is to get the VAT receipts stamped by customs by showing them the goods and the receipts..

TIA,
KG
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by kgdg View Post
Hello,
Does anybody know if Customs will be open early morning on Sunday? I fly out July 10 from FCO at 10.30am on American. I ask because I will have to do VAT Tax refund procedure and the first step is to get the VAT receipts stamped by customs by showing them the goods and the receipts..

TIA,
KG
We had a flight out at 10:30 am on a Monday, and the VAT refund station was already open when we got there. Note that it is after you check in at the airline and before you go through security. Can’t speak to Sunday specifically though.
Old Jun 23, 22, 10:11 am

Thanks BeachRat. I am hoping they are open on Sunday as well...
BeachRat likes this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 1:15 pm

I got a news alert that new Frecciarossa trains to/from Naples and Florence are being added on July 11:

Frecciarossa 8335 Fiumicino Aeroporto 9.38 - Napoli Centrale 11.33
Frecciarossa 8334 Napoli Centrale 5.45 - Fiumicino Aeroporto 7.52
Frecciarossa 9591 Firenze Santa Maria Novella 07.05 - Fiumicino Aeroporto 09.22
Old Jul 3, 22, 10:53 pm

Programs: QF, CX, BA
I have a question re transferring Schengen -> Non Schengen at FCO.

Flying KLM AMS-FCO then QF FCO-PER with an 80 minute transfer on one ticket. If I look at the FCO website for this type of transfer, it says I need to collect my bags and go out to check them in again (see image below).

This seems extremely odd to me, I would have thought going from S to NS no further check-in would be required and I could just go through transfer security and passport control.

Is the information on the FCO website correct?
Old Yesterday, 12:24 am

[QUOTE=mitellic;34394234]I have a question re transferring Schengen -> Non Schengen at FCO.

Flying KLM AMS-FCO then QF FCO-PER with an 80 minute transfer on one ticket. If I look at the FCO website for this type of transfer, it says I need to collect my bags and go out to check them in again (see image below).

The graphic you've linked comes out, when I try to replicate it, through the "Rome Self Connect" form

Roma Self Connect

What it is

The Self Connect Service is for all passengers who have purchased two separate tickets and have a layover at Fiumicino or who are organising their trip and want to discover their best flight combination.

How it works

Simple and fast, passengers need only select various options (origin/destination country; with or without hold luggage; with or without boarding card) to view the correct route to take through the airport.
https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...self%2Bconnect

Since, as you say, the transfer you have is on one ticket then this doesn't apply. Your bag will be tagged all the way through at AMS (do check they do that) and as long as you have boarding passes for both flights you just need to go through security again and passport control at FCO.
mitellic likes this.
Old Yesterday, 4:23 am

Programs: QF, CX, BA
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
The graphic you've linked comes out, when I try to replicate it, through the "Rome Self Connect" form

Since, as you say, the transfer you have is on one ticket then this doesn't apply. Your bag will be tagged all the way through at AMS (do check they do that) and as long as you have boarding passes for both flights you just need to go through security again and passport control at FCO.

Ahhh that makes a lot more sense. I missed the bit about ‘self connect’ and then was quite confused why it was saying I would need to collect the bags.
obscure2k and 13901 like this.

Search this Thread