Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:06 pm
JBD

How fantastic - what a great report alexzl, thanks for sharing it with us! Enjoy your time in LA!
alexzl likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Are there any lounges accessible for arriving passengers from the US (E gates)? Arriving around 7am after a redeye, and it would be nice to freshen up before leaving the airport.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:27 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey
Are there any lounges accessible for arriving passengers from the US (E gates)? Arriving around 7am after a redeye, and it would be nice to freshen up before leaving the airport.
The only arrivals lounge open to the paying public that I'm aware of is that HelloSky lounge discussed a few posts up. It opens at 7am (and has shower facilities and food, etc).

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in, I'd love the info too.
InsipidMonkey likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:00 am

If you arrive from the US with Alitalia or Delta, you’ll probably desembark from the departure level of the new pier (incoming passengers from the US don’t need to reclear security). If you’re flying AZ/DL business class, you are eligible to use Alitalia’s Piazza di Spagna lounge (if the lounge is not too crowded, they usually let arriving passengers in).
Otherwise, you can pay a Plaza Premium Lounge access (usually they let arriving passengers in), or use the HelloSky Lounge mentioned above (located in a public area, next to FCO’s train station).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Will you have any checked luggage?

Personally, I would not be thrilled by the idea of having my luggage revolving on the belt where anyone can grab it while I am spending my time in a lounge. (Yes, I know that whoever takes it will have to go through Customs but I have never been stopped by them on any flight into Italy.)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
Will you have any checked luggage?

Personally, I would not be thrilled by the idea of having my luggage revolving on the belt where anyone can grab it while I am spending my time in a lounge. (Yes, I know that whoever takes it will have to go through Customs but I have never been stopped by them on any flight into Italy.)
All checked bags from non-EU countries are x-rayed on their way to the baggage carousel. If they see something suspicious, they’ll stop the bag regardless if you are the owner or not. And since everyone going through customs is responsible of what is carrying, nobody wants to steal something if he/she doesn’t know what could be inside.
And when the delivery is completed, the remaining bags are removed from the belt and dropped in a separate area next to it.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by edo01

All checked bags from non-EU countries are x-rayed on their way to the baggage carousel. If they see something suspicious, they’ll stop the bag regardless if you are the owner or not. And since everyone going through customs is responsible of what is carrying, nobody wants to steal something if he/she doesn’t know what could be inside.
And when the delivery is completed, the remaining bags are removed from the belt and dropped in a separate area next to it.
That means that the bags do not contain anything illegal. It does not mean that they do not contain valuable items. Incidentally, while waiting for my own bags I have often seen bags from the previous flight still on the belt. There is nothing to stop someone from picking up one of those bags and walking out. (It certainly would not be the first time.)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:20 am

Reservation from FCO to BOS connecting in Madrid -What time to arrive at FCO airport?

My wife & I are flying out of FCO on Iberia departing at 7:40 AM (Terminal 3?)
Final destination on flight reservation is BOS, but is connecting in Madrid.
(Arriving in Madrid at 10:15 AM and departing Madrid at 12:45 PM)
We are US citizens & are checking 1 bag each.
Earliest Leonardo Express Train from Rome Termini station to FCO arrives at FCO terminal 3 at 5:52

I have been google-ing all things related to what time to arrive at FCO and the answers conflict.
People asking related questions who were connecting in Ansterdam, as an example, before US final destination were answered that 2 hours is sufficient since the first leg of their reservation is to another EU country.
Others answered similar questions as a blanket statement that 3 hours are needed for all international flights.

I don't understand when passport control will check passports (FCO or Madrid) or how long the line will be (based on the "connecting in Ansterdam example above) or how bad the lines for checcking bags will be.
A aslo know that time of day, day of week, month of year, and itinerary can all play a part in security lines.
I would like to take the Leonardo Express to get to the airport but that arrives there just shy of 2 hours before our flight.
In fact I had already bought tickets for that train before I started second guessing myself. Taxi's are more than double the price and that will be over & above the nonrefundable train tix.

I am asking people with experience with flights from FCO to the US that connect in EU countries for their advice on what time I need to be at FCO based on your experience
...and asking people with no experience in that matter whatsoever (and are simply guessing) but still feel a burning need to give the standard "3 hours for all international flights" to refrain.

My confusion simply lies in the conflicting answers others received for similar questions and my total lack of experience of how passengers are processed at FCO for reservations that have the US as a final destination but connect in the EU...Isn't the first leg still an international Flight? (Madrid is in a different country than Italy...and so is Amsterdam in the example above). Or is it treated differently? I simply don't want to waste my money and time for nothing...but can't afford to miss my flight. All sincere thought out and explained answers are appreciated.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:52 am

You are getting conflicting answers because you are asking the same question in different forums and get answers from all kinds of good Samaritans, including ones who worry too much like you or some who have no idea but still want to say something. Now to you.

Simple: you'll arrive at FCO 2 hours and 12 minutes before the departure of your flight; this is more than enough time to check-in for an intra-Europe flight (Schengen, for that matter), go through security (no passport/police/iimigration control!) and walk the 5-10 minutes to the gate (C gates). No way of predicting the length of the queues at CI, but with, usually, 4 positions (wo)manned and many people having no bag and already OLCI's, waiting will be rather short. Therefore, enough time for some shopping left, as well as for a last cappuccino. So stop worrying and learn to love the bomb!

Of course there is always Murphy's law to consider. If you are one of these people who atract all bad things there is only one solution, go to the airport the evening before as taxis could have a flat or trains could derail.

Conclusion: take the train that gets there at 5:52 and everything will be fine!

PS Intra-Schengen flights (Italy, netherlands and Spain are all part of that club) are handles as domestic flights
HiramAbif likes this.

Last edited by KLouis; Mar 20, 2019 at 9:00 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
You are getting conflicting answers because you are asking the same question in different forums and get answers from all kinds of good Samaritans, including ones who worry too much like you or some who have no idea but still want to say something. Now to you.

Simple: you'll arrive at FCO 2 hours and 12 minutes before the departure of your flight; this is more than enough time to check-in for an intra-Europe flight (Schengen, for that matter), go through security (no passport/police/iimigration control!) and walk the 5-10 minutes to the gate (C gates). No way of predicting the length of the queues at CI, but with, usually, 4 positions (wo)manned and many people having no bag and already OLCI's, waiting will be rather short. Therefore, enough time for some shopping left, as well as for a last cappuccino. So stop worrying and learn to love the bomb!

Of course there is always Murphy's law to consider. If you are one of these people who atract all bad things there is only one solution, go to the airport the evening before as taxis could have a flat or trains could derail.

Conclusion: take the train that gets there at 5:52 and everything will be fine!

PS Intra-Schengen flights (Italy, netherlands and Spain are all part of that club) are handles as domestic flights
Thanks KLouis,
lol - This is the first forum I've asked any related question (other than google-ing & reading answers to other people's similar questions wherever google led. I am a newbie to Europe & to international flights reservations with connections that don't connect in the US. That said, thank you for your patience & understanding.

To you &/or anyone else:
Still unclear to me (& possibly unimportant) is: Do we go though Passport control at some point?..If so, when?...when catching our connection in Madrid??
In Madrid do we need to anything except get off one Iberia Plane from Rome & onto the other that flys to Boston? I plan to check us into both flight online. I assume the baggage we checked in Rome stays checked & they forward it to the new plane just like connecting flights in the US? Am I required to do anything before boarding that plane? Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
IME, my passport is only controlled at the point of departure to the US. If I fly FCO to FRA before heading on to the United States, my passport is checked at FRA. If it's FCO to the US, I go through passport control at FCO. I never see my bag again after checking it at FCO ... until I have to pick it up state-side, walk it ~75 feet and put it on a conveyor belt so that it can go to my connecting flight (I have never understood why I need to be involved in that part of the process).

So I would expect that your passport won't be checked until you get to MAD and that you won't see your bag until you arrive in BOS after leaving it in Rome. But I am not 100% certain that this works the same with all European airports and US connections.
HiramAbif likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:07 pm

Thank you iapetus (Shawn)
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edo01
If you arrive from the US with Alitalia or Delta, you’ll probably desembark from the departure level of the new pier (incoming passengers from the US don’t need to reclear security). If you’re flying AZ/DL business class, you are eligible to use Alitalia’s Piazza di Spagna lounge (if the lounge is not too crowded, they usually let arriving passengers in).
Otherwise, you can pay a Plaza Premium Lounge access (usually they let arriving passengers in), or use the HelloSky Lounge mentioned above (located in a public area, next to FCO’s train station).
Arriving on United. I have Priority Pass and Amex Plat, so the Plaza Premium Lounge should be complementary, correct? I read that they only accept departing/transiting passengers, but if they allow arriving passengers if it's not too busy that's great!

Good point regarding checked bags though. How efficient is the ground crew at FCO?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:52 pm

...{snip}...Good point regarding checked bags though. How efficient is the ground crew at FCO?
What kind of "efficiency" do you need? Your luggage will obviously be off-loaded and, while you're in the lounge taking a shower and having breakfast, it will be on the caroussel being stared at circling around by the people coming from the next flight... Or, you finally go down and see all your fellow passengers from your flight waiting and complaining because there was a baggage-handling delay (no reason given) that led to a 50 minutes delay (happened to me once).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:36 am

I’m arriving ex-Schengen zone on a separate ticket. I have a flight with DL to the US. Will I be able to remain airside and obtain my boarding pass?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.