Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
Can you give the date and the flight number? Otherwise, a lot of guessing would be involved. FCO has undergone major remodeling.
Yes, AZ0620 to LAX on 06APR.

Thanks to all for the info provided!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:04 am
JBD

[Just updated wiki with new HelloSky Air Rooms info, and added the FT HH links for FCO Hilton and FCO Hilton Garden Inn]
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:30 am
JBD

Buying a SIM card at FCO

In T3 arrivals there seems to be 2 places to buy a SIM card: the WHSmith Store (I just called them and they confirmed SIM cards are sold there), and the TIM Store.

Does anyone have recent experience buying one at FCO? Is one place better than the other in terms of ease of purchasing it and getting it activated? TIA!

Edited to add:
Actually I see there's another company, called Exactta, which has two landside stores in T3. Here's T3's map.

When I clicked on the store's details it said:
Sale of international prepaid calling cards and sim cards for mobile phones. Access to the Internet from a fixed location, photocopying, scanning and printing of paper documents and usb stick.
Here's its website: Exactta

This place is new to me - I haven't been able to get to Rome in a long while - so I just googled "Exactta SIM card reviews" and got these results. I didn't click on anything yet, just saw all the headlines with "SCAM" and "Don't buy".

But still looking forward to hear any of your recent experiences!

Last edited by JBD; Mar 10, 2018 at 1:13 am Reason: Found third option
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by JBD
In T3 arrivals there seems to be 2 places to buy a SIM card: the WHSmith Store (I just called them and they confirmed SIM cards are sold there), and the TIM Store.

Does anyone have recent experience buying one at FCO? Is one place better than the other in terms of ease of purchasing it and getting it activated? TIA!

Edited to add:
Actually I see there's another company, called Exactta, which has two landside stores in T3. Here's T3's map.

When I clicked on the store's details it said:

Here's its website: Exactta

This place is new to me - I haven't been able to get to Rome in a long while - so I just googled "Exactta SIM card reviews" and got these results. I didn't click on anything yet, just saw all the headlines with "SCAM" and "Don't buy".

But still looking forward to hear any of your recent experiences!
If you really want a SIM because your home company doesn't provide a competitive product, the TIM store is easily found shortly after you exit landside, and head towards the Leonardo Express. It's on the right side. It may be advantageous, but I'm on ATT, and for $10 a day I get to use my phone in an unlimited way, as if in the USA. If I'm on a 5 hour train ride, I can use my phone to read all I want. SIMS are a bit of a pain in the neck, and only save you money on long trips. And, no one can contact you from your home number, because it gives you a new phone number. It used to be that a SIM from one EU country didn't work in another EU country. They made a treaty so that now, a SIM from any EU country is good in another without roaming charges. I could stand to be corrected on this, but that's my understanding. Exactta is a different thing. It's for people who will be in the USA, Russia, India, Venezuela, then Japan, who are sort of all over the place. It's not necessary for a simple trip to Italy, per my limited opinion.
JBD likes this.

Last edited by Perche; Mar 11, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Go for TIM, that's the official national phone company!
JBD likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:35 am

In the absence of a specific reason for choosing another option, I would default to TIM if you need an Italian provider.
JBD likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Assuming I cannot check my bags through, if landing in the middle of the day and departing the following morning, all on AZ, any place to lock up our luggage (2 standard checked pieces)?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:18 am

Yes, there's luggage storage in T3 (you need to walk there from T1): Baggage services - Aeroporti di Roma
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Assuming I cannot check my bags through, if landing in the middle of the day and departing the following morning, all on AZ, any place to lock up our luggage (2 standard checked pieces)?
Depends on what you mean by morning. It doesn’t open until 6:30 AM, and sometimes there can be a significant line. So if your morning flight means 7AM the answer is no. Having more info always helps in answering questions.

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Better a day use room at the Hilton Airport?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by rove312
Yes, there's luggage storage in T3 (you need to walk there from T1): Baggage services - Aeroporti di Roma
Thanks - so no luggage lockers, but yes to porter services?

Originally Posted by Perche
Depends on what you mean by morning. It doesn’t open until 6:30 AM, and sometimes there can be a significant line. So if your morning flight means 7AM the answer is no. Having more info always helps in answering questions.
Flight at 10:40 on AZ, non-Schengen.

Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Better a day use room at the Hilton Airport?
Staying by a friend near the Jewish Ghetto so wouldn't want to pay for a hotel. We're also going to do a bit of touring around the city during the layover.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:49 pm

New VIP lounge

There is, for now, an announcement only on the airport's Italian site, of a new VIP lounge in the E boarding area, nothing more specific on the location, since that covers several distinct areas. The description of who has access is similar to this in English on the lounge in the D area for Schengen flights: "for all Fiumicino business-class passengers and frequent flyers, no matter which airline you’re travelling with," but not with this from the D lounge description: "Passengers who purchase an access ticket (26 euros for adults and 13 euros for under 16s) will be welcomed by Aviapartner staff."
iapetus likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
BA and Alitalia long-haul flight check-ins

Hi!
My mother is flying out of FCO on AZ 676 (FCO-MEX) in J at 10h40. She would like me to take her to the airport - I fly the same day on BA551 FCO-LGW in Y at 8h00. She doesn't mind waiting in the lounge but would like me to help with her bags.
Are the check-in areas for both flights relatively nearby? I'm confused by the whole T3 / T1 thing for Alitalia flights, and I wonder if flights to MEX leave from the same place as flights to the US (as happens, for instance, at LHR T5) or from the area with the other non-Schengen flights.
Thanks!!
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

They should both check in at T1, and are both non-Schengen flights with departures from E gates, which are in several distinct areas.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:20 pm

You'll be with you mother all the way from the line waiting for check-in/bag drop till you leave her at the lounge and you proceed to the gate a few metres further. The only problem for you is if your mother decides to check the stores while you have to rush to your gate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.