Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Family Traveler
Interesting that you waited so long for the next shuttle. They have an electronic sign at the shuttle stop and when my bus pulled away it was showing about 3 minutes until the next bus arrived (and I waited on my bus for about 5 minutes until it pulled away but don't know how long it was there). I guess I got lucky and so another reason to get there with plenty of time in advance.

We weren't staying in Rome the night before (I would not keep a car in Rome) but instead since we were coming down from Florence, we stayed over night just to the north right on the water in Ladispoli, about 25 minutes to get to the airport in the morning. Beautiful property called La Posta Vecchia - pretty pricey but better than overnighting at a crummy airport hotel for the last night of the trip.
Where I waited, I didn't see a sign showing time (this was in 2011). Perhaps it was a different spot or they added the sign. I do recall wondering if I should just walk over (as you know, it isn't a short walk).

We were staying at the Cavalieri Hilton and it was cheaper to drop car (picked up at MXP) at FCO rather than in Rome. You can park for free on the street there and the Cavalieri's outdoor parking is not expensive (probably the only thing reasonably priced there).
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
Where I waited, I didn't see a sign showing time (this was in 2011). Perhaps it was a different spot or they added the sign. I do recall wondering if I should just walk over (as you know, it isn't a short walk).

We were staying at the Cavalieri Hilton and it was cheaper to drop car (picked up at MXP) at FCO rather than in Rome. You can park for free on the street there and the Cavalieri's outdoor parking is not expensive (probably the only thing reasonably priced there).
A digression but how was the Hilton? I have a lot of Hilton points and noticed that one as perhaps a good use. Just seemed out of the way in Rome which I guess can be good and bad.....
Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Hilton points now are like Delta miles but that's another story.

I think the Cavalieri is a love it or hate it kind of place. It's not close to downtown (on top of Monte Mario). If you want to walk around, that's not a neighborhood to do so (it's safe, just residential) . They do have a shuttle bus that will take you downtown and bring you back. It has some stunning views (particularly if you get a view room). In the summer, the pool area is a scene. Good art collection and Michelin 3-star restaurant if that interests one. There's a classical Italian sense and a modern one. IMO, the Cavalieri draws more from the modern sense of Italy.

If I was doing a strict Rome visit, I'd be more likely to stay downtown. If I was doing a trip where I was in Rome but also visiting the environs and had a car (for example, going to Ariccia to pig out on porchetta), the Cavalieri would be interesting. I find it good value for a points stay, less so if paying.

Last edited by JMN57; Aug 4, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Family Traveler
A digression but how was the Hilton? I have a lot of Hilton points and noticed that one as perhaps a good use. Just seemed out of the way in Rome which I guess can be good and bad.....
This is not a place to stay, except for the business traveler who has already seen Rome. It is a true luxury hotel, but it is about an hour's walk to Rome city center. It's like someone from Rome coming to visit NYC and staying in Staten Island. Sure, it's part of NYC proper, but it's way out of the way.

Of course, you can take a cab or a bus to city center, but walking around the historic center of Rome is the fun part.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:13 pm

Thanks for the comments on the Hilton - what I figured on all accounts. Confirms it is not likely what I would be looking for on a trip to Rome.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Have a question about meeting another incoming passenger at FCO. The first couple will be arriving on a UA flight from DEN. About an hour and a half later we will arrive from LHR on a BA flight. How easy will it be for the first couple to pick up luggage, go through immigration and then come to meet our arriving flight (outside immigration naturally)? Goal is to take the same limo service to the hotel.

TIA
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by deant
Have a question about meeting another incoming passenger at FCO. The first couple will be arriving on a UA flight from DEN. About an hour and a half later we will arrive from LHR on a BA flight. How easy will it be for the first couple to pick up luggage, go through immigration and then come to meet our arriving flight (outside immigration naturally)? Goal is to take the same limo service to the hotel.

TIA
Both UA and BA arrive at T3. Here is a list of T3 landslide restaurants. Perhaps you can choose one as a meeting point.

CIAO Snack Bar-Asian Restaurant T3 07.00-23.00
MC DONALD'S - CHEF EXPRESS Snack Bar-Fast Food T3 05.30-22.00
RUSTICHELLI & MANGIONE Snack Bar-Pizzeria T3 h24
VACANZE ROMANE Snack Bar T3 Arrivals h24
CHEF EXPRESS Snack Bar T3 Arrivals 05.30-22.00

Rustichelli & Mangione has decent focaccia. Vacanze Romane has a nice mozzarella bar.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:29 am

I'm pretty sure there isn't a non-stop from DEN; a question would be whether they're connecting to a UA flight on the East Coast, or an LH flight in Germany. That would make a difference in what gate area they come to, but they'd go to the same baggage claim as you, and exit to the same T3 arrivals hall. The Chef Express outside that exit, with cafe tables, would be a good place to wait, then meet.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rove312
I'm pretty sure there isn't a non-stop from DEN; a question would be whether they're connecting to a UA flight on the East Coast, or an LH flight in Germany. That would make a difference in what gate area they come to, but they'd go to the same baggage claim as you, and exit to the same T3 arrivals hall. The Chef Express outside that exit, with cafe tables, would be a good place to wait, then meet.
I did make a mistake. They are actually arriving on a LH flight from FRA.

No matter what, it sounds like we will all arrive at the same terminal so it should not be an issue.

Thanks.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by deant

TIA
Well, one thing is certain you won't be arriving at T5 since it's a departure only terminal.

You are probably both arriving at T3.

-David
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
T3 for both. Not an issue to meet, besides the waiting crowd.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 6:59 am

Airside transit at FCO - 2 different tickets

Hi All,

I know this has been covered before in some detail in other threads - I have tried to apply these to my friends situation and hopefully you folks will be able to tell me if there is anything wrong in my logic.

He is Flying LGW-FCO and FCO-CMB-NRT on two separate tickets. The two flights have a ~4 hr time gap.

His first flight is with Easyjet, which I understand will arrive in T3 (Non Schengen). Am I correct in assuming these would be FCO T3 gates G/H?

Since his second flight (on UL) is also out of the Schengen, it also departs from T3.

He will be checked in and have boarding passes for both flights.

Am I correct in assuming that if he travels Hand Baggage only, he would not need to clear Immigration/Passport Control?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by chada
His first flight is with Easyjet, which I understand will arrive in T3 (Non Schengen). Am I correct in assuming these would be FCO T3 gates G/H?

Correct.

Since his second flight (on UL) is also out of the Schengen, it also departs from T3.

He will be checked in and have boarding passes for both flights.

Am I correct in assuming that if he travels Hand Baggage only, he would not need to clear Immigration/Passport Control?

Correct.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:08 am

Thanks very much for the info Forrest Bump
Old Sep 23, 2014, 5:11 am

Connection time in Fiumicino - Aeroporti di Roma

Hello,

I have flight to Bilbao in Spain with a connection in Rome.
My schedule for arriving Rome is 8:35 a.m. to Terminal 3 and my departure from Terminal 1 is at 9:45 a.m.
The total connecting time which includes landing, border control stamping and security checking for my trolley, running between the terminals and making it enough time for the boarding is 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Do you think that it is possible? I've never been to Fiumicino airport before so I would truly appreciate your experience and knowledge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.