Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14€. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90€. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10€ per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Absolutely if a (potential) delay is shorter than ~40 minutes. If your plane uses a bridge/jetty (whatever this is called) you just get into the terminal and go to your next gate, if you use the satellite building, take the train and then on to the gate, if you're bussed take the stairs to connections and continue. No security and no passport check!
Excellent. I'm reasonably sure both flights will operate from T3 so we should be good. Thanks!

Last edited by Brogeo; Sep 19, 2015 at 11:20 am Reason: Typo
Old Sep 19, 2015, 1:55 pm

See, this is why I'm arriving at FCO and just getting on the train
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
See, this is why I'm arriving at FCO and just getting on the train
I've even taken the train from FCO to Sicily. I land, and go.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Well, let's go step by step - it's going to be long!

"I arrive in Rome from the US in terminal 3. How do I get to terminal 1 to go to Ancona?"
This is a US(extra-schengen)-to-Italy (schengen) transit.

Generally speaking, assuming it's one single ticket:
1) the airplane from the US gets to the so-called "satellite", or T3 - Boarding Area G
2) you take an automated train from the "Satellite" to the main T3 building. The journey takes something like 30 seconds, with trains going back and forth
3) You clear security, then immigration - Welcome to Italy! - and walk towards T1
This is all - and it's all airside - and it's usually fast.

All that said:
a) The automated train is called Skybridge
b) Skybdrige only links T3-G with the main T3 building (T3-H), there is no other airside train or bus service linking all the terminals and all boarding areas
c) the sequence above doesn't change based on the airline

Now, the fire. There is now literally a wall on the way from T3-H & the Skybridge station to any other areas. A segment of the transit area with some lounges, duty-free shops, passport controls and security controls... are all gone.
It's like the schengen area is separated from the extra-schengen area.

The transit described above has been subject to changes. Over the last few months, an airside shuttle service has replaced the airside transit footpath.
One of the stop is next to the security controls / passport controls area at T3 - H, where you get as soon as you get off the Skybdrige. In other words, the sequence MAY be:
a) satellite
b) skybridge
c) security
d) immigration
e) airside shuttle bus (instead of walking)
f) T1

I've just said 'may' because the replacement service is just temporary, and like any other temporary replacement service, is subject to change. That's why in my first post I suggested to rely on the instructions you get locally.

Finally:
a) a landside shuttle service linking all the terminals and the parking areas is available... obviously outside the terminals
b) I suppose the other train mentioned in the thread is the proper national rail service from the rail station at FCO. This is not related to airplane-to-airplane transits at FCO.
c) in a few months, a new concourse will be available, so some of the info here may become obsolete.
In this photo http://www.romeinformation.it/wp-con...-o-f-Rome1.jpg
you can see:
1) the satellite with its skybridge - the white building at the bottom
2) the new concourse being built
3) and the T1 at the top-left

The photo is quite old, the building is already up.

Last edited by Alice11; Sep 19, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 19, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Alice11
The transit described above has been subject to changes. Over the last few months, an airside shuttle service has replaced the airside transit footpath.
One of the stop is next to the security controls / passport controls area at T3 - H, where you get as soon as you get off the Skybdrige. In other words, the sequence MAY be:
a) satellite
b) skybridge
c) security
d) immigration
e) airside shuttle bus (instead of walking)
f) T1

I've just said 'may' because the replacement service is just temporary, and like any other temporary replacement service, is subject to change. That's why in my first post I suggested to rely on the instructions you get locally.
That's a great post, with lots of good info.

In my response to OP I called Fiumicino airport at +39 0665951, listed on the FCO useful numbers page. http://www.adr.it/en/web/aeroporti-d...useful-numbers It only costs about 10 cents on Skype, so why not?

They were curt, but told me that there is no way to make this transfer airside. He said you have to go outside and take the bus, then go through security again. I asked him if there was an airside bus, and he said no.

Since he was impatient and curt, I called Alitalia's 24 hour number listed on the FCO website, +39 892010 (24 h). I got a recording saying that they are only open Monday through Friday.

I called Alitalia's 24 hour number that is not their airport location, +39 0665640. They were helpful and courteous. I asked if there was an airside bus. They said no. They said the bus is landside. He said to make the transfer and stay airside, take the shuttle train. I asked him if he was sure. He sounded a little insulted about that, and answered, "Things can change, but that's the way it was as of my shift there yesterday."

These were conversations conducted in Italian, speaking with Italian offices, not the Alitalia USA number. There may have been an airside bus at one time, but both FCO airport and Alitalia denied that there is an airside bus as of now. I guess OP will have to play this by ear when he/she gets there.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Can someone help me out on this cxn?

I'm a US American, flying from MAD-FCO-LHR on Alitalia. I assume I do passport control in FCO, but am not sure if I even have to, or if I can just go straight to the cxn gate. What needs to be done in this case?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by paterwdb
Can someone help me out on this cxn?

I'm a US American, flying from MAD-FCO-LHR on Alitalia. I assume I do passport control in FCO, but am not sure if I even have to, or if I can just go straight to the cxn gate. What needs to be done in this case?
Yes, you have to, and the only thing that "needs to be done" is simply to walk from T1 to your connection gate in T2. As Madrid is Schengen and London is non-Schengen, you'll see the immigration barrier in front of you at a certain point, and you'll have to walk through it showing your passport. No worry, there are signs that you simply follow. Everything will be extremely simple.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
No security and no passport check!

Is this right? I thought that for non-Schengen/non-Schengen transfers at FCO, there was a security check but no passport check?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying SOF - AMS, via FCO.

I believe SOF - FCO arrives terminal 3 and FCO - AMS leaves terminal 1. I'll only have hand luggage with me but from landing in FCO and leaving AMS it's only a 50 min layover.

On the return from AMS - SOF, it's just a 45 minute layover.

The outbound is Alitalia from SOF - FCO and the KLM from FCO - AMS (50 min layover)

From what I can tell the return is all Alitalia from AMS to SOF via FCO (45 min layover).

Is this doable? Or am I likely to miss the connections? This is sold direct on Alitalia website.

Thanks ahead of time
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by silonic
I'm flying SOF - AMS, via FCO.

I believe SOF - FCO arrives terminal 3 and FCO - AMS leaves terminal 1. I'll only have hand luggage with me but from landing in FCO and leaving AMS it's only a 50 min layover.

On the return from AMS - SOF, it's just a 45 minute layover.

The outbound is Alitalia from SOF - FCO and the KLM from FCO - AMS (50 min layover)

From what I can tell the return is all Alitalia from AMS to SOF via FCO (45 min layover).

Is this doable? Or am I likely to miss the connections? This is sold direct on Alitalia website.

Thanks ahead of time
In theory (i.e. with flights being on-time etc.), you shouldn't have any issues both ways (be ready for a brisk walk, though). That said, I'd be slightly concerned about the return flight: given that it is very likely that you will get bus transport to the terminal building and that you will also have to clear passports, this leaves no room for potential delays (AZ521 SOF-FCO is operated by the 320 coming from FCO as AZ520, hence there's always chance of delay due to late arrival of the incoming flight). Your evening flight to AMS (if you are booked on AZ521 from SOF) will be operated by KL.

G
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:11 pm

Question connection time in FCO from VCE to JFK

I will be traveling on Monday Jan. 4 on AZ from VCE-FCO connecting to FCO-JFK (also Alitalia). This will be my first time through the Rome airport and I'm a bit worried about the connection time-- my original booking allowed for 3 hours, due to a flight schedule change I'll have only 80 minutes. If it makes any difference I'll be traveling in the "Magnifica" class on an award ticket, and I will have checked a bag (which I assume will be automatically transferred in Rome). Thanks for any reassurance!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
You will be fine http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alita...solidated.html and your bag will be checked through to your final destination.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Hello,
After a few months in the Kingdom of Far Far Away I got a connection at FCO, so in case the update can be of any help, the status as of yesterday re the transit was the following:
a) you are still unable to walk airside between the Schengen Area (T1, T2, T3-D) and the extra-schengen Area (T3 G and H)
b) there is an airside shuttle service. In the Schengen area, it is available at T1-B, gates B27-B30
http://tinypic.com/r/2rg1ctf/9

Unfortunately I could not test it due to a last minute change of plan, I had to go landside, so no direct experience...
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Alice11
Hello,
After a few months in the Kingdom of Far Far Away I got a connection at FCO, so in case the update can be of any help, the status as of yesterday re the transit was the following:
a) you are still unable to walk airside between the Schengen Area (T1, T2, T3-D) and the extra-schengen Area (T3 G and H)
b) there is an airside shuttle service. In the Schengen area, it is available at T1-B, gates B27-B30
http://tinypic.com/r/2rg1ctf/9

Unfortunately I could not test it due to a last minute change of plan, I had to go landside, so no direct experience...
Welcome back, Alice11.

This has in fact been discussed several times in other threads (including the Alitalia forum) but, just to add on the shuttle service, there's a bus for satellite G & one for the dreadful H gates area, leaving at non-set times. My suggestion to anybody reading this and who will have a connection in the nearer future and until the terminal situation gets resolved is to get to the above mentioned gates with plenty of time ahead of departure: most times there will be no queues and the transfer would take less than 10 minutes however the other night I turned up [at B27-30] for my flight to IST (leaving from the H area) and it took me about half-an-hour because of the amount of people going through passports at that particular time and the previous bus which had literally just left.

G
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: Executive Club
Need help - Connection between T3 and T1

I'll be flying GIG (Rio de Janeiro) to CDG (Paris), via FCO (Rome). The flight out of GIG on 08 / Dec / 2016 and arrives at CDG 09 / Dec / 2016.
The two flights GIG => FCO and FCO => CDG ​​were issued on the same ticket, and both are flights of Alitalia ... we are in total 4 adults and 1 child (11 years old)
We have a Brazilian passports, and we will have checked bags.
We arrive by flight AZ 653 (GIG => FCO), the Terminal 3 - FCO will arrive at 07:00 AM
And we have to embark in Terminal 1, for the AZ 318 flight (FCO => CDG). flight party, at 09:15 AM.
Therefore, we only 2:15 hours to make the connection in FCO, having to go from T3 to T1 ..
Referring travel sites in Brazil, they informed me that I will not need to remove the checked bags at FCO and make the order for FCO => CDG ​​stretch. The information they gave me is that we dispatch the bags in GIG and caught in CDG.
That's right or I'll have to remove the checked bags at FCO and hurry back to the FCO => CDG ​​stretch ?????
And how will the immigration procedure ???
I will have to leave the safe area in T3 and make new security procedure T1 ???
Other information I request: The FCO airport is still under construction in T3 and T1 ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.