Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by desi
Hope, folks dont mind reactivating this very useful thread.

Need help from thread experts for four ladies (2 middle aged, 2 young teens) for two nights/3 days pre-cruise in Rome after arriving from USA red-eye
(first visit to Rome, bit scarred of petty crimes so safe neighborhood important budget 250-300 USD or slightly more per night)
Also need family room that can accomodate all four which seems to be a huge constraint in Europe in general.

Given that familiar chain hotels are not around Parthenon/Trevi central area, seeking help from local experts for recommendation.
Last minute trip - looking for july 5 & 6.

Appreciate any help.

(several hotels recommended in this thread dont have a room for 4 or are sold out already)
That is a tough one. Have you contacted your cruise line for suggestions? They may have blocked rooms for their passengers. Room for 4 will be difficult to find, so best to consider 2 rooms.
Good luck and please report back
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
. But now the only way to enter the Forum and Palatine is from Via dei Fori Imperiali or Via di San Gregorio. So staying in this area if you want to get to Rome's center or to the Forum/Palatine/Colosseo, you'll have to either ascend the Capitoline from what used to be its front entrance in Republican times, cross the Michelangelo designed piazza, descend the Cordonata (which is great fun but to those with limited time in Rome will become a nuisance), or walk around the circumference of the Capitoline, or if going in the other direction, around the Palatine.
is the entrance from Colosseum, through Arch of Constantine - Ticket Office at Arco di Tito closed? you can not enter there?
how about exit through steps to Capitoline Hill (near Temple of Saturn) - can you exit there?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 3:57 pm
JBD

is the entrance from Colosseum, through Arch of Constantine - Ticket Office at Arco di Tito closed? you can not enter there?
how about exit through steps to Capitoline Hill (near Temple of Saturn) - can you exit there?
Hi. No, the ticket office at the Arco di Tito is open. And yes, you can exit towards the Capitoline. The official website has all the details:
The Colosseum
The Roman Forum and Palatine Hill

The bit you quoted from me above was referring to the fact that now (and for some period of time), you are required to pay admission to access the Forum. Prior to that, many years ago, you would have been able to saunter through the Forum from the side that now is fenced in. Seen here from this google street view.

So that means if you were staying at the hotels or vacation rentals in the area which is bordered by Via di San Teodoro, Via della Consolazione and the Forum, I wanted people to know that even though a map view would show you were right next to the Forum, that in real space you'd have to actually walk around it.

Have you found some place in this area? I had seen your post looking for a place for 4 people next week, and I actually spent quite a bit of time going through my bookmarks and doing new searches on Booking.com and Airbnb for your dates. And I couldn't find anything within your budget of $300 per night with 4 beds (at least nothing I'd feel comfortable recommending). And I also looked into getting two rooms within your budget. I thought our moderator's post was spot on and hoped you've had some luck in finding rooms blocked off by your cruise company. If you can get by with one double bed for 2 of you, and then separate beds or sofa beds for the other 2, there may still be some options out there. If that's the case, let me know and I'll do another search for you.

And if you've found some places on your own and want feedback on them, post them here.

Also, in your original post you mentioned that familiar chain hotels aren't in the Pantheon/Trevi area. Does that mean that you have hotel points at your disposal if there were? Because Marriott now has a new place by the Pantheon, and SPG has their G-Rough near Piazza Navona, and also a brand new one called the Elizabeth Unique Hotel west of the Spanish Steps. But their other locations, in the Via Veneto area, or Piazza della Repubblica would be great too if you have points to use to defray your costs....
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:01 pm
JBD

Rome-Accommodation.net

Hope, folks dont mind reactivating this very useful thread.

Need help from thread experts for four ladies (2 middle aged, 2 young teens) for two nights/3 days pre-cruise in Rome after arriving from USA red-eye
(first visit to Rome, bit scarred of petty crimes so safe neighborhood important budget 250-300 USD or slightly more per night)
Also need family room that can accomodate all four which seems to be a huge constraint in Europe in general.

Given that familiar chain hotels are not around Parthenon/Trevi central area, seeking help from local experts for recommendation.
Last minute trip - looking for july 5 & 6.

Appreciate any help.

(several hotels recommended in this thread dont have a room for 4 or are sold out already)
If you're willing to sleep 2 to a bed, I have something for you to consider....

It's a vacation rental from Rome-Accommodation. This is a professional vacation rental company based in Rome, with properties only in Rome. They have been around for almost 20 years - I first heard about them from the old Slow Travel website. They were a big favorite with that forum and over the years different STers posted many reviews (unfortunately that site is no more and my links to those reviews no longer work). From a personal standpoint, I had extensive email correspondence with Rubina of Rome-Accommodation and talked to her on the phone a couple of times, about 10 years ago, when I was planning on renting one of their units (I ended up having to cancel that trip however). But the communication with her was terrific and she addressed every question and concern and couldn't have been nicer.

They have their own website that has all their T&Cs and booking process explained. And you can read their About Us page for more info. I would recommend folks to deal directly with them and their website (just like I think it's best to book directly with a hotel, vs a third party), but they also have their listings on Airbnb. There they are known as hosts "Daniela and Roberta". Their Airbnb listings used to show that they were in fact a Vacation Rental company - I think the change has something to do with Airbnb's policies. I mention this because on the Airbnb listings you can read additional reviews on their places, which is always helpful.

With the bad press I've been reading about Airbnb, and locals not happy with the proliferation of Airbnbs, in cities across the world, I'm feeling more inclined to deal with professional rental companies than with the VRBOs and Airbnbs listings. I regard Rome-Accommodation very highly from all the research I've done - but all this is just my opinion of course. And no, I have absolutely no affiliation with them whatsoever.

Here are the pertinent links to check out this company for yourself:

Their official website: https://www.rome-accommodation.net/en/
Their About Us page: https://www.rome-accommodation.net/en/about-us/
Their Blog (useful posts for any traveler to Rome): https://blog.rome-accommodation.net/en/

Their TripAdvisor page: https://www.tripadvisor.com/RentalPr...1700#vrListing
Their Airbnb page: https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/1185020

I did a search for your dates and found availability for 2 places, one in Testaccio and one near Via Giulia. I ruled out the one in Testaccio for your brief visit because it's a little too far from where you'll want to be. The apartment near Via Giulia has one double bed and one sofa bed, so this may be all wrong for you if you're not wanting to sleep 2 to a bed. (But for future readers, hopefully the info about this rental company will prove useful). I read all the reviews on their site (translating the non-English ones), and saw mention that the one bathroom is small, but otherwise people were pleased. There's one review on TA and that's a good one. I looked to find this property on Airbnb, but have yet to find it.

There is a problem with it though, the minimum stay is 3 nights. However, their website instructs you to click on their Request Availability link for a solution. But worse case scenario: even if you were to book 3 nights, from July 4th to July 7th, then the total rate for all 3 nights, would be just €316, or about $365. And if your red-eye has you arriving in FCO in the morning, then this way your apartment would be available immediately since you've paid for the night before. But the company may very well be happy to rent this out to you for just the 2 nights. The regular rate is €124 a night (the €316 total rate above includes a 15% last minute discount) - so maybe they'd just charge you €248 total for your 2 night stay. Any of these scenarios has you saving a sizeable amount from your initial $300 a night budget.

So here's the link to the Giulia II apartment on their website. The listing states that it's on Via dei Cimatori, and by comparing the pictures from the listing with google's street view, the apartment appears to be at 19a Via dei Cimatori, or very close to that number.

Here's google's street view of the apartment. [I had initially linked the map view of this address as well, but then the image automatically splashed itself across everything, so I deleted it]

You're not in the center per se, but you will still be in a terrific area. For the sites that you're further away from, with the savings from your lodgings, you could take a cab, say to go down to the Colosseum.

Your initial post mentioned wanting a safe area - I consider the area of this apartment safe. You should always utilize your "street smarts" where ever you are though. You'll also see via the street view link, graffiti. Now when I first started traveling to Rome as an adult, around 2002, I became uneasy when I saw graffiti. I'm from Los Angeles and consider graffiti in a certain way, so I asked a new Roman acquaintance if Rome had gangs, like in LA. He answered, with a cute smile, no, we just have the one.

All this to say, if you're unfamiliar with how Rome looks today I didn't want you alarmed when seeing the graffiti on the walls where the apartment was located. Here's an older article from Revealed Rome worth checking out:
Why, Why, Why Does Rome Have So Much Graffiti?

If the Giulia II is at all a possibility for you then I'd call them, or use their Request Availability page and see what they say.

If you do end up there, Rome-Accommodation also arranges transportation from the airports and train stations, and to Civitavecchia. So that could help simplify your last minute pre-cruise Rome visit. Here's the link: https://www.rome-accommodation.net/en/taxi-transfer/

Good luck!
obscure2k likes this.

Last edited by JBD; Jun 27, 2018 at 8:42 pm Reason: Removed link
Old Jun 27, 2018, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

JBD, thank you for your generous and thoughtful response.
Obscure2k
Italy Moderator
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:20 am
JBD

Albergo del Senato

... budget 250-300 USD or slightly more per night)
Also need family room that can accomodate all four which seems to be a huge constraint in Europe in general...
[Thanks obscure2k for the kind words, and thank YOU for being our mod!]

I had checked the Albergo del Senato when I first saw your post, and ruled it out because it priced at €685 total. That converts to about $790 total for your two nights.

But... I just looked at it again, and though $95 more per night than your $300 max is definitely more than a slight increase, and it's over twice the amount than the rental off Via Giulia that I mentioned upthread, I think it could be the best option for your family (given the last minute nature of all this and your very limited choices).

First, everyone loves this place and its reviews show it. Second, you can't get more central. Third, you'll get breakfast served in their lovely breakfast room. Fourth, it's a hotel, fully staffed at all hours, set up for tourists exactly like you (versus the apartment which is more geared to travelers that want a more immersive experience).

But most importantly, for €685 you'll get their "Mini Apartment", and though you'll still all need to share one bathroom, you could each have your own bed. (I was thinking of my sister and when we all used to travel as a family. If my parents told me that I'd have to share a bed with her when we were teenagers, I would have thought they were out of their minds!)

When you enter your dates on their website you'll see the "Mini Apartment" offered, and you can see the pictures - I think it looks great. And below is a cut and paste of the room details:
Designed in a modern and elegant decoration, the Mini Apartment is located on the ground floor in the hotel building and offers a particular accommodation option to suit many needs. A more quite space made up of two levels accommodation, connected with stairs, that can sleep up to four adults, handy for longer stays or families.The entrance is in to the living area with two comfortable single sofa beds. At disposal a large desk to satisfy the most exigent business guest.
The upper level can be arranged with one queen size bed or two single beds and is also equipped with a smaller desk. It consist in an open space, so privacy can be limited.
Both levels are provided with satellite television, free high speed wireless internet and on the ground floor you do find the mini bar and the safety deposit box.
Stylishly decorated bathroom with shower and bathtub situated on lower floor.
No Pantheon view, but very spacious and quiet. Average overall space 50 square meters.
Since this is your very first visit to Rome, your flying from the US and most likely will be jetlagged when you arrive, and you're only there for 2 nights - I think staying at a hotel with all the amenities that the Albergo del Senato offers, versus the apartment off Via Giulia, makes a great deal more sense. So much for my 2˘!

Last note on costs: remember no matter where you'll stay you'll also be charged a per person, per night Tourist Accommodation Tax. Details are noted in the wiki above.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:35 am
JBD

Pictures: Albergo del Senato's "Mini Apartment"

...Appreciate any help...
Ok, one last post, I couldn't link the pictures of the Mini Apartment, but I can attach them, so here goes:

obscure2k and poohhead80 like this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:49 pm

Thank you very very much for such excellent help and feedback.

For boutique family hotels, feedback of locals is extremely useful.

Had checked out 9hotel Cesari mentioned upthread.
MIni apartment at Albergo de Sanato is fantastic but not available for our dates

Any info on places like Hotel Fellini near Trevi fountain?
or is Clarion Princepessa Isabella too remote?

Marriot cant fit 4 in a room it seems and quite pricey.

Again, greatly appreciate help.
(Got something cancellable as fallaback)

Last edited by desi; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:11 pm
JBD

...MIni apartment at Albergo de Sanato is fantastic but not available for our dates...
I just checked again, and I'm still seeing what I saw last night - there is still availability for your dates. Unless I've misunderstood you -

...for two nights/3 days pre-cruise in Rome after arriving from USA red-eye...Last minute trip - looking for july 5 & 6...
Based on what you wrote in your first post I assumed the two nights you needed accommodations for was July 5 and 6.

Is that right? If so, if you use the hotel's own website and not a third party site, they show availability for checking in July 5th and out on July 7th. I'm attaching the screenshot I made moments ago.

https://www.albergodelsenato.it/

Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:57 pm

Thank you, will take a look again.
Thank you very much.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:08 am
JBD

Hotel Fellini vs Hotel Adriano

...feedback of locals is extremely useful...

Any info on places like Hotel Fellini near Trevi fountain?...
Hi again. First, I didn't intend to misrepresent myself - I'm not a local. We used to have a few Romans who posted here over the years, but unfortunately they haven't been around in awhile. I'm an Angeleno, in love with Rome, and when I'm not there I'm usually in the research stage planning to go back.

Regarding the Hotel Fellini: I would not recommend it. I've PMd with desi and said I'd post on this thread with details about why I don't like it or its area. But for the sake of brevity I'll just link the Google streetview where you can see the hotel is actually adjacent to a tunnel and sits at a busy intersection. (For those curious, its address is Via Rasella, 56)

But I totally get not wanting to exceed her budget. I've been looking again, and found something that hopefully will still be available by the time desi see's this. I think its location will be much more pleasant for her first visit to Rome. Also, it's on the west side of the Pantheon, versus the Fellini's location east of the Trevi. So that will have her much closer to many of the spots that are probably on her list. Plus, it's closer to the Tiber. And of note: it's Estate Romane time and the Tiber is now lined wth all sorts of eateries and amusements. Here's an article from "Romeing" that explains what I'm referring to for those unfamiliar:
https://www.romeing.it/lungo-il-tevere-roma/

The place I found is the Hotel Adriano, here's its website.

Here's its streetview - the flags on the left of the picture mark it's location. (Its address: Via di Pallacorda, 2)

Using the hotel's official website I found availability for a Quadruple Superior for your two nights, for a total of €431.20 (or about $505). But when you look at their site you'll see some crazy rates for other dates and other rooms, so I called them. They confirmed that the rate I saw (€431.20) is correct and that the Quadruple is available for your dates. (The crazy rates were seen for the rooms and dates not available). Since there's only one picture of the Quadruple on the booking page, (and no mention of a Quadruple when you click on their "Rooms" section), I asked the woman for more of a description. She said its double bed can be separated into two twins if desired, and that there's a sofa bed that has room for two.

I'm still hoping that desi chooses the Albergo del Senato, but if deciding between just the Hotel Adriano and the Hotel Fellini, I'd definitely suggest the Adriano.

Here's a screenshot of the booking page I just saw on Hotel Adriano's site, showing the room and rate currently available. The €431.20 is a non-refundable rate (there's also a cancellable rate of €490):

mromalley likes this.

Last edited by JBD; Jun 29, 2018 at 4:31 am Reason: fixed link
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
Looking for input: We will be in Rome for a week next March. We prefer apartments instead of Hotels. This unit is overlooking the Campo de' Fiori. Any thoughts on that area? This is our first visit to Rome and we plan on all of the standard stuff during the week.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-re...03%2F17%2F2019
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Illini_Fan
Looking for input: We will be in Rome for a week next March. We prefer apartments instead of Hotels. This unit is overlooking the Campo de' Fiori. Any thoughts on that area? This is our first visit to Rome and we plan on all of the standard stuff during the week.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-re...03%2F17%2F2019
likely to be loud at night as Il Campo is home to several English style pubs without the English closing time. One is called The Drunken Ship so caveat emptor
obscure2k, Illini_Fan and rickg523 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:56 am

Post trip feedback

First of all, lots of thanks to JBD for volunteering so much effort.

Albergo mini apartment is indeed great from many points of view.
Hotel Adrino location is nice too (though for reviews, take a look at TA)
We got ridiculously great last minute non-refundable deal with Fellini.

Actually, we chose based on streetview linked by JBD.
Gelato, pizzeria right outside hotel door (even kids can go by themselves)
Supermarket and convenience store (open late) 100 feet away
Lots of touristy restaurants targeting american palate within a block
Taxi stand and bank within a block

Hotel seemed to be budget boutique, But extremely clean with quad having regular beds (no sofa bed) with good size balcony. Extremely quiet - no traffic noise.
Friendly staff (room size small, continental breakfast 6 euro extra) Good Ac and water pressure. Close to Trevi and Spanish steps but not as centered as pantheon area.

Based on low price, was not expecting much. Pleasantly surprised.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Thanks for reporting back, that is extremely helpful!
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.