Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mules
I thought I would follow up to let you know that I contacted this guesthouse run by nuns Gallery. It is in Piazza Farnese. They answered my email very promptly. The rate for a double room in late October for 3 nights including breakfast is 200 Euros.
I've stayed in places like this, but not at this one. They are usually spartan but clean. There are two things you need to ask; do they have internet, and do they have a curfew. The curfew is a particular problem because it is usually 10PM. That's when they go to bed. You don't get a key. 10PM is a problem, since restaurants don't open until around 7:30-8:00 PM. Miss curfew, and you will be out in the street looking for a hotel. I don't know about this place in particular, because nuns gallery is like a hotel chain, with multiple branches in many countries, including the USA. I think they have six "guest houses" spread around Italy. The rate sounds good, but make sure you ask the right questions, especially about the curfew.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:37 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by pubsmeister
Looking for a nice hotel with a central location in Rome that will fit 3 people in one room for Spring Break in early April- bringing my spouse and teenage daughter. Looking on-line it's hard to find quotes for rooms clearly designed for more than two people, unless you look at $1,000+ suites. Prefer to use SPG points- anyone know if Westin or St. Regis have decent size rooms for three without breaking the bank (no more than $500-600 a night). Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also looked at Airbnb- saw lots of options for apartments, any thoughts? Thanks.
[Above bolding mine]

Re SPG you also have Le Meridien Visconti as an option. It's currently a category 5 which makes it SPG's best valued central Rome property. For a point stay or cash and points stay I'd guess you'd have to pay a supplement for the third person since these awards are just for 2 people. But they do have rooms "clearly designed for more than two people" which you'll see on SPG's booking engine when you enter your dates and occupancy for 3 adults. (I'm assuming your teenage daughter is older than 12, but if she's 12 or under then this property would consider her a child for rate purposes). If not using points I'm seeing rates that would be much less than your $600 maximum.

I was just reading the most recent posts on FT's master thread on this property and the FTers seem quite pleased with this place. To find out how to go about booking an award stay here for 3 people, or if you have other questions/concerns about this place, I'd recommend posting your questions on its dedicated thread:
[NEW] Le Meridien Visconti Rome, Italy, joined SPG 1 Feb 2017 [Master Thread]
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mules
Editing function is being weird right now on my computer. The rate above is per night
Then you can probably do better.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:40 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:44 am

I've pretty much read this whole thread and still don't have a firm grasp on where I'd like to stay, so, advice please.

My wife and I are traveling to Italy in early November, mainly to do a walking tour of Puglia. We have one really short, jet-lagged day in Rome on the front end and 2 days on the back end.

On arrival day, we'll get into town about 4pm after a long overnight flight, and we have a train at 8am the next morning. So, despite the "Don't stay near the train station" advice, I'm thinking it makes sense to stay near the station since all we'll want to do is get cleaned up, grab and early dinner and go to bed, then get up early to take the train. So, any advice on where we could stumble out of the train station and into bed, then hop back on the train the next morning. Budget probably <= 200 euros. Quiet room would be nice.

On return, after the walking trip, I probably want to spend more time around the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill then up by the Pantheon, so I'm thinking Monti neighborhood. I like the concept of being more in a neighborhood than a tourist center, with local restaurants and such. Budget about the same, maybe stretch to 250 for a really nice place, again quiet room off the main streets. I do want to see the Pantheon but walking is not a problem. We've did the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain on a prior trip.

So, any and all advice appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:22 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by CHSBoater
I've pretty much read this whole thread and still don't have a firm grasp on where I'd like to stay, so, advice please.

My wife and I are traveling to Italy in early November, mainly to do a walking tour of Puglia. We have one really short, jet-lagged day in Rome on the front end and 2 days on the back end.

On arrival day, we'll get into town about 4pm after a long overnight flight, and we have a train at 8am the next morning. So, despite the "Don't stay near the train station" advice, I'm thinking it makes sense to stay near the station since all we'll want to do is get cleaned up, grab and early dinner and go to bed, then get up early to take the train. So, any advice on where we could stumble out of the train station and into bed, then hop back on the train the next morning. Budget probably <= 200 euros. Quiet room would be nice.

On return, after the walking trip, I probably want to spend more time around the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill then up by the Pantheon, so I'm thinking Monti neighborhood. I like the concept of being more in a neighborhood than a tourist center, with local restaurants and such. Budget about the same, maybe stretch to 250 for a really nice place, again quiet room off the main streets. I do want to see the Pantheon but walking is not a problem. We've did the Vatican, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain on a prior trip.

So, any and all advice appreciated.
[Above bolding mine]

If you're comfortable with sharing your actual dates I'd be happy to check some places out for you to see if they're in your price range. Even small places use dynamic revenue management systems these days, which means that rates vary during a given month. In your case, you mention you'll arrive in early November: if your first night falls during the November 1st holiday weekend then rates may be higher. Also, in general, since October's rate are in the high season bracket, the first couple of weeks of November can also have higher rates then people expect. I've seen across many Roman accommodations that it's actually mid-November where you see a nice price drop.

For your first night in Rome, I agree that the usual "stay away from the Termini area" admonition should be disregarded, to an extent, considering your circumstances. (I've actually often stayed right at the airport Hilton upon arrival, because I'm so exhausted on my first night, choosing to start my trip the next day when I'd go into Rome proper - a choice many here would disparage.) But there are options which could have you close enough to Termini but where you'll be in Monti, or at least not in the sketchiest areas of the train station.

As to a location for your 2 nights in Rome at the end of your trip, I also choose to be based closest to the Palatine vs the Pantheon. (My fascination with Rome is with its Republican era and early Empire). So Monti is ideal (the first Rione and where Julius Caesar first lived!). I'm also intrigued by staying in the old Forum Boarium on the other side of the Capitoline, and there are a few hotel options on Via di San Teodoro and Via Luigi Petroselli - these areas would also fit your criteria, somewhat. And for my interests, I love the idea of sleeping on the hill where myth has it is the location of Remus' failed test - on the Aventine - and there are a few options there. You'd be a 10 minute walk to the Palatine, but you'd also be a 10 minute walk to Testaccio where you'd find terrific "real" Roman dining options. What the Aventine has going for it is it's a beautiful, residential, and QUIET neighborhood. But for your brief 2 day stay it maybe too far south.

All this to say, your choice of Monti is a really good one, and will give you the most options. Note: there are more and more B&Bs turning up there as it inches itself towards becoming over run with tourists a la Trastevere. When I check out these places for myself, I've noticed that there are well regarded ones but that are on a higher floor in buildings without elevators. So if you would like me to check out some places specifically let me know if there are any deal breakers, such as needing an elevator, etc.
obscure2k, PWMTrav and CHSBoater like this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:45 pm

^^ This is a really good post, JBD.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:47 pm
JBD

One suggestion for Termini adjacent hotel: UNA Hotel Rome

(Thanks obscure2k and PWMTrav for the likes and the thumbs )

...makes sense to stay near the station since all we'll want to do is get cleaned up, grab and early dinner and go to bed, then get up early to take the train. So, any advice on where we could stumble out of the train station and into bed, then hop back on the train the next morning. Budget probably <= 200 euros. Quiet room would be nice...
I've had a place bookmarked for myself for when my situation would be similar to yours, but I've yet to stay there. It's super close to Termini, but I'd feel safe enough walking from the station to the hotel at 4pm and back at 8am if I use my "street smarts", (I'm female and travel solo FWIW). By street smarts I mean that I'd have checked out via google street view the exit from Termini, and the route to the hotel, and "walked" it virtually, so that once there I could walk with purpose directly to the place, without stopping to pull out a map. Versus emerging from Termini with that doe-eyed lost expression, standing in one spot to pull out my map - you know, all the behaviors that make tourists prey in any city, especially when standing in front of a main train station.

Regarding your budget of keeping it under €200 a night, I plugged in sample dates starting with November 1st and onwards, and the rates I'm seeing would work for you.

It's part of a chain and classified a 4 star (which is determined by the amenities it offers): UNA Hotel Rome

My thoughts on how to book is to stick with the hotel's official website, unless a third party's booking engine appreciably can save you money. Here's the official website:
UNA Hotel Rome - 4 star hotel Rome centre - Hotel Rome near train station

Big caveat: be sure to request an internal facing room, ie. courtyard room, because otherwise the street noise could get in the way of your plan of getting to sleep early. If it was me, I'd put the request in the reservation itself, AND a week before the stay I'd contact them via email or even call them to confirm my upcoming reservation and to let them know my number one request is for a quiet room. (I also travel with ear plugs, which is always a smart backup for any traveler, IMHO).

Here's is location and walking directions from Termini on google: https://goo.gl/maps/4pYV6pDV5o62

And here is the hotel via google's streetview. (Don't mind that this link has 26 Via Giovanni Amendola marked in its upper left hand corner - the view itself, if the link works, is across the street at the hotel's address of 57 Via G. Amendola, which you can see if you zoom in.)

I could have sworn I've read a FTer account of this place, but I did a search for UNA and came back with nada.....
Perche and CHSBoater like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:09 am
JBD

Boutique hotel recommendation on Monti's western edge: Nerva Hotel

...On return, after the walking trip, I probably want to spend more time around the Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill then up by the Pantheon, so I'm thinking Monti neighborhood. I like the concept of being more in a neighborhood than a tourist center, with local restaurants and such. Budget about the same, maybe stretch to 250 for a really nice place, again quiet room off the main streets. I do want to see the Pantheon but walking is not a problem....
Just my 2˘ -

Since you'll be visiting the Colosseo/Forum/Palatine but also be heading into the heart of the Centro Storico, my thought for you is to be located on Monti's south western edge which is marked by the street Via Tor de' Conti, so you'll be somewhat in the center of where you're intending to visit.

Along the south/west side of this street you'll see an ancient wall, which was put up when Augustus built his forum on the other side of the wall. For anyone who's interested here's an informative page with an illustration of the Temple of Mars Ultor and its "Precinct Wall".

Here's google's streetview of Via Tor de Conti to "walk" down, with the "Precinct Wall" on view: https://goo.gl/maps/AqnSHt4tVj22

And here's google's map of Via Tor de' Conti, where you can see the hotels in that area: https://goo.gl/maps/gLRZtEFGmcr

These cover the gamut from the luxe Inn at the Roman Forum on nearby Via Degli Ibernesi to the homey, but well regarded Residenze Maritti. But in terms of receiving the best overall service with consistently well maintained rooms, I'd recommend the Nerva Hotel. Here's its official website.

They did a huge renovation years ago and raised their rates considerably from what they used to be, but I still consider this place a good value. But this is definitely one of those hotels where I see varying rates depending if the stay is towards the beginning of November versus the middle of the month, and rates differ from weekdays to weekends, etc.

So depending on your dates your budget may get you their 17sqm Boutique Budget Queen Room or, your same budget could get you their 39sqm Premium Suite. A few things to keep in mind if interested in this place: a room with a view affords you a view of that wall, wiith accompanying street noise (from the cars whizzing by, not usually from loud party people); their breakfast is nicely reviewed but it will cost you an additional €10 per person so it may or may not be a good deal for you; when booking you can also arrange for an airport transfer at €50, so if you were planning on taking a cab to FCO, using their service might prove easier. At booking they also offer tours - which I would not recommend arranging through them. You can also buy a Roma Pass from them, which is a whole other topic on whether it's a good deal in general, but given CHSBoater 's particulars, I would not think it would be a good value for them. One last thing to note: they offer a 15% discount if you provide a credit card to make the reservation, but pay in cash "during your stay". This kind of thing is usually a red flag to me - are they doing this for some underhanded tax benefit - but I've been reading about this place for years and it consistently earns high praise so I'm not concerned. For whatever that's worth!

You definitely have a ton more options than this one suggestion, but thought I'd throw it out there now because I'm going to be away from the internet for awhile, and I do rank this place at the top.

Happy planning!!
obscure2k, PWMTrav and CHSBoater like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
I can second the recommendation for the Hotel Nerva. Location is good, team is friendly and helpful, and hotel is clean and well run
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:09 am

Thank you JDB - great information much appreciated. Specifically, we arrive on 1 November and will head to Puglia on 2 November. Right now, the plan is to return on 11 November (a Sunday) and our flight out is 13 November. By the end of the Puglia trip, we'll just be walking from town to town on the coast, and the coast does not appear to be as interesting as say, Cornwall or Wales, so we might cut it short and spend one more day in Rome.

I specifically did not mention hotels I bookmarked, because I didn't want to limit the discussion. I had bookmarked UNA Hotel, and in fact it was discussed on this thread about a hundred posts ago. Also, at Termini, I was looking at Gioberti Art Hotel, although it's not as well reviewed (I know, don't pay attention to TripAdvisor), but it's funkiness appeals to me.

I also bookmarked Monti Palace (street noise?) and Princeps Boutique (to far from the action?) I looked at Nerva but something turned me off, breakfast maybe, but I'll look again. Note: I eat breakfast like an Italian, but my wife has to have food in the morning and breakfast in the hotel will get us underway earlier.

On the other side of the Capitoline, I saw the Kolbe, but it looks like a huge business conference type hotel. May I'll look a little harder in that area.

I also looked at The Inn at the Forum, but Perche said something about street hawkers outside at all hours, plus the bedding arrangements don't work for us (lack of twin beds).

Just for grins, I looked at the Palazzo Manfredi, and I might yet do it, but it seems a bit out of the way.

Meanwhile, I'll spend some more time looking at B&B options. Stairs are not a problem. The little places we say at on these walking trips seldom have a lift.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to respond. Any other input appreciated. I will definitely report back what I decide to do.

Last edited by CHSBoater; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:44 am Reason: key the wrong key
Old Mar 16, 2018, 5:41 pm
JBD

Thank you JDB - great information much appreciated. Specifically, we arrive on 1 November and will head to Puglia on 2 November. Right now, the plan is to return on 11 November (a Sunday) and our flight out is 13 November. By the end of the Puglia trip, we'll just be walking from town to town on the coast, and the coast does not appear to be as interesting as say, Cornwall or Wales, so we might cut it short and spend one more day in Rome.

I specifically did not mention hotels I bookmarked, because I didn't want to limit the discussion. I had bookmarked UNA Hotel, and in fact it was discussed on this thread about a hundred posts ago. Also, at Termini, I was looking at Gioberti Art Hotel, although it's not as well reviewed (I know, don't pay attention to TripAdvisor), but it's funkiness appeals to me.

I also bookmarked Monti Palace (street noise?) and Princeps Boutique (to far from the action?) I looked at Nerva but something turned me off, breakfast maybe, but I'll look again. Note: I eat breakfast like an Italian, but my wife has to have food in the morning and breakfast in the hotel will get us underway earlier.

On the other side of the Capitoline, I saw the Kolbe, but it looks like a huge business conference type hotel. May I'll look a little harder in that area.

I also looked at The Inn at the Forum, but Perche said something about street hawkers outside at all hours, plus the bedding arrangements don't work for us (lack of twin beds).

Just for grins, I looked at the Palazzo Manfredi, and I might yet do it, but it seems a bit out of the way.

Meanwhile, I'll spend some more time looking at B&B options. Stairs are not a problem. The little places we say at on these walking trips seldom have a lift.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to respond. Any other input appreciated. I will definitely report back what I decide to do.
Just saw this, wanted to reply, but short on time so forgive the sloppiness -

Although I said I regard the Nerva a good value, with your dates given your options, I take that back. For a non-prepaid cancellable rate with breakfast it would be €565 total for 11 Nov to 13 November. And that's for the 17sqm queen room.

Down the street is the Hotel Forum Rome, which is tired and the reviews show it. But, they have recently renovated "New Style Superiors" with either 2 twins or a queen which is what I'd book if staying there, foregoing the rooms with a view since they haven't been updated in years. A non-prepaid cancellable rate with breakfast would be €430 total for your 2 nights, and that room is 22sqm. The breakfast's quality might not be fabulous, but it's served on their rooftop restaurant which has arguably the best view in Rome, and starting your days there really could give you that jaw-dropping, not in Kansas anymore, fun experience. However, since you'll be there when it's cold and probably rainy, the view through the plastic weather protective hangings will probably be somewhat muted. But the location is great for you, you'd have more physical space.... Just someplace else to check out.

The Kolbe started off as a monastery or nunnery or something of that nature, so it's not, IMO, a big convention style place, although the decor of the rooms is on the sterile side. I love that street (Via di San Teodoro) and that whole pocket of streets. There's also the Palazzo Al Velabro on the adjacent Via del Velabro. The hotel on Via Luigi Petroselli is 47 Hotel. But I'll contradict what I posted earlier - these places, and the Aventine area, I don't think would be a centralized base for you. If you were also wanting to explore Trastevere and Testaccio, then they would be. (I'm all about being located in the center of where I'm planning to visit).

I looked at the Palazzo Manfredi too, and its location will be further away from the Pantheon, but handy for the Colosseo - and it's close to a terrific place to explore, especially on a rainy day, which is the Basilica San Clemente: Basilica San Clemente - Basilica San Clemente - Official Website

And I'll just add this if it helps you or another FTer, you'll see on Palazzo Manfredi's site the option for staying in an apartment. I thoroughly researched this for myself. I was excited at first, they have apartments on Via dei Serpenti in the heart of Monti, and also on Via Marco Aurelio in the Celio, and their rates are much more affordable than their hotel. But, I read enough horrible things about the apartments to end that option.

I'll be back in a week. Ciao for now.

Edited to add:
Regarding staying on Via di San Teodoro or in that vicinity: looking at a map one might think that it's as convenient to visiting the Forum and Palatine as if staying in Monti on the other side, and it was when the Forum had open access. But now the only way to enter the Forum and Palatine is from Via dei Fori Imperiali or Via di San Gregorio. So staying in this area if you want to get to Rome's center or to the Forum/Palatine/Colosseo, you'll have to either ascend the Capitoline from what used to be its front entrance in Republican times, cross the Michelangelo designed piazza, descend the Cordonata (which is great fun but to those with limited time in Rome will become a nuisance), or walk around the circumference of the Capitoline, or if going in the other direction, around the Palatine.

Last edited by JBD; Mar 16, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:40 am

Thanks again JBD. I definitely like the looks of the Hotel Forum Rome. Wonder what the New Style Superior rooms have for a view? The building next door 1 foot away? Not that it matters much since we will mainly be in the room when it's dark.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: United, Starwood
Does anyone know anything about the Best Western Hotel Universo? It appeals to us because it has family rooms (we are two adults and two teenage children) and fits within our budget of around 200 euros a night. We're spending 4 days in Rome and then three days in Venice, so it's also convenient to be able to get quickly to and from the train station. August 18th to 25th are our tentative travel dates, although we have a little bit of flexibility there. Appreciate any pictures, trip reports or other suggestions for a Rome hotel that fits those parameters. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2018, 6:12 am

Don't know the hotel, but of all neighbourhoods in Rome, this is one of the least inviting! Other than not having to walk far to the station and having good public transportation possibilities (bus, metro), well, nothing much. Others, though, may think that I am not too harsh in describing it...
Old Jun 24, 2018, 6:26 pm

Hope, folks dont mind reactivating this very useful thread.

Need help from thread experts for four ladies (2 middle aged, 2 young teens) for two nights/3 days pre-cruise in Rome after arriving from USA red-eye
(first visit to Rome, bit scarred of petty crimes so safe neighborhood important budget 250-300 USD or slightly more per night)
Also need family room that can accomodate all four which seems to be a huge constraint in Europe in general.

Given that familiar chain hotels are not around Parthenon/Trevi central area, seeking help from local experts for recommendation.
Last minute trip - looking for july 5 & 6.

Appreciate any help.

(several hotels recommended in this thread dont have a room for 4 or are sold out already)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.