Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:48 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by flwrlover1
Family of 4 traveling in Nov. We are considering the Albergo Cesari or the Palace Navona di Charme. Both are @ $450 for 3 nights and include breakfast/minibar. The Palace is throwing in a massage for 2. The Albergo looks to have a nicer breakfast/view, at least from the pictures we've seen.

Which would you guys choose out of these two hotels or is there another in a similar price range that you would recommend? Thanks!
Above bolding mine.

To help those who may have other recommendations for you it would be helpful if you could clarify what your "similar price range" is. (Your "@ $450 for 3 nights" isn't as helpful as you may think. Since you're a family of four, are you booking 2 rooms? And it's always clearest to quote the hotel's price in Euros).

In other words, what are you prepared to pay per night in Euros and what type of accommodations are you looking for? (i.e. Two connecting rooms, a family room, a suite, etc).

If having to choose between just the two hotels you've mentioned, I'd choose Albergo Cesari. (I've stayed at neither but just skimmed the reviews).

Side note: November is a great time for a visit, IMO. Less crowds and weather can still be agreeable. Hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:03 pm

Albergo Cesari is recommended upthread, by Perche I think. It's a really good location.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Family of 4 traveling in Nov. We are considering the Albergo Cesari or the Palace Navona di Charme. Both are @ $450 for 3 nights and include breakfast/minibar. The Palace is throwing in a massage for 2. The Albergo looks to have a nicer breakfast/view, at least from the pictures we've seen.

Which would you guys choose out of these two hotels or is there another in a similar price range that you would recommend? Thanks!
A lot has to do with the relationship between quality and price. Neither of these are luxury hotels, but at Cesari you get your money's worth. The location is excellent. Palace Navona is in a louder, noisier area. Cesari is just a few minutes away, but it is tucked away from the crowds a little more. I wouldn't let a free massage sway you. Navona will give you a quick 30 minute massage, and it will not make or break your stay as much as having an optimal room will.

One thing to consider, you didn't mention the ages of the children (I assume you are a couple with two children). In Italy, they are strict about the number of occupants permitted per room. It is enforced. In the USA you can book a room with two queens and sleep a parent and two small children. In Italy you will have to specify the number of people per room. Most rooms are specific for 2 people. Some are for 3. Most hotels don't have a room for 4. I know Cesari does. Make sure that the prices you are being quoted reflect a room for 4. If not, you will need to rent another room when you get there.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
Since you're a family of four, are you booking 2 rooms? And it's always clearest to quote the hotel's price in Euros).

In other words, what are you prepared to pay per night in Euros and what type of accommodations are you looking for? (i.e. Two connecting rooms, a family room, a suite, etc).
@ JBD - Good points. In an ideal world, we'd love to have both a separate bedroom AND 2 twin beds for the kids, but I don't know if any would be in the 175 Euros or less range per night, in a good area. We are prioritizing the location over the room simply because we only have 4 days there. The majority of our vacation will be spent in Bulgaria for a couple of weeks. We plan to spend morning till evening site seeing, so as long as the beds are comfy & the area is convenient/safe, we'll manage.

If I remember correctly, the suite at the Navona hotel had a closed bedroom for some of the suites (not all), but the kids (13 & 14) would have to share the pull out couch (ie: bickering). At the other hotel we would all have beds next to each other, but the kids would be happier because they wouldn't have to share. It's really a toss off I guess in that regard.

So, to answer the question, we don't need 2 rooms. The massage & breakfast are not important to us either.

@ Perch - Thank you for the info about the noise. Thankfully our kids are long past the naptime stage (unlike DH!!), but it's still good to be aware of. We read that most hotels require everyone's passports, so we are using actual ages. It sounds like we should lean toward the hotel you enjoyed, especially since there's not a guarantee that we'd even get a closed bedroom since those are only available in some of the pictures.

Thank you to all who are advising! I don't know when we'll be able to get back to Italy, so we want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Apr 17, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:06 pm
JBD

@ JBD - Good points. In an ideal world, we'd love to have both a separate bedroom AND 2 twin beds for the kids, but I don't know if any would be in the 175 Euros or less range per night, in a good area. We are prioritizing the location over the room simply because we only have 4 days there. The majority of our vacation will be spent in Bulgaria for a couple of weeks. We plan to spend morning till evening site seeing, so as long as the beds are comfy & the area is convenient/safe, we'll manage.

If I remember correctly, the suite at the Navona hotel had a closed bedroom for some of the suites (not all), but the kids (13 & 14) would have to share the pull out couch (ie: bickering). At the other hotel we would all have beds next to each other, but the kids would be happier because they wouldn't have to share. It's really a toss off I guess in that regard.

So, to answer the question, we don't need 2 rooms. The massage & breakfast are not important to us either.

@ Perch - Thank you for the info about the noise. Thankfully our kids are long past the naptime stage (unlike DH!!), but it's still good to be aware of. We read that most hotels require everyone's passports, so we are using actual ages. It sounds like we should lean toward the hotel you enjoyed, especially since there's not a guarantee that we'd even get a closed bedroom since those are only available in some of the pictures.

Thank you to all who are advising! I don't know when we'll be able to get back to Italy, so we want to enjoy it as much as possible.
Your kids, 13 and 14, for the sake of booking purposes, would be considered adults at most Italian lodgings. (On the Albergo Cesari site it defines children as 4 to 10 years old for instance).

So thanks for your post - now others can make more appropriate recommendations. A room in November, ~175 euro per night, for 4 adults.

And given your above choices, I'd think the Albergo Cesari wins out so that your kids don't have to share a sofa bed.

Since a breakfast is not important to you, have you considered an Airbnb? For €175 a night in November you'd have some nice choices. And although you'll be out all day, having some more elbow room when you're in for the night could make for a more comfortable Rome experience.

If that's an option let me know and I'll post some choices. (And if you could share your actual dates either here, or PM me, then my selections could be more relevant.)
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:15 pm
JBD

...Thank you to all who are advising! I don't know when we'll be able to get back to Italy, so we want to enjoy it as much as possible.
Since you haven't replied yet, I obviously don't know if you're into considering an Airbnb - but I've been looking around its site for random dates in November and I have some suggestions.

But I'll just post my top choice now, since you may not want a rental at all! (But note, this place is booked for some dates in November, so maybe it won't work for you even if you were open to it).

It passed "my tests" when I'm booking an Airbnb:
  • The hosts only manage this one listing
  • You rent the entire apartment
  • There's a moderate cancellation policy
  • It does not appear to be lived in by the hosts when the apartment is not being rented (meaning, the pictures aren't filled with personal dreck and closets full of clothes, etc)
  • It has at least 15 reviews, all the reviews are positive, and there are several mentions that the apartment is quiet at night

I think this could be a great solution for your family's November visit, a really nice alternative to sharing one room containing a row of beds.

It's in a great location, on Via di Santo Stefano del Cacco (the listing doesn't provide the apartment number) but the street isn't that long. Here's the street on Google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/fmxvJnfrL1z
And you can use google's streetview to "walk" down it. (Note though that the picture of the building facade that google uses is just an arbitrary building).

It has two bedrooms, one of which can be configured with two twin beds, and two bathrooms(!!). And there's mention that each bedroom has independent heating - which you'll most likely need for your November stay. And it should be within your price range. Lastly, the building and room details should definitely provide for a "Roman" experience.

Here it is: PANTHEON APARTMENT CENTER ROME

Last edited by JBD; Apr 17, 2017 at 9:31 pm
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread temporarily closed pending Moderator discussion and review
Thanks for your understanding
Obscure2k
Temporary co-mod of Italy Forum

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 17, 2017 at 10:31 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 3:29 pm

This thread has been re-opened.
Thank you for your patience.
Co-Moderator
Perche
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:22 pm

Deleted my question. Just found this site http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/rome.htm which solves my question about a budget hotel near the airport w/free shuttle for a few hours.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Apr 26, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Deleted my question. Just found this site http://www.sleepinginairports.net/europe/rome.htm which solves my question about a budget hotel near the airport w/free shuttle for a few hours.
Buyer beware. That's very dated material.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Perche
Buyer beware. That's very dated material.
Unfortunately, once I added in 4 people vs 2, they also weren't any better of a deal than the ones connected to the airport. Blah. We just want to sleep for a few hours before flying out (we'll be enjoying Italy for several days on the way out). I guess those few hours of sleep are going to cost us $250 unless a sale pops up.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:40 am

The FCO Hilton is convenient for sure, but usually not cheap. Do you have any hilton points to blow? It's ~40,000 points for a standard room, if I recall. That's not a particularly great value, but hilton points are practically worthless to me anyway.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The FCO Hilton is convenient for sure, but usually not cheap. Do you have any hilton points to blow? It's ~40,000 points for a standard room, if I recall. That's not a particularly great value, but hilton points are practically worthless to me anyway.
I think it showed me @ 56,000 yesterday for the family room at the Hilton Garden Inn. I've only got about 12,000 left. I was considering trying to buy some as it seemed like I'd save a little money using points. Maybe they'll run some kind of points promotion in the near future.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
What was your question?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Perche
What was your question?
I was just looking for a cheap hotel near the airport since we don't get in until after 10pm and will be flying out the next morning around 5:00am. 4 adults/family room. Once I add in shuttle service budget hotels go to over $250..around the same price as the Hilton Garden Inn. I was trying to find out if there were other hotels offering free shuttle service, but then found that link. Unfortunately, even the ones mentioned on that site weren't much better. I think we'll just do the HGI.

On the way back, we're going to have a few days to sightsee, but you guys have already been very helpful with recommendations for those nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.