Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:52 pm
JBD

3 suggestions for a hotel with modern style rooms in the historic center that has well reviewed, but not opulent, breakfast selections. Since I don't know your dates I priced Dec 8 to Dec 12 for a solo traveler and found the following close to your price range - but if you're traveling near the holidays these places might exceed your price range.

140 meters from the Cavour metro stop is the 4* Grand Hotel Palatino. http://www.hotelpalatinoroma.com/ Its reviews are a little mixed, but you'd be in Monti with some great restaurant choices. For shopping there are some unique places along Via del Boschetto.

Across town in Prati, 290 meters from the Lepanto metro stop is the 4* Hotel Metropolis. http://www.hotelmetropolisrome.com/ Prati will offer some good restaurant choices. Not really familiar with the shopping over there. You could take the metro for 2 stops to the Spagna stop for luxury shopping around Via Condotti, or head down to Via del Corso which will offer many shopping choices.

The two options above are considered business hotels - they have meeting and event spaces, etc.

This last choice doesn't meet your criteria since it's not a business hotel. It's a 3* geared to leisure travelers but I'm including it because it does have modern style rooms (it did a big remodel a few years ago), and it has the best reviews and the best location of this group. (I tried to find a business hotel with modern rooms near the Pantheon, but couldn't come up with anything near your price range). The Nerva Boutique Hotel on Via Tor de' Conti http://www.hotelnerva.com/en/index You'll have the Forum of Augustus directly in front of you, Monti with all it has to offer behind you. (Actually directly in front of you is the firewall Augustus built to protect his forum from the many fires in the Suburra - where Monti is today). And you'll be in walking distance to most sites except maybe the Vatican (don't know how much you want to avoid walking). It's 550 meters form the Cavour metro stop.

Last edited by JBD; Oct 7, 2015 at 12:10 am Reason: had second thoughts about one of my suggestions
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by KLouis
The OP asked for "some nice local dining & shopping options". Well, in the area where the Radisson Blue is located you certainly have local dining & shopping options, but nice ones? Possibly the least inviting neighbourhood of Rome!
Originally Posted by Perche
Agree. The RB is right next to the train station, a long walk from most of the sights, and like the area around most train stations, it is a bad neighborhood full of transients, pickpockets, and is generally creepy late at night. Not a good hotel either. There's already a long thread on it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...-blu-rome.html
LOL...

I knew that would stir the Italians out of their post-prandial torpor.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:28 pm

I don't mean to steal the thread but does anyone know of good hotels for about $100 or less a night? 2 college students. Dates December 31st - January 7th. Just want to be in a nice area with good transportation, doesn't necessarily have to be right in the center.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by earynnm
I don't mean to steal the thread but does anyone know of good hotels for about $100 or less a night? 2 college students. Dates December 31st - January 7th. Just want to be in a nice area with good transportation, doesn't necessarily have to be right in the center.
That's a very, very tall order. The prices are raised significantly around new Years Eve. Way, way up. Rome can be sold out of hotel rooms around New Years Eve. Of course, you can always find a dump somewhere on the outskirts of town, maybe with a shared bathroom, or get really lucky.

As college students I'd suggest you call or email Camplus right away. I've stayed at their venues a lot. It's a pretty much unknown network of campus housing for foreign students and visiting professors. It's housing, spotlessly clean, private bath, shared kitchen, right next to La Sapienza, the main university in Rome.

It's not like staying in a dorm. Instead, it's like a modest, but very clean hotel. I've stayed at their network in a number of cities in Italy. It's not a place I'd go for a honeymoon, but sometimes I'll stay at one of their places when it is tourist high season because they are in residential neighborhoods, authentic, and without crowds, and often because it can be downright cheap, like 35-50 euros a night for two people, and it can save quite a lot of money, plus you have a refrigerator, kitchen so that you can save on food, and internet is included. I'd say that the main thing you need to do is find a place fast, because NY's Eve is huge in Rome. It's packed, and you may find yourself stuck in something dreadful on that budget.

The information on Camplus, with translation, is below. If you email them or call, don't worry, they speak english, and they're not fussy about your academic credentials. Just tell them you are visiting students hoping to study music, art, architecture or something, and hope they have a room.
http://www.camplusliving.it/roma.html

"L’immediata vicinanza della stazione FS Roma Termini e dell’Università La Sapienza, comodamente raggiungibile anche a piedi, rendono la Foresteria Sapienza perfettamente adatta alle esigenze di ospitalità temporanea di professori e personale dell'Ateneo e di ospiti di altri Atenei italiani e stranieri in visita alla Sapienza, nonché di studenti, assegnisti e borsisti dell'Università La Sapienza e di attività di carattere istituzionale. La struttura che la ospita, risalente al XIV secolo, è stata oggetto di un importante intervento di recupero funzionale che ne ha salvaguardato gli aspetti artistici del piano cosiddetto nobile dove, in alcune camere, è possibile ancora ammirare gli affreschi originali.

Via Volturno 42, Roma.
Tel.: +39 06 94362600
Fax: +39 06 94362606
Mail: [email protected]"

"In the immediate vicinity of the Rome Termini station and the University La Sapienza, comfortably reached by foot, is the Guesthouse Sapienza, perfectly adapted to the needs of visiting professors, students, guests, university staff, and other foreigners with activities characteristic of the institution. The structure of the house is from the fourteenth century, and had an important recent functional remodel that safeguarded the artistic noble aspect, in some rooms you can even see the original frescoes on the wall." Almost nobody knows about this place, so you may get lucky.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 7:18 pm

That's a very, very tall order. The prices are raised significantly around new Years Eve. Way, way up. Rome can be sold out of hotel rooms around New Years Eve. Of course, you can always find a dump somewhere on the outskirts of town, maybe with a shared bathroom, or get really lucky.

As college students I'd suggest you call or email Camplus right away. I've stayed at their venues a lot. It's a pretty much unknown network of campus housing for foreign students and visiting professors. It's housing, spotlessly clean, private bath, shared kitchen, right next to La Sapienza, the main university in Rome.

It's not like staying in a dorm. Instead, it's like a modest, but very clean hotel. I've stayed at their network in a number of cities in Italy. It's not a place I'd go for a honeymoon, but sometimes I'll stay at one of their places when it is tourist high season because they are in residential neighborhoods, authentic, and without crowds, and often because it can be downright cheap, like 35-50 euros a night for two people, and it can save quite a lot of money, plus you have a refrigerator, kitchen so that you can save on food, and internet is included. I'd say that the main thing you need to do is find a place fast, because NY's Eve is huge in Rome. It's packed, and you may find yourself stuck in something dreadful on that budget.

The information on Camplus, with translation, is below. If you email them or call, don't worry, they speak english, and they're not fussy about your academic credentials. Just tell them you are visiting students hoping to study music, art, architecture or something, and hope they have a room.
http://www.camplusliving.it/roma.html

"L’immediata vicinanza della stazione FS Roma Termini e dell’Università La Sapienza, comodamente raggiungibile anche a piedi, rendono la Foresteria Sapienza perfettamente adatta alle esigenze di ospitalità temporanea di professori e personale dell'Ateneo e di ospiti di altri Atenei italiani e stranieri in visita alla Sapienza, nonché di studenti, assegnisti e borsisti dell'Università La Sapienza e di attività di carattere istituzionale. La struttura che la ospita, risalente al XIV secolo, è stata oggetto di un importante intervento di recupero funzionale che ne ha salvaguardato gli aspetti artistici del piano cosiddetto nobile dove, in alcune camere, è possibile ancora ammirare gli affreschi originali.

Via Volturno 42, Roma.
Tel.: +39 06 94362600
Fax: +39 06 94362606
Mail: [email protected]"

"In the immediate vicinity of the Rome Termini station and the University La Sapienza, comfortably reached by foot, is the Guesthouse Sapienza, perfectly adapted to the needs of visiting professors, students, guests, university staff, and other foreigners with activities characteristic of the institution. The structure of the house is from the fourteenth century, and had an important recent functional remodel that safeguarded the artistic noble aspect, in some rooms you can even see the original frescoes on the wall." Almost nobody knows about this place, so you may get lucky.
Ok. I will do that! Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
LOL...

I knew that would stir the Italians out of their post-prandial torpor.
Sorry, I'm Greek!

PS Although, in addition to more than 30-40 visits, I've lived there for more than one year (thus, the sentimental reasons quoted in a previous post).

Last edited by KLouis; Oct 7, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Ok. I will do that! Thank you!
I just called them on your behalf, and you won't be able to get into Forestiere Sapienza. Student housing is still your best bet on a budget. I took the liberty of calling another property for students, located in Trastevere, and they availability from December 31-January 7th at 100 euro's per night. You're not going to do much better than that without going way out in the periphery of the city, and if you want to participate in New Years Even festivities, remember, the trains don't run all night and you could get stuck.

You can call (Skype) them at +39 3396111931. They have availability now. Also, email them. I can't say how good their english is, I think not so good, but email they can find someone to translate. They said they usually do longer rentals, but will do the 7 nights. These things don't last, so I'd be on it.

http://www.home4students.it
http://www.home4students.it/index.php/chi-siamo
http://www.home4students.it/index.php/contattaci
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:14 pm

Student housing over new years would probably be a lot of fun if you're still of the partying type, too!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, I always go to the Novotel Corso Trieste (which is actually some 500m from the Corso Trieste). It's around 10 min. walk from the Metro Station, nice small and quiet hotel, and due to the neighborhood of sentimental value to me (and obviously to nobody else here ). The quartiere africano is a 15 min. walk away, with good shopping possibilities, several mid-priced restaurants in the area, anything but the middle of nowhere (though, yes, far away from the Centro storico).

The Novotel Piazza Bologna is very close to the Tiburtina station (10 min. walk; very convenient if you take the train) and one minute away from the next metro station.

Now, with the -40% off special for Accor A|Club members, I found the former for 59 Euro in Nov/Dec and the latter for 69 Euro!
Thanks.

Does the Mercure Piazza Bologona offer executive rooms & an executive checkin desk?
Some Novotels offer both & it has made the visits immensley more pleasant .

cheers
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:47 pm
JBD

You and your boyfriend could airbnb it.

These 3 are rentals in Monti showing availability for your dates and are within your budget. In these instances you'd be renting the entire apartment.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2860249...s=2&s=YN8ifGtR

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/702165?...s=2&s=YN8ifGtR

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6097385...s=2&s=qn_4WQP7

I was looking for places that had many good reviews, and Monti is an ideal area.

If you'd be ok with just renting out a room you'd have more options. Other areas within Rome to check out for an airbnb within your budget is Testaccio and San Lorenzo of course where you'll be surrounded by fellow students. But I'd shoot for Monti.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:25 pm

You could check the Beehive Hostel. it's in Monti, near the Colesseum
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
...Does the Mercure Piazza Bologona offer executive rooms & an executive checkin desk?
Some Novotels offer both & it has made the visits immensley more pleasant .
I got an "upgraded" room as a Platinum member at my single stay there (I usually go the the Mercure Corso Trieste), and the room was absolutely satisfying. Certainly, as a relatively small hotel you don't have a separate check-in desk, but if you use their on-line check-in procedure, which I always get offered when booking an Accor hotel in Italy, you just go to the desk, they photocopy your passport/ID card and you get your key. Takes 1 minute maximum.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:12 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by mromalley
You could check the Beehive Hostel. it's in Monti, near the Colesseum
It's a good suggestion, but it's in the Castro Pretorio Rione which is north of Termini and about 2 km from the Colosseum. The area's kind of sketchy, but the property is very well regarded. (San Lorenzo is rather on the seedy side too). And the Beehive's rates fluctuates with the season, meaning higher rates for NYE. But a good suggestion to check out.

The thing I found with the airbnb listings I linked is that there weren't high season rates when you searched for a weekly rental, for Jan 31 to Dec 7. But maybe when you message the property they'd decline the res at the standard weekly price. I don't know. Or maybe the host would be happy to have a booking for 7 days. It's worth a shot.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:19 am

I just called them on your behalf, and you won't be able to get into Forestiere Sapienza. Student housing is still your best bet on a budget. I took the liberty of calling another property for students, located in Trastevere, and they availability from December 31-January 7th at 100 euro's per night. You're not going to do much better than that without going way out in the periphery of the city, and if you want to participate in New Years Even festivities, remember, the trains don't run all night and you could get stuck.

You can call (Skype) them at +39 3396111931. They have availability now. Also, email them. I can't say how good their english is, I think not so good, but email they can find someone to translate. They said they usually do longer rentals, but will do the 7 nights. These things don't last, so I'd be on it.

http://www.home4students.it
http://www.home4students.it/index.php/chi-siamo
http://www.home4students.it/index.php/contattaci
Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by JBD
You and your boyfriend could airbnb it.

These 3 are rentals in Monti showing availability for your dates and are within your budget. In these instances you'd be renting the entire apartment.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2860249...s=2&s=YN8ifGtR

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/702165?...s=2&s=YN8ifGtR

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6097385...s=2&s=qn_4WQP7

I was looking for places that had many good reviews, and Monti is an ideal area.

If you'd be ok with just renting out a room you'd have more options. Other areas within Rome to check out for an airbnb within your budget is Testaccio and San Lorenzo of course where you'll be surrounded by fellow students. But I'd shoot for Monti.
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.