Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, BA, DL, UA, TK, SPG Gold
I did not think i would be asking this question but I need advice. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children and have a 2 night stay in Rome from 26th to 28th December. Kids are teenagers and not afraid to walk the streets. This will be our 5th trip to Rome (all in December) in 8 years. Normally, we stay at the Radisson Blu. Not the greatest location / hotel but it works. You can access the hotel from the back side of Termini to the back side of the hotel (next to the Garage). Makes it really convenient-coming / going to airport or other cities by train. It also has a modern, and spacious feel which we like.

However, as i price out the stay, it is coming to close to 800 Euros for two days, of course these are basic refundable rates. For that price, i could stay in place like Westin Excelsior. Not sure what to do.

We will be arriving by train and leaving by flight.

thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
Originally Posted by mullisingfb
I did not think i would be asking this question but I need advice. We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children and have a 2 night stay in Rome from 26th to 28th December. Kids are teenagers and not afraid to walk the streets. This will be our 5th trip to Rome (all in December) in 8 years. Normally, we stay at the Radisson Blu. Not the greatest location / hotel but it works. You can access the hotel from the back side of Termini to the back side of the hotel (next to the Garage). Makes it really convenient-coming / going to airport or other cities by train. It also has a modern, and spacious feel which we like.

However, as i price out the stay, it is coming to close to 800 Euros for two days, of course these are basic refundable rates. For that price, i could stay in place like Westin Excelsior. Not sure what to do.

We will be arriving by train and leaving by flight.

thanks for the advice.
I would book two rooms at Albergo del Senato, take taxi from the station and Blacklane to the airport. You cannot beat the location
Old Nov 18, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, BA, DL, UA, TK, SPG Gold
Thanks VitaliU, the place looks gorgeous! i will definitely take a look, appreciate your input.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Parco dei Principi Grand Hotel has some larger rooms at times that can be a good deal for families. But it's better during the pool season.
mullisingfb likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: United
Stayed at IQ hotel in October - modern (Scandinavian feel) and very clean - Opera House next door. Republicca station 3 min walk, Termini 5 min walk. Will hold your bags in their storage room.
They were so nice to one traveler who was going to keep his checked bag for 4 days in their room while he traveled to Florence and back
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:09 pm

please help me finalize hotel

I've spent the entire day researching and need some help on decisions.
3 nts in Rome in Mid-October
2 ladies... 1 has never been to Rome so must do the basics and she walks slowly.

So... prefer convenient location to sights and restaurants... and would enjoy a bigger room so have explored booking triple for extra space.
Some hotels I can't find room size... that must mean it's small!
All have free breakfast and free wifi...

Im guessing the first 4** are better locations???
and the first two are the biggest:
If you had to choose, which would it be... or is there a hotel I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

**Terrace Pantheon Relais
Via di Torre Argentina, 18, 00186
$764 king and twin, nonrefundable 269 sq ft 25m

**Residenza Farnese
Via del Mascherone, 59, 00186
triple $784 248 sq ft

**Hotel Nazionale Roma
Piazza di Monte Citorio, 131, 00186 Roma RM,
twin 165 sqft 16m $778 nonrefundable

**Hotel Damaso
Piazza della Cancelleria, 62, 00186
$750 nonrefundable twin

Hotel Almafi
Via Merulana, 278, 00185
triple with balcony $700 refundable

Kolbe Hotel Rome
Via di San Teodoro 48, Rome, RM, 186
triple 1 dblb 1 twin 21m 225 sqft $832/ refundable

The K Boutique Hotel
Largo visconti venosta, 228, 00184
$575 twin refundable
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by want2go
...{snip}...
**Terrace Pantheon Relais
On an inner-city major thoroughfare: may be too loud, but otherwise strategically located.

**Residenza Farnese
Via del Mascherone, 59, 00186
Central but quiet. Lots of traffic along the river, lots of tourists on Campo de fiori.

**Hotel Nazionale Roma
Piazza di Monte Citorio, 131, 00186 Roma RM,
Right in front of the Parliament. Beware of demostrations...

**Hotel Damaso
Piazza della Cancelleria, 62, 00186
Now, this will be almost as loud as the first one on the list.

Hotel Almafi
Via Merulana, 278, 00185
Uphill, close to Termini, personally I would not pick this.

Kolbe Hotel Rome
Via di San Teodoro 48, Rome, RM, 186
Nice area, longish walk to metro.

The K Boutique Hotel
Largo visconti venosta, 228, 00184
Some people love the area, I don't.
Some brief comments in the "quote box" in blue. Are your prices per night? Very, very expensive, do you really think it's worth it? If I had to choose based on the location only, I'd pick either the Kolbe or the Residenza Farnese.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Some brief comments in the "quote box" in blue. Are your prices per night? Very, very expensive, do you really think it's worth it? If I had to choose based on the location only, I'd pick either the Kolbe or the Residenza Farnese.
Thank you for your remarks.

No, the price is for the 3 nights total.

Is there another hotel that you like to reserve when you are in Rome?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by want2go
...{sip}...Is there another hotel that you like to reserve when you are in Rome?
Yes, in most cases I stay at the Mercure Corso Trieste; quiet area, very "borghese", well connected by bus and metro, garage available, and it's very close to where I stayed in Rome in the mid-late 90s (nostalgia). But I've been almost everywhere, the only constant feature is that I avoid the centro storico (last time there was in 1984!). Last October I even booked an Airbnb in the Pignetto. Close to both by friends and the metro station, and I always found a parking spot right outside my door!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, in most cases I stay at the Mercure Corso Trieste; quiet area, very "borghese", well connected by bus and metro, garage available, and it's very close to where I stayed in Rome in the mid-late 90s (nostalgia). But I've been almost everywhere, the only constant feature is that I avoid the centro storico (last time there was in 1984!). Last October I even booked an Airbnb in the Pignetto. Close to both by friends and the metro station, and I always found a parking spot right outside my door!
Thank you again... maybe can utilize it on a future trip. I do think on this one there is big need to be close to the historical city.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Hi. Just reading this latest exchange and hope I'm not too late to vote for the first address which is on a side street, not the main drag:
Terrace Pantheon Relais

It's not the quietest neighborhood in Rome, but the hotel close to but not actually on the main drag. It is on narrow street leading in one direction to the Pantheon (2 minutes) and in the other (1 minute) to the Largo Argentina area, where there are bus stops, a taxi stand, and a major book store, not mention an ancient ruin excavated 20 feet below street level. You would be just steps or a short walk from all kinds of restaurants and some very good coffee and very good gelato. You'd be about 8 blocks from the Capitoline. You'd be pretty close to Campo de' Fiori (shops, restaurants, open market) and Piazza Navona (more restaurants & shops). You would be near several major churches worth a look if you have time (Sant' Ivo, Sant' Andrea della Valle, S. Ignazio, the Gesł, many more). You'd be just a few blocks from the Tiber, on the other side of which is Trastevere and its many good (and usually cheaper) restaurants.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Joanna2360
Hi. Just reading this latest exchange and hope I'm not too late to vote for the first address which is on a side street, not the main drag:
Terrace Pantheon Relais

It's not the quietest neighborhood in Rome, but the hotel close to but not actually on the main drag. It is on narrow street leading in one direction to the Pantheon (2 minutes) and in the other (1 minute) to the Largo Argentina area, where there are bus stops, a taxi stand, and a major book store, not mention an ancient ruin excavated 20 feet below street level. You would be just steps or a short walk from all kinds of restaurants and some very good coffee and very good gelato. You'd be about 8 blocks from the Capitoline. You'd be pretty close to Campo de' Fiori (shops, restaurants, open market) and Piazza Navona (more restaurants & shops). You would be near several major churches worth a look if you have time (Sant' Ivo, Sant' Andrea della Valle, S. Ignazio, the Gesł, many more). You'd be just a few blocks from the Tiber, on the other side of which is Trastevere and its many good (and usually cheaper) restaurants.
And you are closer to more cats than you could ever imagine
MCIUnitedGuy likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:48 pm

The smell of exhausts from Corso Vittorio Emanuele greatly covers any from the cats, so there should be no problem.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:52 am

I'm looking at hotels for spring/summer/fall 2022 (dates TBD but probably will try to book about a year out for maximum availability), trying to do so with Marriott or Hyatt points if possible. Hotel De'Ricci seems to be centrally located and has King beds. It isn't too close to the piazzas that many seem to try to avoid due to noise, so it's hopefully in a quieter neighborhood. Unlike many others farther north or east, within short-ish walking distance to Trastevere as well. Has anyone stayed here and have strong opinions? I couldn't find any mention on this thread or the SLH thread.

Babuino 181 is also under consideration, but is a bit farther from historic sites, doubling or tripling walking time. I've seen comments that that area is "nice to live in, but inconvenient for a tourist", but some of these comments are nearing a decade old. Has the neighborhood (or transportation options) changed much, or is that still pretty much the case? As a high priority, we'd like some good food options nearby that aren't crappy and touristy, which of these neighborhoods is better for that?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:58 pm

The Babuino is close to the Piazza del Popolo, in other words, it is located in the centro storico and not at all "inconvenient for a tourist"! Forget "transportation" for both hotels you mention (Metro station somewhat close to the Babuino, bus station somewhat close to De' Ricci - somewhat close: within walking distance); they're both very nicely located and there are lots (10s!) of restaurants closeby, though it will be difficult to avoid the touristy ones both in the centro storico and Trastevere. I guess this will be your first time in Rome, enjoy it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.