Traffic ticket payment early bird discount

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Life-Plat, Hyatt ex-Diamond, Hilton ex-Diamond, UA ex-1K, Avis ex-Chairman

i received a notice from Italy regarding a traffic ticket, which comes with a 30% discount if paid within 5 days. The notice date was a few weeks ago and I just received it probably because of mail delay.

My question is, can I just pay the discounted rate since I just received it? I doubt if 5 days is sufficient even for Italians to have a reasonable chance of enjoying that discount. And my notice was generated only after rental car company provided them with my info, which adds to the delay. It is unclear on the notice when the clock starts ticking.

I intend to pay and I am not going to argue whether 5 day is fair, but I would like to know whether any of you faced a similar situation before. Thru the payment portal with all ticket details, I am still able to select to pay either the full or discounted amount voluntarily.

Next time I will be more careful...
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by limo
... I doubt if 5 days is sufficient even for Italians to have a reasonable chance of enjoying that discount. ...
Through payments to an IBAN account, even in Italy payments (including international ones) only take a few hours. Still, I would just add a note with your payment that you received the letter "then and then" and that you are within the -30% period. I doubt that they'll ask for the remaining.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Just pay the reduced price while it is still offered online.

Italy has its own unique sayings or proverbs. For example, if you want to wish someone good luck you tell them, "you are in the mouth of the wolf." The only reasonable response to that to avoid bad luck is to respond, "may the wolf croak."

Take it or leave it, in italian is, "mangiar questa minestra, o saltar questa finestra." Eat the soup or jump out of the window.

Not to make a mountain out of a molehill you say in italian, "Don't turn a fly into an elephant." Non far d'una mosca un elefante.

You're beating around the bush you say, "you're walking the dog around the barnyard."

In your case, you have a chance to pay the ticket at the lower price today. I'd take it while it is still offered, and don't wait. In English it would be a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. In Italy you would say, "Un uovo oggi e' meglio che una gallina domani." Having an egg today is better than getting a chicken tomorrow.

Eat the egg and pay the ticket.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
The 5 days 30% reduction starts from the day you got the ticket notified in your hands, not from the day it was issued.
Within Italy the actual notice has to be signed upon reception, therefore there's no uncertainty about it.

In your case I'd pay the reduced rate and save any proof that you actually just got ticket.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Life-Plat, Hyatt ex-Diamond, Hilton ex-Diamond, UA ex-1K, Avis ex-Chairman
Thanks all for the advice and inspiring Italian proverbs!

My only remaining worry is that they will chase me for the remaining 30%, or worse, chase the rental car company which may cost me more admin fee.

I sent an email about this to the address on the notice and received an auto reply that it typically takes 3-6 days at the soonest for them to respond.

I just took my chances (seems good) and paid. Finger crossed this is the end of it!
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:52 am
Original Poster

I just received the official police confirmation that the clock starts ticking from the day I received the notice. Yeah!
Old Apr 18, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
OT, but related: A few years ago I got a ticket in Italy. I rec'd the notice, but misplaced it and never paid. Does anyone know if I'll have an issue when re-entering Italy later this year?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by AAMillionaire
OT, but related: A few years ago I got a ticket in Italy. I rec'd the notice, but misplaced it and never paid. Does anyone know if I'll have an issue when re-entering Italy later this year?
You will not have trouble entering. You will likely have trouble renting a car. You also might get contacted by a collection agency in the USA at some point, depending on when it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.