Reload this Page >

One day in Positando and Pompeii

Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:40 pm
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver

I'm planning a trip to Rome in april (~ april 20-23), and will have one free day; I'm thinking about going to Pompeii and Positano, just those two places, since I realize it's a short time. Is it posible to visit both? What's the best way to get there? Bus and train combinations?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:15 pm

Here's a classical Radio Erivan answer: Yes, but...

Even with a high-speed train it will take you more than 2-3 hours to get to Pompei from Rome as, after getting to Naples, you'll have to walk to the Circumvesuviana station, buy a ticket, wait for the next train and get to Pompei Scavi. Then, based on my own 5 visits there, count with at least 3-4 hours to see the place (including the Villa dei Misteri) and to... appreciate it! The biggest problem, then is how to get to Positano from there by public means; close to impossible or at least 2 hours in my opinion. After getting there and by the time you've walked "a bit" through the city, you're ready to start your return trip, which should bring you back to Rome around midnight, assuming you left from there at 8 in the morning. Finally, count with a 12 hours long sleep to recover.

The only way you could do this in a half-way normal way is to rent a car. This would, at least, provide you with a more efficient method of getting to Positano from Pompei Scavi but you'd have to add other problems such as parking the car!

I guess the thing to do is to go to Pompei only and leave Positano for your next trip. Anyway, in terms of significance, if you rate Pompei with a ten, Positano would be close to a two or three.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Yes I'll consider just visit Pompeii. It looks too complicated trying to see both places
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I have done something similar twice and it was a perfect day. Hire a private tour/car for the day. Here is the guide I highly recommend. http://pompeiitourguide.com/. Fourth generation Pompeii guide and he will set up the entire trip for you. They pick you up in Rome and return you at the end of your day (12-13 hours). You will not be sorry.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by rabtech
I have done something similar twice and it was a perfect day. Hire a private tour/car for the day. Here is the guide I highly recommend. http://pompeiitourguide.com/. Fourth generation Pompeii guide and he will set up the entire trip for you. They pick you up in Rome and return you at the end of your day (12-13 hours). You will not be sorry.
Out of curiosity, how much does this cost?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
To OP, just curious. If you don't mind me asking, how much time have you spent in Rome?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Perche
To OP, just curious. If you don't mind me asking, how much time have you spent in Rome?
3 days and a half in Rome. It's my second time in Rome and I've planned one day to go somewhere outside the city. Pompeii/Positano was the first choice (never been there). If it turns complicated, I'd go to Florence (I was there once too).
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I've hired a private guide from Naples to Positano/Amalfi Drive/Pompeii but it's all day from there. I'd go to Pompeii or Capri (Blue Grotto) over Positano

Pompeii and Capri should be a normal tour offered from Rome on a few tours (on Viator, via hotel and other options.

I spent a month in Italy last year and have many posts on blog philatravelgirl

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.