Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Where to Stay In Rome
There is an abundance of choices when deciding where to stay in Rome. We encourage you to post on this thread with questions about specific properties or with your specific needs - whether it be using hotel points, or wanting to be near certain attractions or transportation, etc. And the more details you give us (i.e. what time of year your stay will be, your budget, how many in your party), the more fitting our suggestions can be.

The consensus for the "ideal" area for the typical tourist to be based in - is around the Pantheon. The reason is three-fold.
First: The places most visitors will want to see are situated in a relatively small area within the city of Rome, and somewhat encircle the Pantheon. This map is put out by a particular hotel, but it's representative of the typical "tourist" map with the major landmarks noted. Arguably, the two sites of popular interest that are the furthest away from each other are the Vatican and the Colosseum, and according to Google maps the walking distance between them is 3.5 km, or 2.17 miles. If you were based around the Pantheon, then your walk to the Vatican would be about 2 km, or 1.25 miles and your walk to the Colosseum would also be around 2 km /1.25 miles.

Second: The area around the Pantheon is on level ground, which means you won't have to climb/and descend Rome's fabled hills every time you venture out. Here is a map of Rome's walls but it also shows its hills, colored grey, with the flat-ish areas colored beige.

Third: The area you see around the Pantheon is comprised of Rome's most quintessential piazzas and labyrinthine cobblestone streets. Here is google's satellite view of this area and beyond.
But certainly there are also wonderful spots to be based in throughout the whole area seen on that satellite map, which will put you basically in the center, if not perfectly equidistant to all the sites. (And all the common sense rules apply regarding avoiding a noisy choice: avoid being directly on a busy road, or piazza, unless assured of double paned windows).
Rome's Tourist Accommodation Tax
Below is a cut and paste from the official 060608 site (made in May 2017; verified for current accuracy in April 2019). And here's the link to the 060608 page for the most up to date information:
Roma Capitale - Tourist Accommodation Tax

Anyone staying in a hotel, bed& breakfast, holiday home, guest house or camp site in Rome, with the sole exception of hostels, is subject to pay an overnight accommodation tax for every day spent in the Eternal City.

The rates are per person.

Hotels:

1-2 Star Hotels: € 3,00 per night, max 10 days;
3 Star Hotels: € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;
4 Star Hotels: € 6,00 per night, max 10 days;
5 Star Hotels: € 7,00 per night, max 10 days;

Bed & Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Holiday Homes and Apartments:
- € 3,50 per night, max 10 days;

Tourist Farms and Residences:
- € 4,00 per night, max 10 days;

Camp Sites, Open Air Facilities and Equipped Park Areas:
- € 2,00 per night, max 5 days;

How to pay? You can pay cash or by card, at the end of your stay, directly on site. You will be given a personal receipt. The overnight accommodation tax is applicable up to a maximum of 10 consecutive nights within one solar year, provided that you spend the nights at the same accommodation facility. The payment is due for a maximum of 5 nights for the guests of camping grounds, open air facilities and areas equipped for temporary stops.
Exemptions. Persons who are residents of Rome, children up to age 10, all who accompany patients for health reasons, members of the State police force and the other armed forces, and one coach driver and one tour leader/tourist guide for every 23 group members.
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Rome [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:56 am

Centrally located hotel in Rome

Hi

I'd appreciate suggestions for hotels in Rome which are:
Centrally located
near an subway/underground station
have some nice local dining & shopping options

Of course the hotel itself needs to be pleasant to stay (modern rooms etc.). A big buffet breakfast would be nice. 4* rating and above.

Gracia
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Hi

Centrally located

Of course the hotel itself needs to be pleasant to stay (modern rooms etc.). A big buffet breakfast would be nice. 4* rating and above.

Gracia
Can you be more specific? Rome is huge, with multiple centers. Any particular neighborhood or agenda in mind?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Try the Radisson Blu.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:47 pm

The OP asked for "some nice local dining & shopping options". Well, in the area where the Radisson Blue is located you certainly have local dining & shopping options, but nice ones? Possibly the least inviting neighbourhood of Rome!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
The OP asked for "some nice local dining & shopping options". Well, in the area where the Radisson Blues is located you certainly have local dining & shopping options, but nice ones? Possibly the least inviting neighbourhood of Rome!
Agree. The RB is right next to the train station, a long walk from most of the sights, and like the area around most train stations, it is a bad neighborhood full of transients, pickpockets, and is generally creepy late at night. Not a good hotel either. There's already a long thread on it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...-blu-rome.html

Still a difficult vague and difficult question to answer. Like asking for a centrally located hotel in Manhattan, except that Manhattan has only 1.6 million people and Rome has 2.6 million people. It's not a small town with a single center. I guess the OP is asking to stay in the historic center, and for that you can't be better located than staying around the Pantheon. Albergo Cesare is a nice hotel at a reasonable price in that area that comes to mind.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:11 pm

Albergo del Senato Hotel

I would suggest the Albergo del Senato. directly across from the Pantheon. It is convenient to most attractions and near many restaurants.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by ssanto8403
I would suggest the Albergo del Senato. directly across from the Pantheon. It is convenient to most attractions and near many restaurants.
I agree, great hotel. Very pricey though, which is why I stay down the street at Albergo Cesari. But, if you are on a really special occasion and can get the view out to the Piazza Rotondo looking at the Pantheon, Albergo Senato is one of the best choices in Rome.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:21 pm

Thanks for the replies Mates.

I'd like to stay near the historic centre , and its important the hotel will be easily accesible from Termini say by a short taxi ride.

A big buffet breakfast would be nice too.

As I expect to be there in December the weather is likely to be poor so I'd dining & shopping options to be nearby.
I've looked at two Novotels but both seem to be situated way out from any attractions.

Cheers
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:38 pm

Termini to Pantheon is a little over a mile and a half, a 10 minute cab ride.

The winters are not so bad in Rome.

Novotels are in the middle of nowhere. You'd have to take a train back and forth to the center. It would be a ruined trip.

If you are not going too close to Christmas you should find very nice hotel rates in December close in. Don't count on a big buffet breakfast. Some places have them, some places don't. Italians don't eat breakfast, they just down a coffee and a pastry. If it's a large hotel catering to Germans, British and Americans then they will have a buffett, but don't count on it too much, because it's not an italian tradition.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:53 am
JBD

Hi

Centrally located

Gracia
I'm guessing you'll be a new visitor to Rome. If so, you may be in for sticker shock as the hotel prices can be very steep.

It would be helpful to those making suggestions if they knew what your price range was.

Regarding suggestions, I agree with the others that basing yourself around the Pantheon would be ideal. You'll literally be in the center and will be able to walk to most sites.

The metro is only comprised of 2 crisscrossing lines and might be useful if you're going from the Vatican to the Colosseum, but based near the Pantheon your nearest metro stop will require a walk.

If you're concerned about inclement weather, there are also some very convenient tram lines and bus lines of course. If you were a little south of the Pantheon area you'd have quick access to the trams/buses at Largo Argentina.

Regarding your requirement for a modern room, that will eliminate a good deal of choices, if by modern you mean something akin to the look and size of an American Westin/Hilton/Marriott.

The big buffet breakfast is something you'll most likely have to forego, unless your budget allows for it. (Most of the large luxury properties like the Westin Excelsior, St. Regis Grand, Hotel de la Minerva, Marriot Grand Flora, Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria, etc, will have "big buffet breakfasts" and you can book a room that includes it, or buy it there, in the neighborhood of €45 per person. Or what many here do is book on points and use their status to get the breakfast perk).

Also, when you say 4* star rating and above, do you mean places that have gotten 4* reviews and above? Or are you using the rating system in the Italian sense?

For instance, the Albergo del Senato is a fabulously reviewed hotel, and probably cost prohibitive to a lot of people, but it's classified as a 3* hotel.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Perche
...Novotels are in the middle of nowhere. You'd have to take a train back and forth to the center. It would be a ruined trip...
Well, I always go to the Novotel Corso Trieste (which is actually some 500m from the Corso Trieste). It's around 10 min. walk from the Metro Station, nice small and quiet hotel, and due to the neighborhood of sentimental value to me (and obviously to nobody else here ). The quartiere africano is a 15 min. walk away, with good shopping possibilities, several mid-priced restaurants in the area, anything but the middle of nowhere (though, yes, far away from the Centro storico).

The Novotel Piazza Bologna is very close to the Tiburtina station (10 min. walk; very convenient if you take the train) and one minute away from the next metro station.

Now, with the -40% off special for Accor A|Club members, I found the former for 59 Euro in Nov/Dec and the latter for 69 Euro!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by JBD
I'm guessing you'll be a new visitor to Rome. If so, you may be in for sticker shock as the hotel prices can be very steep.

It would be helpful to those making suggestions if they knew what your price range was.

The metro is only comprised of 2 crisscrossing lines and might be useful if you're going from the Vatican to the Colosseum, but based near the Pantheon your nearest metro stop will require a walk.

If you're concerned about inclement weather, there are also some very convenient tram lines and bus lines of course. If you were a little south of the Pantheon area you'd have quick access to the trams/buses at Largo Argentina.

Regarding your requirement for a modern room, that will eliminate a good deal of choices, if by modern you mean something akin to the look and size of an American Westin/Hilton/Marriott.

The big buffet breakfast is something you'll most likely have to forego, unless your budget allows for it. (Most of the large luxury properties like the Westin Excelsior, St. Regis Grand, Hotel de la Minerva, Marriot Grand Flora, Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria, etc, will have "big buffet breakfasts" and you can book a room that includes it, or buy it there, in the neighborhood of €45 per person. Or what many here do is book on points and use their status to get the breakfast perk).

Also, when you say 4* star rating and above, do you mean places that have gotten 4* reviews and above? Or are you using the rating system in the Italian sense?

For instance, the Albergo del Senato is a fabulously reviewed hotel, and probably cost prohibitive to a lot of people, but it's classified as a 3* hotel.
Good points all. However, in December as long as it is not near Christmas, the rooms in Rome can be quite reasonable. I'm seeing Albergo Cesare for 77 euros. Albergo Senato is still not cheap, but cheaper than usual at 160 euros.

They've tried to improve the subway system. A third line has been under construction forever. As they extend the tunnel they keep running into more ancient ruins, which by law, requires them to stop and excavate. So I find them of limited utility to only go to a few specific places such as the Vatican, but, I generally walk everywhere, including to there.

The December weather is usually in the 50's F during the day, high 30's at night. Not too bad.

The price for a big breakfast, if it doesn't come with the hotel, is exorbitant because only tourists will want it, and they go for the gouge. Italians skip breakfast, having eaten dinner much later than in the US, so they're not that hungry when they wake up, and they save their appetite for a great lunch. Many hotels will offer something, like a factory made croissant wrapped in cellophane like you'd get from a vending machine, a little jam, maybe yogurt. It's not a good idea to count on a fancy breakfast at most hotels, although yes, the luxury ones will have it.

You make an important point about the Italian hotel star system. It is different from other countries. It's a government scaling system based entirely on amenities and structural features. It's a checklist. You get points for the distance from the lobby to the rooms, whether or not there is an elevator, 24 hour reception, and so on. It's only tangentially related to how luxurious it is. Some great hotels in old buildings can't have an elevator, so they lose a star. You really can't depend too much on it.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 6, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
Well, I always go to the Novotel Corso Trieste (which is actually some 500m from the Corso Trieste). It's around 10 min. walk from the Metro Station, nice small and quiet hotel, and due to the neighborhood of sentimental value to me (and obviously to nobody else here ). The quartiere africano is a 15 min. walk away, with good shopping possibilities, several mid-priced restaurants in the area, anything but the middle of nowhere (though, yes, far away from the Centro storico).

The Novotel Piazza Bologna is very close to the Tiburtina station (10 min. walk; very convenient if you take the train) and one minute away from the next metro station.

Now, with the -40% off special for Accor A|Club members, I found the former for 59 Euro in Nov/Dec and the latter for 69 Euro!
That's handy info. When I checked for Novotels it only showed one in La Rustica and another in Pacifico or something like that. The Piazza Bologna one looks very convenient at least transportation-wise. How are the rooms & the breakfast?
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by JBD

Regarding suggestions, I agree with the others that basing yourself around the Pantheon would be ideal. You'll literally be in the center and will be able to walk to most sites.

Thanks for detailed reply.

I've been to Rome before but always happy to re-explore it.

Budget is up to 150eur/night but I'm sure there are great options for around half of that.

I've stayed at the Milton a few years and breakfast selection was massive and it was buffet style, but in my view the rooms were a bit outdated & tired.

So basically I'm after a business hotel, located near the train/metro line for easy access to/from FCO and the city centre, modern rooms & a decent brekkie (does need to have a mega sized buffet, just a nice variety of Italian pastries, jams, fruit salads etc.)

Cheers
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:20 pm

That's handy info. When I checked for Novotels it only showed one in La Rustica and another in Pacifico or something like that. The Piazza Bologna one looks very convenient at least transportation-wise. How are the rooms & the breakfast?
Ooooops, and apologies for that! They're both Mercure, not Novotel. As for the rooms, I always get an upgrade (I'm Platinum with A|Club), and it is very good. Breakfast is, well, better than the classic Roman hotel breakfast, but certainly not at the same level as that at some other hotels I've been to (e.g. Sofitel at ATH). Mind you, I'm not a big breakfast eater and I'm trying to loose weight. By the way, the Mercure at EUR has great rooms and better breakfast, and it is at a great location if you have a rental car that you have to return at FCO (15 minutes away). It is often cheap and can also often be extremely expensive, but I've not been able to see a pattern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.