Amalfi Coast 'what to do' ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Worth a read: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...rated-gem.html
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
And earmuffs on please to the Northerners, but IMHO (and I'm first generation, family came from Genova in the late 60's) the best food is in the South.
I always put it this way to my foreign friends: "All things and stereotypes Italy is known for - positive and negative - come from the South, except the fashion."
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Interesting article in the Italian version of the Huffington Post today about why authentic places in the South are the best parts of Italy. The article has some of the most stunning pictures of Italy you will find.

http://www.huffingtonpost.it/2015/10..._hp_ref=viaggi

Titled, "33 motivi per i quali il Sud Italia rovinerà per sempre la tua vita: scritto per BuzzFeed da un meridionale doc." Or, "33 reasons why Southern Italy will ruin your life for ever, written for Buzz feed by a true Southerner."

I tracked down the english translation below. These pictures show the Italy of peoples dreams, not the tourist towns.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ltondo/33-re...ife#.nt7GqYyw7
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
I reckon after this trip, I have to go back to experience Sicily as well
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jubbing
I reckon after this trip, I have to go back to experience Sicily as well
Anywhere outside of the tourist hub, and you'll get to see Italy. Sorrento, I think is even more popular with people from Great Britain, because that is the accent I hear there. Even the grocery stores look like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...+Google+Search

Even the grocery store signs are in english! Anyone who thinks they are experiencing Italy while staying in Sorrento is kidding themselves, just like people who go to Venice and stay near Piazza San Marco.

There is real Italy, and theme park Italy. Sorrento is part of theme park Italy, a fabric constructed for tourists. I think the Huff Post Italian story showed more of what the real Italy is like, for someone who wants to experience that, or to more or less get in touch with how their grandparents and great grandparents lived their lives if they are descendants, or or for someone to experience what it means to be Italian or to live in Italy.

Last edited by Perche; Oct 25, 2015 at 9:51 am
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:20 am

#22 is something pretty unique. That's Alberobello, in Puglia. The buildings are called trulli. Anyway, not pictured is the food there. I'm only familiar with it from Puglia and it may be unique there, but there's a type of bread (hard to describe) called la puccia. It's basically a round of dough rolled thin and cooked quickly in a very hot oven. It puffs up, it's cut in half and filled with something good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.