Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Got another traffic ticket from Italy! After 2 years! Help!

Got another traffic ticket from Italy! After 2 years! Help!

Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
To date I still haven't heard from anyone other than Hertz about this. And the last time I was in Italy was 2012.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by IvanCU
To date I still haven't heard from anyone other than Hertz about this. And the last time I was in Italy was 2012.
Did Hertz Italy have your full correct address? They have at times abbreviated my address, for the sake of expediency. If they abbreviated your address when they rented to you, it is possible they gave an abbreviated address to the government, who then mailed there and the mail was undelivered. In that case, you have outstanding unpaid tickets, which will be a problem when you return there. Or it could be that the government mishandled the process and decided to drop the case. You never know.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PP (1MM), Admirals Club, HH Diamond
That's part of it; Hertz sent everything to me with OK listed as the state instead of WA. But the zipcode is correct, so what they sent did get to me.

Wonder if there is someone I can hire (that wouldn't cost a lot) to somehow check into this without bringing the issue to the surface?

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Did Hertz Italy have your full correct address? They have at times abbreviated my address, for the sake of expediency. If they abbreviated your address when they rented to you, it is possible they gave an abbreviated address to the government, who then mailed there and the mail was undelivered. In that case, you have outstanding unpaid tickets, which will be a problem when you return there. Or it could be that the government mishandled the process and decided to drop the case. You never know.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by IvanCU
That's part of it; Hertz sent everything to me with OK listed as the state instead of WA. But the zipcode is correct, so what they sent did get to me.

Wonder if there is someone I can hire (that wouldn't cost a lot) to somehow check into this without bringing the issue to the surface?
Two questions:

1. Do you want to go back to Italy? If yes, move on to question 2

2. How much is the ticket? Find out.

If you want to go back, and the ticket is not horrendously expensive, my lawyer would give me the following advice: Pay the ticket and be done with it.

Just a cost of doing business. I think I have saved 1000's of hours driving over my lifetime thanks to speeding. So what if I have been taxed a few hundred dollars for it?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by flieder
Hello,

I hope someone can help me here. We got a traffic ticket in July 2014 from a trip to Italy a year prior to that. As soon as we got the ticket, we paid the ticket plus the late fees. And now, after one year later, we just received another letter saying that we owe 221 Euros because we did not provide drivers personal data and license information (as I understand from the letter). I just re-read the first letter we received in 2014, and it says the following "You are advised to complete the attached reply form (point D) and send it to the following address, if you do not pay this financial penalty: Municipal Police Department...."
Am I incorrect in understanding that I was supposed to send the form if I din't want to pay the penalty?
Since we paid the balance we did not sent the form.

I find this really ridiculous way of getting more money from tourists. Has anyone had same issue with Italian police? I don't want to pay this fee. Should I fill the letter and send it to the email address provided? Would that change anything?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks.
I would like to know what you did about this in the end? We apparently received a fine in May 2016, which we then received 6 months later. I paid the fine, today 31/07/20 I receive a letter claiming that I did not pay explaining that they were now going to take legal proceedings with a total of Ł386.75. What on earth. This feels luke an endless trap of money!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.