Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:33 am

I've been to Rome so many times, and except for the 70s, I've always taken the train, or taxi or my own car/rental/taxi to get to FCO. What always scared me with the idea of the bus was the time it would take from entering Rome proper till Termini and then reaching my end point. Since a few years my favourite hotel is in the Triestino, and the Metropolitana now goes all the way from Piramide to the Annibaliano, just 150 metres away from the hotel. So, thank you "coloncapitalDexclamationpoint" (only way to write your "name" without it becoming an emoticon ) for the idea which never occurred to me, I'll use this way of getting to Rome on my next trip.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 3:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by KLouis
So, thank you "coloncapitalDexclamationpoint" (only way to write your "name" without it becoming an emoticon ) for the idea which never occurred to me, I'll use this way of getting to Rome on my next trip.
My username is meant to be the emoticon and I added the ! because FT wanted 3 characters. Actually when I signed up I was surprised that it was accepted.

Anyway it goes to show that there's always something to learn about a city even if you know it well. I've also discovered things I wouldn't have known about the places I live in/go to frequently on FT.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by Marambio
Rome Shuttle Limousine, also recommended here, charges 50 euros and they have large vans that can accommodate up to 6 people + their luggage.
I got a quote from Rome Shuttle Limousine. It looks like now they charge 60 euros.
I just need to decide 1) reserve Rome Shuttle Limousine or 2) reserve a taxi service through Rome-accomodation.net where I booked my accomodation at 64 euros.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:10 am

...If you're arriving at FCO, step out and get a taxi. If you are leavind from FCO ask at the hotel reception to call for a taxi. Easier and cheaper...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
...If you're arriving at FCO, step out and get a taxi. If you are leavind from FCO ask at the hotel reception to call for a taxi. Easier and cheaper...
Two adults and two kids with at least three bags. I do not think we can fit into a regular sedan taxi.

Is it easy to get a begger taxi (at least mid-SUV size or mini van size taxi) from FCO taxi stop?

Thanks,

Last edited by poohhead80; Apr 18, 2019 at 11:51 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:11 am

Well, there ara always a few Fiat Multipla waiting there (which certainly accommodate 4 people plus luggage), but I don't know whether they'll "allow" you to choose any but the first cab on the queue...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, there ara always a few Fiat Multipla waiting there (which certainly accommodate 4 people plus luggage), but I don't know whether they'll "allow" you to choose any but the first cab on the queue...
I definitely have seen - and once experienced - the 'line guy" (sorry, can't think of the right word - long night, not enough sleep ), adjusting by either sending the larger party to a van down the line or having the party wait until the van comes to the front. Plenty of vans at FCO, because of course, parties with luggage too large for a sedan are common at FCO.
However, when I came with a family group of 6 carrying luggage for a three week trip, I prebooked a transfer with RomeCabs. Really excellent service. Recommended.
http://www.romecabs.com/​
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:07 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by poohhead80
I got a quote from Rome Shuttle Limousine. It looks like now they charge 60 euros.
I just need to decide 1) reserve Rome Shuttle Limousine or 2) reserve a taxi service through Rome-accomodation.net where I booked my accomodation at 64 euros.
[Thanks to our stellar Mod your post and its replies are now in the relevant thread].

They haven't raised the €50 rate, but it's only for parties up to 3 people. So you were given the quote for 4 pax. RomeCabs similarily quotes €50 for up to 3 people. (I've just edited our wiki to reflect this distinction).

Whether to hire a car service or use a taxi has been much debated here. And the issue of booking your own car service vs having your hotel/rental arrange for it has also been discussed, with some feeling it's well worth the extra cost to have your lodging take care of it, since they then will have "ownership" of getting you to the right place. But FCO taxis are certainly used to parties of 4. See the official 060608 site linked in the wiki above for reference, it states the following for taxi fares (I've bolded the info relevant to your trip).:
TAXI
At the Terminal 1, 2 and 3 exits of Rome Fiumicino Airport, a taxi service for the city of Rome is available.
The fares are:
•from- to Fiumicino Airport- Ostiense Station 45 euro
•from- to Fiumicino Airport-Aurelian Walls 48 euro
•from- to Fiumicino Airport- Tiburtina Station 55 euro
•from- to Fiumicino Airport-Civitavecchia Harbor 120 euro
•from- to Fiumicino Airport-Magliana Castle 30 euro
•from- to Fiumicino Airport- New Rome Fair 25 euro
•from- to Fiumicino Airport-Ciampino Airport 50 euroAll the above fares are fixed by the municipality responsible and are subject to change without notice.To check please visit https://romamobilita.it/en
The cost of the service includes baggage, maximum of four passengers.
Passengers are advised to check the town the taxi is from (Rome or Fiumicino) before boarding given that the tariffs applied by taxis from Fiumicino are more expensive than those shown in the table. Taxis authorized by Municipality of Rome and the Municipality of Fiumicino are white with a “TAXI” sign on the roof and a licence number on the doors, on the back and inside the vehicle.
PLEASE NOTE: any other vehicle at the airport exit could be driven by persons not in possession of a valid taxi or car hire permit and the tariff requested may be higher, or in any case different from that foreseen by the Municipality of Rome.Complaints must be be sent to Roma Capitale, Dipartimento Mobilitŕ e Trasporti - Commissione di Garanzia, Via Capitan Bavastro n° 94, 00154 Roma.
obscure2k, Joanna2360 and KLouis like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Radio Taxi Fee a Fiumicino o No?

I would say that about every third time I take a taxi from my hotel to FCO, I get a driver who insists upon an additional fee -- typically quoted as a €7 "radio taxi" fee -- simply because the hotel called the cab to the hotel. Sometimes I win this battle; sometimes I don't. But there's this lingering doubt in my head as to who is right. Is the fee from my hotel to FCO €48 or not? Do supplements apply to what is said to be a flat fee?

Originally Posted by the 060608 Roma turismo site
The travel time from Fiumicino to Rome (within the Aurelian Walls) is about 40-50 minutes, with a flat rate (per car) of € 48.00, supplements included.
Bolding mine.

Sometimes I just don't feel like fighting this because I know that my employer will reimburse me. But I just don't feel that I should have to argue about it ... ever. What say y'all? I mean, it is confusing, and on some level I feel that I almost can't blame taxi drivers, particularly newer ones, for being confused, too.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:30 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by iapetus
I would say that about every third time I take a taxi from my hotel to FCO, I get a driver who insists upon an additional fee -- typically quoted as a €7 "radio taxi" fee -- simply because the hotel called the cab to the hotel. Sometimes I win this battle; sometimes I don't. But there's this lingering doubt in my head as to who is right. Is the fee from my hotel to FCO €48 or not? Do supplements apply to what is said to be a flat fee?....
My understanding is that "supplements included" should mean just that: supplements are included.

I can't seem to make my links work in English, but here is the link to Rome Mobilita in Italian where you'll see under the "Tariffe taxi da e per gli aeroporti" that the fixed rate is "compresi i supplementi", as iapetus quotes above.

Further, the rate for calling a taxi, which to my understanding should not apply to the fixed FCO rate, is stated to be €3.50, not €7. Below is a cut and paste from the second section of the page I linked above. (I added bolding and red color to the relevant line).

iapetus, your post and others I read here, make me happy to continue using my car service for €50.

Tariffe taxi a Roma

La tariffa massima del Servizio taxi č una tariffa tassametrica unica progressiva valida in tutto il territorio comunale, a base multipla in funzione del chilometraggio e del tempo di espletamento del singolo servizio. Sono inoltre fissate tariffe predeterminate per i collegamenti da/per gli aeroporti. I titolari di licenza taxi sono obbligati al rilascio di ricevute.

Tariffa progressiva (importi singoli scatti € 0,10)

Deliberazioni della Giunta Capitolina n. 151 DEL 23.05.2012

QUOTA FISSA

• quota fissa di partenza nei giorni feriali (dalle ore 6:00 alle ore 22:00) € 3,00
  • quota fissa di partenza nei giorni festivi (dalle ore 6:00 alle ore 22:00) € 4,50
  • quota fissa di partenza notturna (dalle ore 22:00 alle ore 6:00) € 6,50

TARIFFA ORARIA

• Scatto a tempo applicabile per velocitŕ inferiore a 20 km/h; 27,00 €/h

TARIFFA TASSAMETRICA UNICA PROGRESSIVA

• T1: per velocitŕ maggiore di 20 km/h 1,10 €/km (finoa € 11,00)
  • T2: per velocitŕ maggiore di 20 km/h 1,30 €/km (fino a € 13,00)
  • T3: per velocitŕ maggiore di 20 km/h 1,60 €/km (oltre i € 13,00)
La prima progressione tassametrica (T1-T2) si determina quando al valore fisso iniziale indicato dal tassametro si cumulano ulteriori € 11,00; da questo momento scatta la seconda progressione tariffaria T2 fino al cumulo di ulteriori € 13,00; da tale momento scatta la terza progressione tariffaria T3 sino al termine del servizio.

TARIFFE AGEVOLATE

Č fissato uno sconto del 10% sull’importo indicato dal tassametro nei seguenti casi:
  • corse dirette verso gli ospedali pubblici romani
  • per le donne sole che usufruiscono del servizio nelle ore notturne (ore 22.00 - 6.00)
  • per i giovani in uscita dalle discoteche il venerdě e il sabato previa idonea convenzione con i gestori di pubblici locali

SUPPLEMENTI

• il primo bagaglio č gratuito; per ogni successivo bagaglio con dimensioni superiori a cm 35x25x50: € 1,00
  • dal quinto passeggero in poi, per vetture con capienza superiore a n. 4 passeggeri: € 1,00
  • il diritto fisso di chiamata da radiotaxi č pari a € 3,50
Le corse aventi origine all’interno del Grande Raccordo Anulare e con destinazione Aeroporto di Fiumicino, e viceversa, non potranno superare l’importo di € 70,00. L’importo del servizio sarŕ quello indicato dal tassametro a fine corsa. A tale importo si aggiungono, ove presenti, supplementi: bagagli in eccesso, diritto fisso di chiamata radio taxi, eventuali passeggeri dal quinto in poi. Tali eventuali supplementi verranno quindi sommati all’importo della corsa individuato dal tassametro.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by JBD
My understanding is that "supplements included" should mean just that: supplements are included.
Thanks. So I'm not (that) crazy. I appreciate the validation.

Originally Posted by JBD
I can't seem to make my links work in English, but here is the link to Rome Mobilita in Italian where you'll see under the "Tariffe taxi da e per gli aeroporti" that the fixed rate is "compresi i supplementi", as iapetus quotes above.
I was quoting from the English-language version of the same webpage. I was actually looking for (and would have preferred) that site in Italian. (So, thanks again! ^ )

Originally Posted by JBD
iapetus, your post and others I read here, make me happy to continue using my car service for €50.
Honestly, it's typically not an issue. The taxi cabs come quickly. Sometimes I've had pleasant conversations on the way to FCO. And I usually don't have a problem. But maybe I should bookmark the link above on my phone and show it to the driver when this comes up. Or just confirm it ahead of time. I could always threaten to report them, but who wants to go there? This is more of an annoyance than anything else.

That said, maybe you're right. I have a friend who keeps offering me to connect her with her car service. Perhaps I should take her up on it one of these days.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I'll add a current datapoint for Rome Shuttle Limousine noted in the wiki. We had a generally good experience with them. The website can be a bit finicky so if you do not get an automated response to your booking request asking you to 'Accept' or 'Reject' the booking, it means the web form you filled has likely not made it to the company's office. As expected, we paid 50 Euros into Rome (Mercedes minivan) and 45 Euros back (Mercedes E sedan). Drivers were on time and professional. Even though we had requested to pay via credit card, the drivers strongly preferred a cash payment, which was no issue for us but a heads up to any FTers that may be future customers?

Thanks to those who contributed to the wiki on this. ^
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I'll just add that Rome Shuttle Limousine is still charging 50 Euros for up to 3 passengers. It seems like you were quoted 60 Euros for your family of four.

[QUOTE = poohhead80; 31013238] I got a quote from Rome Shuttle Limousine. It looks like now they charge 60 euros.
I just need to decide 1) reserve Rome Shuttle Limousine or 2) reserve to taxi service through Rome-accomodation.net where I booked my accommodation at 64 euros. [/ QUOTE]
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:55 am

Rome Airport Transport has lots of reccomendations at Trip Advisor. Rome Airport Transport is a wonderful company. I use them all the time. They are always on time waiting with a sign that has our name on it. They take you directly to your hotel without any fuss.
polyesther likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 2:58 pm

My ET flight is scheduled to land at FCO a 4:30 am on a Sunday and looking for the best option to get into town. We'll be flying in J class and probably have checked luggage to pick up. Assuming the flight is on time and we are ready to leave the airport between 5 - 6 am, will there be Ubers available? Cabs? I think the first express train to Termini is just after 6 am, so will immigration and customs take so long that I might as well wait for the first train? Some of the hotels I'm looking at booking also have airport transfers available.

Last edited by EmpressRouge; Aug 17, 2019 at 11:02 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.