Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:10 am
JBD

Originally Posted by Grace B
Can anyone advise if the newsagent in the arrivals area of T1 is still there, for the purchase of Cotral bus tickets?.

Last time I was at FCO, a few months ago, the newsagent's shop was all shut up, and I had no idea if there was anywhere else to purchase Cotral tickets at the airport. I understand that without a ticket it will cost EUR 7 paying cash to the driver (if he/she will accept it), which is considerably more than the ticket cost.

Thanks for any info.
In T3 arrivals there's a WHSmith that I believe sells tickets. Is this what you were referring to KLouis?

Here's the link (if it works!) to ADR's T3 Arrivals Map showing the store
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by JBD
...[snip]...Is this what you were referring to KLouis?
Yes, this is where I always bought my newspaper when arriving in Rome. But, actually, I haven't been to FCO since September, so parhaps there's a change since then. I also remember a Cotral booth further "west". Though a bit more far away, the newsstand upstairs at the station may also sell tickets.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, this is where I always bought my newspaper when arriving in Rome. But, actually, I haven't been to FCO since September, so parhaps there's a change since then. I also remember a Cotral booth further "west". Though a bit more far away, the newsstand upstairs at the station may also sell tickets.
OK thanks. I'll have a look at Smiths in T3 then (arriving BA). If no go, I'll proceed on to T1, and if no go there, the station. Hopefully one of these establishments will have tickets.

BTW, I'm actually going to Lido di Ostia (where I usually stay when in the Rome area), and there isn't any other reasonably priced or quick option than the Cotral bus (that I'm aware of).

Last edited by Grace B; Mar 10, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
For those who may be interested, I checked out the WH Smiths store, and was told by the two young guys at the counter that they didn't sell bus tickets of any sort, and I should go to the bus station. Unfortunately that was gratuitous advice.

Going back to the Cotral bus stop, I met up with a family who told me where I could purchase Cotral bus tickets. This was in Terminal 1, at the coffee shop (who would have thought it?). The newsagents in T1 is still closed (went out of business?).

Just made the bus to Ostia, after all that stuffing around. So if anyone needs to get a Cotral bus from FCO, that's the place to get a ticket.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
...Going back to the Cotral bus stop, I met up with a family who told me where I could purchase Cotral bus tickets. This was in Terminal 1, at the coffee shop (who would have thought it?). The newsagents in T1 is still closed (went out of business?)...
Apologies, I should have thought about that! In the city you can buy ATAC tickets at several tobaco stores, edicole and bars. Obviously not all of them, but if there's one close to an bus stop there are high chances they will sell tickets. No reason what's true for ATAC should not be true for Cotral too. Sorry!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Has anyone used this app for public transportation in Rome? The only one App that brings you everywhere, with any vehicle

Should I be able to use it for trains from FCO to Trastevere (Trenitalia) and ATAC buses/trams instead of buying individual tickets?

Also, when getting the train to Trastevere, is it clear from the signage which train to take (considering that isn't the final destination on any of the lines)?

Finally, is there an app (like Moovit) which indicates real-time arrival of the next bus/tram?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:20 am

I've neer used the app, so I can't help you there. As for the train, take the slow (cheap) train (i.e. NOT the Leonardo Express) and get off at Trastevere. It leaves every 15 (or is it 20?) minutes. By the way, you can use the same ticket to continue on ATAC bus or tram or metro.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLouis
I've neer used the app, so I can't help you there. As for the train, take the slow (cheap) train (i.e. NOT the Leonardo Express) and get off at Trastevere. It leaves every 15 (or is it 20?) minutes. By the way, you can use the same ticket to continue on ATAC bus or tram or metro.
How does using the same ticket work? I'll be transferring from train to tram. Could be buying through the app if I can figure out - otherwise will get paper tickets. If I do paper, I just hold onto the ticket and show it to an inspector if asked, or do I need to validate the ticket somehow on the tram? (Is it the standard 100 minute transfer?)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:33 pm

The FL1 train to Trastevere leaves FCO at 12, 27, 42, and 57 past the hour on weekdays, 27 and 57 on Sundays and holidays.

KLouis, can you point to documentation of the same ticket being valid on ATAC? That wasn't the case in the past.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rove312
The FL1 train to Trastevere leaves FCO at 12, 27, 42, and 57 past the hour on weekdays, 27 and 57 on Sundays and holidays.

KLouis, can you point to documentation of the same ticket being valid on ATAC? That wasn't the case in the past.
Thanks - from what I recall last time, there are only 2 platforms. Is that the case? Do I only want the FL1, and if so, does it always leave from the same platform?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:17 pm

It looks like the FL1 routinely leaves from track 1, and can show a final destination of Roma Tiburtina, Fara Sabina, or Orte. The usual track assignments (subject to change) can be searched at https://prm.rfi.it/qo_prm/ . Under "Seleziona l'ora", select your hour of depature, and uner "Indica la stazione", start filling in the station name Fiumicino Aeroporto, You can see the track number under Binario Programmato, or click "Scarica il formato PDF..." to get a PDF version of the poster at the station listing the whole day's departures.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rove312
It looks like the FL1 routinely leaves from track 1, and can show a final destination of Roma Tiburtina, Fara Sabina, or Orte. The usual track assignments (subject to change) can be searched at https://prm.rfi.it/qo_prm/ . Under "Seleziona l'ora", select your hour of depature, and uner "Indica la stazione", start filling in the station name Fiumicino Aeroporto, You can see the track number under Binario Programmato, or click "Scarica il formato PDF..." to get a PDF version of the poster at the station listing the whole day's departures.
Thanks - left from track 1. Figured out the site you linked as well.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
For info as of October 2018 the Fixed taxi fare from the airport is now 60 Euros. (Sqpr taxi with 4 pax).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:07 am

A 20% hike, amazing! I guess I'll now start using more often these black limos that used to charge 35-45 € until recently...
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by tinkicker
For info as of October 2018 the Fixed taxi fare from the airport is now 60 Euros. (Sqpr taxi with 4 pax).
Is there documentation of that? I see 48 at the city mobility site and the airport site Fiumicino - Aeroporti di Roma .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.