Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:07 pm

Need to get to FCO late at night for a 3:50 am flight

Hello!

I need some help on the best way to get to the airport for a 3:50 am flight. I know the Express train does not run after midnight. We will right next to the Termini station. What would be the best option to get to the airport?

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:55 pm

Taxi!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Taxi!

It's a fixed price, it is not expensive, and you will have Roman taxi drivers, perhaps the most honest taxi drivers in the world. It costs 48 euros. Give them 50. That's it. Depending on where you are starting from, figure 45 minutes.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
...Depending on where you are starting from, figure 45 minutes.
Given how Roman drive between 10 pm and 6 am, chances are it will be much shorter than that.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:15 am

Does anyone know the taxi price to go from FCO to CIA? Thanks!

Editing: I ended up using welcomepickups which seemed to have a decent price. $65 from FCO to CIA and then $50 from CIA to downtown. Supposedly they throw in a water bottle for all passengers and a map as well.

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Nov 13, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
Does anyone know the taxi price to go from FCO to CIA? Thanks!

Editing: I ended up using welcomepickups which seemed to have a decent price. $65 from FCO to CIA and then $50 from CIA to downtown. Supposedly they throw in a water bottle for all passengers and a map as well.
That’s a serious rip-off, both legs. You should have taken a taxi.
That’s a known scam company based out of the South San Francisco area. It has nothing to do with Italy. Look up the area code of their number, 855, and see if it exists anywhere in the world. It doesn’t. It’s a ghost company. If you get in a car crash on the way from the airport or if your driver does something bad, good luck with finding them. It’s a company that doesn’t exist. Just two guys in an apartment somewhere, with an untraceable area code.

Last edited by Perche; Nov 13, 2017 at 5:59 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:02 pm

That’s a serious rip-off, both legs. You should have taken a taxi.
That’s a know scam company based out of the South San Francisco area. It has nothing to do with Italy. Look up the area code of their number, 855, and see if it exists anywhere in the world. It doesn’t. It’s a ghost company. If you get I a car crash on the way from the airport, or if your driver does something bad, good luck with finding them. It’s a company that doesn’t exist. Just two guys in an apartment somewhere, with an untraceable area code.
How is it a ripoff? It's for 4 people and when I looked online the taxi fare to go FCO to downtown was 48 euro, so 65 to go to CIA sounded reasonable. Fair points about the other issues I guess, but they had good reviews.

https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/welcome

It says that they're headquartered in Athens.

https://www.welcomepickups.com/about/
Old Nov 13, 2017, 4:46 pm

How is it a ripoff? It's for 4 people and when I looked online the taxi fare to go FCO to downtown was 48 euro, so 65 to go to CIA sounded reasonable...[snip]...
Why it's a ripoff (prices based on official taxi prices on official -white- taxis):

* From FCO to anywhere in Rome within the GRA the price should not be higher than 70€. Thus FCO-CIA-City as a single ride (usage of one cab) should definitely not be 115€!

* Alternatively, using two separate rides, FCO-CIA is 50€ and (second taxi) CIA-city is 30 €, still 35 € cheaper.

Scroll down for the text in several languages (English is immediately following Italian). By the way, the prices quoted are for one to four passengers in a single car.

Last edited by KLouis; Nov 13, 2017 at 4:52 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:29 pm

Fair enough. Looks like I overpaid a bit. Lesson learned.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:11 pm

Fair enough. Looks like I overpaid a bit. Lesson learned.
It's not just the money, it was just unsafe. You can't just go by an internet website. I'm sure your driver didn't have insurance either.

Taxis in Rome are cheap, quite a lot cheaper for example, than Uber, and they are heavily vetted. They don't just stare at their phone on the dashboard for GPS help. Their father probably handed the taxi down to them, and their grandfather probably handed it down to him, and they know the streets intimately.

That doesn't mean that you can't get a bad apple now and then, but gee whiz, just relying on a website called what again, Wonder Pick Up?

Your life and your vacation is worth more than that. Take an official taxi unless you really know how to navigate Rome

Last edited by Perche; Nov 13, 2017 at 6:37 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:34 pm

It's not just the money, it was just unsafe. You can't just go by an internet website. I'm sure your driver didn't have insurance either.

Taxis in Rome are cheap, quite a lot cheaper for example, than Uber, and they are heavily vetted. They don't just stare at their phone on the dashboard for GPS help. Their father probably handed the taxi down to them, and their grandfather probably handed it down to him.

That doesn't mean that you can't get a bad apple now and then, but gee whiz, just relying on a website called what again, Wonder Pick Up?

Your life and your vacation is worth more than that. Take an official taxi unless you really know how to navigate Rome
Thanks for the tip and saving us a few $. I was able to make a quick phone call and the cancellation was free. I've read that some taxis will try to rip you off though, even the "official ones". Any way to avoid that and get the rates posted above?

Last edited by TravelingNomads; Nov 13, 2017 at 6:40 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads;29057063Fair points about the other issues I guess, but they had good reviews.

[url
https://www.reviews.io/company-reviews/store/welcome[/url]

It says that they're headquartered in Athens.

https://www.welcomepickups.com/about/
Never go by reviews, especially if it is TripAdvisor. Nobody on his or her first trip to Italy knows how to rate things, because they just got there.

It doesn't matter if it says they are headquartered in Athens: Look up the area code. It doesn't even contain the country code to dial up Athens. All calls to Greece start with +30, just like all calls to Italy start with +39. And it's just not there.

The 855 code is a snake area code that is untraceable so that in case something happens you can never find them.

Italy is a modern country. Taxis, trains, all of it, works. As when traveling to NYC, SF, Chicago, Miami keep a little bit of wits about you. Relying on untraceable internet websites instead of official taxis is just foolish.

There is no reason to think that Roman taxis are any more likely to rip you off than a taxi in Chicago. And its very easy to deal with and prevent in Italy, much easier than it is in Chicago or Philadelphia.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:13 pm

Never go by reviews, especially if it is TripAdvisor. Nobody on his or her first trip to Italy knows how to rate things, because they just got there.

It doesn't matter if it says they are headquartered in Athens: Look up the area code. It doesn't even contain the country code to dial up Athens. All calls to Greece start with +30, just like all calls to Italy start with +39. And it's just not there.

The 855 code is a snake area code that is untraceable so that in case something happens you can never find them.

Italy is a modern country. Taxis, trains, all of it, works. As when traveling to NYC, SF, Chicago, Miami keep a little bit of wits about you. Relying on untraceable internet websites instead of official taxis is just foolish.

There is no reason to think that Roman taxis are any more likely to rip you off than a taxi in Chicago. And its very easy to deal with and prevent in Italy, much easier than it is in Chicago or Philadelphia.
While I appreciate the advice about Italy, I will say that as an American, I've never once been ripped off in any of the cities you just mentioned by a taxi driver and I've traveled to all of them several times if not many times. The only negative taxi experience that I can recall was actually in Memphis from a cabbie who decided to party harder than we did on a Friday night. That was 2 decades ago.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:57 pm

Transportation on Christmas Day

We are leaving Rome on Christmas Day, anyone know if taxis are still available during this day? Any surcharges? If not, what are my options to getting to FCO? thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by sxc234
We are leaving Rome on Christmas Day, anyone know if taxis are still available during this day? Any surcharges? If not, what are my options to getting to FCO? thanks.
Public transportation, meaning trains and buses, have various slow downs and stoppages. Taxis are left to the tax driver. There is no rule. You may find some, but it might be hard. I'd book a car service now. And remember, at all times, the Leonardo Express from Termini train station to the airport and back leaves about every half hour, 365 days a year, even during strikes. Ask your hotel to book a car for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.