Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:47 pm

The "slow" train that serves the Tiburtina, Prenestina, Ostiense and Transtevere stations (among many others), also leaves every 30 minutes on X'mas day. As for metro and buses, this year's schedule is not yet available, but last year they worked from 8:30 till 13:00 and from 16:30 till 21:00.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 10:09 pm

How are the reliability of the Leonardo Express? I have a 8am flight from FCO and will be staying near the Termini Station, am I cutting it too fine if I take the first train to the Airport in the morning?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:02 am

Leonardo is pretty reliable. But the first train is at 5:35 and you'll be at FCO at 6:07. Depending on where you fly to this may be a little too late for CI, security, immigration and getting to the gate or, potentially, more than enough... The chances, though, are in favour of making it.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Leonardo is pretty reliable. But the first train is at 5:35 and you'll be at FCO at 6:07. Depending on where you fly to this may be a little too late for CI, security, immigration and getting to the gate or, potentially, more than enough... The chances, though, are in favour of making it.
Thanks, to be precise my flight is at 8:20am going to Doha, it's part of the Qantas Award J RTW trip so there are severe consequence if I miss it (cancellation of all remaining sectors in J with over 25k miles yet to travel), so would you suggest I take a taxi to the Airport instead?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by glasszon
Thanks, to be precise my flight is at 8:20am going to Doha, it's part of the Qantas Award J RTW trip so there are severe consequence if I miss it (cancellation of all remaining sectors in J with over 25k miles yet to travel), so would you suggest I take a taxi to the Airport instead?
The cost of the train is €14. The cost of a taxi is €48. And the taxi gives you the benefit of being dropped off in front of the terminal, as opposed to having to make the (admittedly not-so-long) walk from the train station. If I were that concerned about making my flight, it would be worth the €34 differential to me.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by iapetus
The cost of the train is €14. The cost of a taxi is €48. And the taxi gives you the benefit of being dropped off in front of the terminal, as opposed to having to make the (admittedly not-so-long) walk from the train station. If I were that concerned about making my flight, it would be worth the €34 differential to me.
I fully, absolutely and 100% agree with the above! And it there's two of you, as is often the case with award flights the price difference will only be €20. By the way, a cab at around 5-5:30 am would take about 30 minutes from Termini to FCO, maximum!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 3:17 am

Thanks, guess taxi it is, I was hesitant because I have 4 luggage with me between the both of us, so not sure how happy they will be to taking that many luggage on the taxi.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:42 am

There's also Rome Shuttle Limousine ; if you say in the booking form how much luggage you have, they may bring a van.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by glasszon
Thanks, guess taxi it is, I was hesitant because I have 4 luggage with me between the both of us, so not sure how happy they will be to taking that many luggage on the taxi.
With 4 pc of luggage it's definitely a cab. I see you and your partner walking from your hotel to Termini and then to the platform that the Leonardo Express goes from, OMG... Then walking from the station at FCO to the CI counters, OMG... As iapetus suggested, the cab will bring you straight to the building, and you can always ask your hotel, when booking the taxi, to ask for a larger car, e.g. a Fiat Multipla or a Renault Espace or Scenic, or something like that. This should not be a problem.

The rest of my post will be sort of out-of-topic I assume that you're on vacation and not flying home from a year-long stay abroad. Why on earth do you carry so much stuff with you, needing 4 pieces of luggage? When travelling with my wife, we usually go with 1-2 pieces maximum and we manage easily. Our transfers are much easier, and we could even go cheaper such as even using LCCs with lots of restrictions. Try it out, your quality of life will improve tremendously.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
With 4 pc of luggage it's definitely a cab. I see you and your partner walking from your hotel to Termini and then to the platform that the Leonardo Express goes from, OMG... Then walking from the station at FCO to the CI counters, OMG... As iapetus suggested, the cab will bring you straight to the building, and you can always ask your hotel, when booking the taxi, to ask for a larger car, e.g. a Fiat Multipla or a Renault Espace or Scenic, or something like that. This should not be a problem.

The rest of my post will be sort of out-of-topic I assume that you're on vacation and not flying home from a year-long stay abroad. Why on earth do you carry so much stuff with you, needing 4 pieces of luggage? When travelling with my wife, we usually go with 1-2 pieces maximum and we manage easily. Our transfers are much easier, and we could even go cheaper such as even using LCCs with lots of restrictions. Try it out, your quality of life will improve tremendously.
I know what you mean, but it's too late to redo our luggage as I am flying out tomorrow, I will see whether we can pack a bit lighter for the next trip.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:21 am
JBD

Originally Posted by rove312
There's also Rome Shuttle Limousine ; if you say in the booking form how much luggage you have, they may bring a van.
I second. I've used them for many transfers and have recommended them to friends and family, and to my fellow FTers.

Administration notes: I just updated the wiki to reflect their current price of €50. And I'm using the Alert a Mod button to request this thread be made a sticky.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:19 am
JBD

Car Sharing Options From FCO

I was just looking over ADR's FCO website (Aeroporti di Roma) and saw under their "To and From Fiumicino" page: Car Sharing

Here's the link (but keep in mind that ADR often rearranges its website rendering links invalid, so if this doesn't work, start from ADR's homepage):
Car sharing - Aeroporti di Roma

Here's a cut and paste:
With Car Sharing it’s now even easier to travel from the airport to the centre of Rome and vice versa! Pick up your car from the airport and leave it in a different place at the end of the route, available for other people.

Car Sharing is an alternative but also a beneficial opportunity for sustainable passenger transport. Forty stalls dedicated to Fiat 500s by Enjoy and Smart Fortwos by Car2go are available at Fiumicino.

To benefit from the service just download the Enjoy or Car2go App and you pick up your car directly from the Short Stay car park at Terminal 1.
I for one would never use this (I'd be scared silly to drive into Rome). But I'm curious if any of you have heard of this, and have used these cars?!

Here are the links to the companies mentioned:

Enjoy

Car2Go
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:39 am
JBD

Chauffeur-driven car rental

And also new to me on the ADR site on its "To and From Fiumicino" page is: Chauffeur-driven car rental
Car rental with chauffeur - Aeroporti di Roma

Here's a cut and paste
A chauffeur-driven car rental service is available in the area in front of the airport exit, marked by the NCC sign (noleggio con conducente - rental with chauffeur). The service is provided in generally blue or grey coloured cars, for which variable, destination-based fares are charged. The service should be requested in advance.
And then it provides the name of 3 companies with linked websites. I looked at the first two trying to find pricing, but didn't see any details. However, the third company shows prices for a Mercedes E Class from €45
https://limousineuara.com/en/transfer-2/

I've never come across any of these companies before. Have any of you? Are these companies different than the car services we've discussed in the past? The way they're listed on ADR's site makes them seem more sanctioned than the ones in the wiki above.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Can anyone advise if the newsagent in the arrivals area of T1 is still there, for the purchase of Cotral bus tickets?.

Last time I was at FCO, a few months ago, the newsagent's shop was all shut up, and I had no idea if there was anywhere else to purchase Cotral tickets at the airport. I understand that without a ticket it will cost EUR 7 paying cash to the driver (if he/she will accept it), which is considerably more than the ticket cost.

Thanks for any info.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:55 pm

If, as it seems, you don't mind about the duration of the journey, you could take the Cotral bus to the Magliana and then change into the metro. This will be even cheaper than the Cotral alone!

At any rate, even if the newsagent's shop is still closed, you can walk up to T3 and buy your ticket there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.