Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Flooding in Venice

Flooding in Venice

Old Nov 25, 19, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As promised, here is my report. There is no flooding and no sign of impending agua Alta. Today was sunny, 66 degreesF and the city was beautiful and dry. Piazza San Marco was beautiful. People were sitting at tables outdoors at Florian. Surely, no guarantees that this will remain the case but our friends said that the extreme flooding was an aberration caused in part by very high winds. I would not be concerned. The weather today was warmer than Los Angeles
Buster and Forrest Bump like this.
Old Dec 1, 19, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I arrived Saturday the 30th. Low tide was 3pm, and St Marks was dry as was the walk to Rialto and all the way to Zattere.
Sunday Morning 9 am was high tide. At 11 ST Marks was under water, about 1 foot deep at the worst as far as I could see. We did a Doges palace tour and the platforms were up from the vaporetto to the entrance. No big deal. Didn't see all the way into the square. DId need the boots on the walk form the Hilton to the vaporetto stop, but water only a few inches deep at 10:30.

The major burn: We were on a cruise leaving Sunday. MSC. Got to the port and noticed hmm... wheres the ship? What are all these buses? Ship left from and returned to Trieste. So... catching flights home... a bit stressful. Seems at high tide the harbor master wont let big liners in. Seems MSC will run its last few cruises from Trieste for the rest of thse season.
Old Dec 2, 19, 6:57 pm

Thanks for the update. I've been trying to figure out if wellies are going to be needed after all, but it sounds like perhaps they are definitely worth bringing?
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Thanks for the update. I've been trying to figure out if wellies are going to be needed after all, but it sounds like perhaps they are definitely worth bringing?
I bought 2 pairs of over the shoe covers from amazon - moderately durable, not as wimpy as expected. not nearly as heavy as wellies. They are also sold EVERYWHERE for about 10-15 euro, if you dont feel like lugging them. THe ones I ordered came from china, and they were too small. thus, the wife wore "mine" and I bought an actual large form the hotel.

Search this Thread