Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Late Night Arrival Transportation - VCE to Westin

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:54 pm
jsm
Original Poster

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Late Night Arrival Transportation - VCE to Westin

Hi everyone - first time traveller to Venice. We arrive on Wednesday at 9:50pm (BA through London). What are the best options to get to our hotel - Westin Eurpoa Regina. Taxi's sound really expensive....

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
"Best" is a very subjective term.

The alilaguna water bus service runs until after midnight However, after about 9 pm they run only every hour or so. Fares are 15EU/person.

If your flight lands on time, you'll need to give yourself about 1/2 hr to go through passport control + wait for your luggage, then its about a 10 minute walk to the departure point for the boats, and then its about an hour or so (depending on which Alilaguna boat you take) to get to Piazza San Marco - and then you'll need to walk w/your luggage from the ALilaguna stop to the Westin.

An even less expensive option: take the land bus to (2EU) to Piazzale Roma, and then the vaporetto to Piazza San Marco - this will take 90+minutes

However, since you've never been to Venice - If you are traveling w/a large party (or w/lots of bags) I would *strongly* suggest you take the water taxi, which is 100EU/one way. It will take you about 25 minutes from the time you get on the boat to be dropped directly at the Westin.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:42 am

bdemaria is spot on.

While the water taxi IS expensive the walking directions for the Alilaguna to your hotel can be found here

Pull up a google map of venice with your hotel and San Marco on-screen, trace the route described, then contemplate doing it late at night, tired, and likely waiting at the airport dock for awhile for the Alilaguna.

I am not bad-mouthing Venice in any way, but it's a maze, you're a tired mouse, and your hotel is the cheese. Getting lost in Venice is part of the charm, in daylight hours when you are fresh, but not the first night when all you want to do is sleep.

If "we" means two people, with one light suitcase each and a GPS equipped smartphone, the Alilaguna may be worth considering. Otherwise, the water taxi is probably a better option.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:00 am
jsm
Original Poster

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Thanks for all the info. It is just me and my wife, (with iPhone) with a rolly bag. Looks like we have options and can decide when we get in. Thanks!!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Given the late arrival time (if on time) and unfamiliarity with Venice, a water taxi is the smart option, as Bdemaria said.

A taxi is more expensive, but you'd be taken to your hotel, or very nearby. You'd avoid potentially long waits that are likely with other options and the hassle of getting lost in central Venice with baggage in tow.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:51 am

I'm a fan of the water taxi regardless of the circumstance. Yeah, it's 100 euro, but having a private ride through the scenery is a nice part of the experience. I consider it part of the vacation, not the transportation.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:19 pm

Above, I said the Alilaguna is an option, but probably not a good option given the time you are arriving.

Between the extra travel time and walking to your hotel it will add a minimum of an hour to your trip, if the stars align, you don't have to wait for the boat to depart, and you don't get lost. It could add considerably longer.

Only you can place a Euro value on what your time and potential frustration is worth.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'm a fan of the water taxi regardless of the circumstance. Yeah, it's 100 euro, but having a private ride through the scenery is a nice part of the experience. I consider it part of the vacation, not the transportation.
This may be personal preference. In this case because of the late hour I think water taxi may be a good idea, but that's not always the case. I prefer the hour long anticipation of the Alilaguna as it drives past fascinating abandoned islands, cuts through the canals of Murano, stops at San Michelle, Madonna Del Orto, ands lets you gradually come upon the city and see it from various angles.

Riding into Venice in an enclosed speeding motor boat feels like the equivalent of taking a helicopter into the city, and I stopped doing that. All the OP has to do from the Alilaguna stop at Piazza San Marco is basically walk the equivalent of three blocks or so across San Marco to get to the Westin Regina. And that time of night is probably the time that San Marco is at its best.

There are pros and cons. I prefer to stand outside in the back of the Alilaguna and watch, almost regardless of the weather. I've lived in Venice twice and still visit for a few weeks at a time several times a year. I don't like the feeling of being "helicoptered" in on the inside of a speeding motor boat.

Depending on the age, stamina, walking capabilities of the OP and his traveling companion I wouldn't just write off the Alilaguna. It will probably be too late but they may even find a place just outside of Piazza San Marco where they can celebrate their arrival with a Prosecco before walking the 3 blocks to their hotel.

Granted, that late at night I'd consider jumping on a taxi if the person I'm traveling with is tired, but this is not a cut and dried issue.

Last edited by Perche; Jul 2, 2014 at 2:41 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
Riding into Venice in an enclosed speeding motor boat feels like the equivalent of taking a helicopter into the city,
Just curious: why wouldn't you stand up in the back of the water taxi (weather permitting)? One isn''t required to sit in the cabin.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Just curious: why wouldn't you stand up in the back of the water taxi (weather permitting)? One isn''t required to sit in the cabin.
You can stand as the motoscafi is in the canals observing speed limit, but not when they are cruising at speed from the airport. It's choppy, can get wet, and there is nothing blocking the wind from hitting you. Standing behind the large Alilaguna boat cabin the wind is blocked, it goes slower so there's less wind chill, no splashing, and there's less effect of waves, so you don't feel unsteady. But sure, once the motoscafi has slowed down there's less wind in your face, and it's fun to stand outside and take it in, you just can't do it right from the airport.

Last edited by Perche; Jul 3, 2014 at 7:14 am
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
You can stand as the motoscafi is in the canals observing speed limit, but not when they are cruising at speed from the airport. It's choppy, can get wet, and there is nothing blocking the wind from hitting you.
I'm seriously not trying to be snarky here but just to clarify: Some people may choose not to stand up for the entire taxi ride, but you "can" if you want - Ive done it twice in the past three weeks, didn't get wet, didn't deal w/too much chop & thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

last time i took a water taxi VCE-SPG, there was a 10 euro to advance booking and a 10 euro advantage to book the round trip. there was a 10 euro premium to book in the nighttime hours..

never seen spray on the aft deck, but only taken the taxi a few times(20 or so).

that is an expensive hotel you have chosen. i suggest you leave the hotel and turn west for breakfast. spy gets real money for breakfast.

every hotel we have stayed in in venice has called the taxi for us when we depart, and then tell us where to stand, and when to "get out there"
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I'm seriously not trying to be snarky here but just to clarify: Some people may choose not to stand up for the entire taxi ride, but you "can" if you want - Ive done it twice in the past three weeks, didn't get wet, didn't deal w/too much chop & thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
I agree that at that hour a water taxi is probably best. I commented because it was suggested that regardless of time or circumstances, the water taxi is the best way to get to Venice from the airport, no matter what. That, I couldn't agree with.

I've had wonderful rides in the back of the motoscafi, breezing by some fairly beautiful islands in the afternoon, with the driver slowing down. But I've come to prefer the nice slow ride on Alilaguna, riding with the locals, explaining to my traveling partners what they are seeing, and getting into the slower pace of Venice as soon as I arrive.

For sure, the water taxi is the best choice for some. I just don't think people should feel that they are missing out on something if they take the Alilaguna, as if it is a second class way to get to Venice. I prefer it, although at 11PM and jet lagged if there was a half hour wait for the next one, I'd probably hop on the water taxi.

I think it's a personal choice, with no right or wrong answer. The OP suggested that he was sitting on the fence, weighing the pros and cons, and I thought he should just know that bus to Piazzale Roma then vaporetto would be insane, but I think either water taxi or Alilaguna is reasonable.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have only been on alagiluna 4 times. they were large boats, we sat on the bottom(bilge,), small windows, could not see out, and no back porch.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
i have only been on alagiluna 4 times. they were large boats, we sat on the bottom(bilge,), small windows, could not see out, and no back porch.
True, a few have no back porch. And if getting there 45 minutes later is not a problem, saving 70-80 E can buy you a heck of a dinner at Alle Testiere, ll Moro, or Ponte Sconta.

Last edited by Perche; Jul 5, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.