Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where should we go?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Where should we go?

We just booked flights into Rome for 10 days the first 2 weeks of August 2014. We want to spend 4 days in Rome but unsure of where to spend the rest of our time. My husband and I will be traveling with our 2 girls (9/7yo), my parents and my husband's mother. We would like to find somewhere to relax but would allow for day trips and other sightseeing-type activities. We had initially thought the Amalfi Coast would be perfect, but because it's high season, we are having trouble finding a villa or home that we can rent for less than a week (7 night minimum). Additionally, we the fear the crowds might be overwhelming. Where else should I consider visiting? We love the views of the ocean, but certainly aren't married to the beach. I would love to hear opinions about other places we should consider. Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K - HILTON HONORS DIAMOND
I would say Sorrento if the Amalfi Coast is not totally off the table. Check airbnb for rentals. Florence is also good and you can reach the Cinque Terre and Venice fairly easily. The crowds in the summer have never bothered me anywhere in Italy, but then again I come and go so much it's not really an issue.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by jstevenson0617
We just booked flights into Rome for 10 days the first 2 weeks of August 2014. We want to spend 4 days in Rome but unsure of where to spend the rest of our time. My husband and I will be traveling with our 2 girls (9/7yo), my parents and my husband's mother. We would like to find somewhere to relax but would allow for day trips and other sightseeing-type activities. We had initially thought the Amalfi Coast would be perfect, but because it's high season, we are having trouble finding a villa or home that we can rent for less than a week (7 night minimum). Additionally, we the fear the crowds might be overwhelming. Where else should I consider visiting? We love the views of the ocean, but certainly aren't married to the beach. I would love to hear opinions about other places we should consider. Thank you!
Actually August isn't necessarily high season, you'll encounter fewer people in Rome than you would in June for example, b/c its very very hot and uncomfortable in the city. The beach resorts, on the other hand, will be very expensive, and lodging will come at a premium. If you want beach/ocean try the locations further to the North (e.g San Remo) as opposed to the Naples area.

Also, if you plan on taking high speed trains for longer distances, be sure to reserve in advance. August, esp. on the weekends, is very busy for travel and the trains do indeed sell out.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm not a great fan of the Italian coast - the beaches are not great, I'm not convinced of the cleanliness of the Med, and I hate all the semi-compulsory sun loungers and the restrictions on beach access. Having said that, I do love some of the islands.

For Italy, I prefer to stay inland. You will certainly need your four days in Rome as you will want to be sensible with how much you pack into each day in the August heat. You could potentially rent a villa inland somewhere and "waste" the extra day. Or stay in two different hotels in different places.

I recently returned from the wonderful Locanda Palazzone just outside Orvieto and that would certainly be worth 3 or 4 nights. The place is super-luxurious, the pool lovely and the views stunning. Orvieto itself is a beautiful and unusual small town built on a volcanic plug with a particularly attractive cathedral, and the surrounding countryside has lots to offer. The food is excellent and, best of all, it's only a 1.75 hr drive from Rome.

Combine that with a trip to the Florence outskirts, perhaps, or Sienna and you have the makings of an excellent introduction to Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.