FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   1st Time in Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1487498-1st-time-italy.html)

txskygal Jul 23, 13 10:59 am

1st Time in Italy

Howdy all, My hubby and I are traveling for the 1st time to Italy, flying into and out of Rome, for 10 days. We hope to go to Rome, Venice, and Florence. I don't know if a quick trip to the Amalfi coast is also feasible, within that time frame.

We'll probably take a train, to travel between the cities above. We love the museums, and that type of thing, and are not nightclub people, but would find festivals interesting.

Would y'all recommend how many days, in each city we should stay? Any other tips you could give would be greatly appreciated, as well.

We'll be landing on Nov 1st, and departing the 10th, if that info would help, as well.

Thanks for your help and time!

Forrest Bump Jul 24, 13 10:08 am

10 days is tight for the 3 cities you mentioned, adding a further detour is a marathon, not a sightseeing.
The logistic for the Amalfi coast is different than a visit to cities.
You need your own wheels (car rent or driver) to sample it better, or a combination of train and ferry/bus.
This requires more time, also needed to best enjoy the place at a slow pace.
I'd reserve it for a dedicated trip (remember in the surrounds Capri, Ischia, Vesuvio, Pompei, Paestum, Sorrento, Naples among others) and focus now on the Rome-Florence-Venice running.
If you ask for a days distribution my scheme is: 4-3-3.

txskygal Jul 27, 13 3:02 pm

Forrest, thanks for taking the time to answer my question! I found it helpful. Thanks again!^^

Perche Jul 27, 13 4:32 pm

1st Time in Italy

You really have an 8 day trip, not a 10 day trip since you'll land jet lagged on the 1st and will just be able to get situated, walk around a little bit, and eat, and on the 10th you'll just be going to the airport. That rules out Amalfi in my opinion. I agree with spending most of the time in Rome, there's plenty to do. Florence is a matter of taste. Venice is great in November if you wander beyond the tourist areas. I assume you'll land in Rome, train it up to Florence, then fly out of Venice.

JMN57 Jul 28, 13 12:21 am

OP stated fly-in/out Rome so there's also the overhead of the return.

slick2000 Jul 28, 13 8:18 am

Hi, that's Nicola from Rome,
Rome is MUCH bigger than Florence or Venice to visit!

if you have 8 days the scheme for Rome-Florcence-Venice is 5-2-1 or 6-1-1
3 days in Venice are way to many (considering the available 8 days time lapse)

cheers Nicola

KathinJax Jul 28, 13 8:44 am

Given the time frame, I would probably eliminate Venice and just do Rome/Florence. I would do 3 days Florence and 5 days Rome. As Perche stated, Florence is a matter of taste and not my favorite city in Italy, but you should have enough to fill three days (including a side trip to Pisa).

In Florence, arrange for tickets to see the David before you go. November should not be crowded with Tourists, but it will eliminate having to stand in a long line if it happens to be crowded.

In Rome, try to get tickets for the Scavi tour under St. Peter's. There is also a Vatcan Gardens tour that has been sold out the times that I have been in Rome. I have also heard good things about Villa d'Este in Tivoli and their gardens (mainly fountains), if you are looking for a day trip out of Rome.

JMN57 Jul 28, 13 10:34 am

As Perche says, Florence is a matter of taste (as for that matter most places). And as Perche literally says "Why?". Given that, here are some of my thoughts on your question along with my best wished for a wonderful trip.

All three cities are great and have a lot to offer - putting them into one 10 day trip when you are flying in/out of FCO can make it a grind (I wouldn't do it). If you have the ability to fly in one city and out the other, it becomes a little more reasonable.

It's all cities and a lot of what Italy has to offer lies in the countryside. One might consider Tuscany for a segment of the trip (although a car would be recommended). Siena is interesting, San Gimignano beautiful. You'll be there for the fall cuisine so if you like game (Cinghiale - wild boar is classic) you'll have some nice choices.

Early November in Amalfi is delightful. Weather is reasonable/comfortable, traffic is light and accommodations better priced. One really needs a car there (as noted above), one can relax and slow down and there is some great history (Pompeii, Herculaneum), and some beautiful places to see (Capri, Amalfi, Positano, and even parts of Sorrento). However, if you choose to go to Amalfi, it pretty much makes sense as a Rome/Amalfi trip skipping Florence and Venice.

It's all about personal choice and what one would find interesting.

Personally, I think finding a balance between seeing the historical Italy and the Italy of today (people, culture, way of life) is quite enriching. Seeing a Puccini opera written 100 years ago in the Roman Arena in Verona built 2000 years ago performed by contemporaries. Visiting hilltop villages that were built 700 years ago where people live and work today. Going to Pompeii and walking through an ancient city so vivid that thoughts of those that lived there pop up around every corner.

JMN57 Jul 28, 13 11:46 am

Duplicate removed.

DENROC Jul 28, 13 12:44 pm

In and out of Rome, you may want to consider just Rome and possibly Florence for obvious time reasons but do consider possibly just Rome and Tuscany area.

peersteve Jul 28, 13 12:57 pm

Lemme put in a vote for Florence.....its an all-walkable place, so no transit concerns as in Rome....if you like to see major art in the palaces and buildings the art was designed for, then Florence is the place......High speed train from Rome to Florence (90min) is easy (and low cost with advanced tiks from website), and plenty of hotels in walking distance from Florence train station.

High-speed trains continue from Florence to Venice (2 hrs), so we did Venice as a day trip from Florence....enjoy!

manneca Jul 28, 13 1:29 pm

My favorite museum in Rome is Villa Borghese. It has several large Bernini sculptures that are fantastic. I like to go at the very end of the day; allow at least 90 minutes before closing. I've never had trouble getting tickets (they are timed, at least the last time I went.)

I've been to Italy four times. There is much more I want to see and do there. I think i could spend the rest of my life traveling around Italy.

And I tend to walk all over Rome; it's a great city for walking.

Cavman Aug 4, 13 10:06 am

Originally Posted by KathinJax (Post 21170931)
Given the time frame, I would probably eliminate Venice and just do Rome/Florence. I would do 3 days Florence and 5 days Rome. As Perche stated, Florence is a matter of taste and not my favorite city in Italy, but you should have enough to fill three days (including a side trip to Pisa).

In Florence, arrange for tickets to see the David before you go. November should not be crowded with Tourists, but it will eliminate having to stand in a long line if it happens to be crowded.

In Rome, try to get tickets for the Scavi tour under St. Peter's. There is also a Vatcan Gardens tour that has been sold out the times that I have been in Rome. I have also heard good things about Villa d'Este in Tivoli and their gardens (mainly fountains), if you are looking for a day trip out of Rome.

Definite +1 for Villa d'Este. Could also be combined with a visit to Hadrian's villa at (somewhat outside) Tivoli. Both can be done by public transport starting from Central Rome.

retrovertigo Aug 5, 13 6:22 am

You will actually be getting there a day after me! I am taking my mother for her first time for a week. I love Italy and have worked there and been there many times. I do have to say I would spend your first 2 days in Sorrento. A great place on the Amalfi coast and my favorite place in the entire world. A quick train ride from Rome to Naples and then the Circumvesuviana from there to Sorrento. The Marina Grande is my favorite place to stay that's a bit out of the way but just a short walk from the city center.

DennyO Aug 6, 13 5:58 pm

I also second the vote for Florence. I think you can see quite a lot in 2 or 3 days, although obviously really not enough to "know" a city. Florence has several outstanding museums and splendid churches, and it is more walkable than the much larger Rome. Look at this list and pick out 6 or 8 things that really appeal to you, but if you are into museums do NOT skip the Uffizi. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g18...e_Tuscany.html
I also would urge you to include a couple nights in Venice. A few people find it dreary but I was awestruck. There really is no city like it on earth. http://www.veniceconnected.com/
That only leaves you 4-5 days in Rome, depending how you count travel days, certainly not enough time to see it all or even most, but you can see several great churches and museums, walk through some open air markets and generally do a lot.