Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Where is the cheapest exchange for euros?

Where is the cheapest exchange for euros?

Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

When I was in London, I discovered that post office was the cheapest place to exchange from $ to English pounds after three trips there and being overcharged at other places to exchange. It helped so much to save.

I am looking for the best place to do this in Rome and Siena, Italy. Is post office a better saving value?

If not, please offer suggestions on where or what way to save. I will be there too long and worry about having enough money to last the trip.

Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 18, 2013 at 10:48 pm Reason: merge cross-posted posts and resulting threads
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:47 pm

Just use an ATM check with your bank to make sure there aren't any extra fees and such then you don't have to carry to much on your person just in case
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:07 pm

I use my atm card to get funds from my bank account in the foreign currency. If your bank pays you back for the atm fees internationally, that is even better but if not, I take out fewer larger withdrawals to cut down on ATM fees.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lori in az
When I was in London, I discovered that post office was the cheapest place to exchange from $ to English pounds after three trips there and being overcharged at other places to exchange. It helped so much to save.

I am looking for the best place to do this in Rome and Siena, Italy. Is post office a better saving value?

If not, please offer suggestions on where or what way to save. I will be there too long and worry about having enough money to last the trip.

Thank you.
i did post office in france in 1970 or so, as the best place to convert to francs. in the 21st C, one gets a card from an entity that waives all charges. etrade, and a few other stock broker companies have no fee cards.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: American, Alaska, United & IHG
I generally find that local ATM's give the best exchange rate no matter which country I'm visiting...Since my bank reimburses any ATM fees and there's no foreign fees, it works out great. Plus i don't have to carry a lot of money with me, I can just take it out as needed.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:49 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
roughly how much are you looking to exchange?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Since OP is not getting answers specific to the question, and more importantly since this is an Italy specific topic I am moving the thread to the proper forum.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In addition, as cross-posing is prohibited on FlyerTalk, the posts / threads have been merged.

The OP should get more informed responses in the Italy Forum.

JDiver
senior moderator

/Mod hat off

I use an ATM and carry a credit card that allows foreign exchange charges with no fees (e.g. Capital One); several cards exist that allow forex free transactions - AMEX, and even UA offers such a card and accumulates miles.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Since OP is not getting answers specific to the question, and more importantly since this is an Italy specific topic I am moving the thread to the proper forum.

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

online brokerage houses, etrade, schwab, fidelity, TD are no charges. that's abut as cheap as you caan get. student can call and check limits. as i reecall, etrade is $1000 or 1500 cash per day per account(we have 2) and charge limit is $2500 each. one can pull either from cash, or borrow from margin at margin rates.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Agree entirely with using a forex and transaction fee free debit card for changing money locally. However, particularly in rural Italy, the machines do not always work and I've had a few nasty moments trying all three machines in town to no avail. I've always got my money eventually but don't expect it always to work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.