Wiki Posts
Search

Rome to Civitavecchia port

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Rome to Civitavecchia port

We will fly into Rome and stay overnight the night before our cruise. What is the best/easiest way to get to the ship in Civitavecchia that is not ridiculously expensive?
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
if you don't want to drive / get a driver, you can simply take the train. It's 15 euros and it takes 38 - 45' based on the service. It's operated by Trenitalia, www.trenitalia.it
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We hired the car service used by the Westin Excelsior. It was expensive, but to us it turned out to be worth every cent. I was all for taking the train, but the day before, we found out that it was going to rain and my husband wasn't up to schlepping our luggage in the rain. The car service agent at the hotel said they are one of the few companies licensed to take passengers directly to the ship, otherwise you have to be dropped off at the entrance to the port and take the port bus to the ship.

When we got to Civitavecchia, it was raining cats and dogs. If we would have taken the train, there would have been a walk of a few blocks to even get to where the port bus picks you up. Don't know if any of that walk is covered so you don't get wet.

I believe the cost was about 185 Euros, or something like that. Can't remember, but I would do it again unless I knew it was going to be a sunny day in Rome and in Civi, and there was no train strike scheduled.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:18 pm

Rome Cabs - I have used them for airport pick ups and they are very reliable. No matter what time your transfer is scheduled for.

http://www.romecabs.com/
Old Mar 13, 2013, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Thanks mromalley, the romecabs.com option looks good. It's just about the same price the ship wanted to charge for 2 people from our Rome hotel to the port and this way we can set our own time and not be herded on a bus, and we don't have to stay the night before at the ship's hotel.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
We also used Romecabs, 4 times last Novemeber for our btb cruises. Reliable and good service.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:14 am

Take a train! (5 eur)

If you don't have mobility issues I strongly advice you to take a train, it can take up to 2 hours but it is far cheaper than any transfer. One way tickets cost 5 EUR from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia. The only thing to consider is that the train station there is 15 minutes far (walking) from the ships. Taxis shouldn't be entitled to ask you more than 10 EUR for the transfer station-boarding point though.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Another alternative is to find the roll call thread for your ship/departure date on cruisecritic.com and see if you can find someone to share a cab to the port. There's always lots of people staying in Rome the night before a cruise. We did that a couple years ago. Also used Romecabs for the actual trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.