Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Florence and Rome itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Help with Florence and Rome itinerary

Hello,

I have a trip very far out, but Igot bored and was looking at planning everything for a week. About me, 27 year old single guy. Going with a buddy of mine, same age. On the trip not trying to spend way to much money, but still want to enjoy ourselves. Both hotels in Florence and Rome are within 5-10 minutes from the train station. We are both foodies, so any places to try really unique great stuff would be awesome. Any help modifying it to make it better would be very helpful. Also some places for nightlife that aren't extremely expensive would be nice to.

Day0: Leave for Atlanta
Day 1: Arrive in Florence

Dinner and early night sleep after long flight

Day2: Florence
Galleria dell'Accademia- Statue of David
Basilica di San Miniato al Monte
Giotto's Bell Tower (Campanile di Giotto)
Duomo - Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore

Day3: Half Day in Florence/train to Rome
Food tour

Day4: Rome
Colosseum
Roman Forum
Hop on/off trolley tour?
Campo de' Fiori

Day5: Rome
Vatican City
Sistine Chapel
St. Peters Square
Via Appia Antica and Catacombs

Day6: Rome
Pantheon
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain
Via Veneto

Day7: Morning Train to Florence
http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence...19-24285AGROUP 2pm $51

Day8: Flight at 1pm: Spend night in Dublin

Day 9: Flight at 9:30 to Atlanta

And our hotel in Florence Hotel Globus and in Rome is Hotel De Monte.
Is this to much? Will it likely be very expensive to do all of it? Should I switch some things around?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

why not an open jaw? not possible? saves the wasted train ride back...

whol thing sounds sensible to me, decide for each day what to drop or move if time prevents. i would spend more time in rome, myself, but wife would spend the time in florence.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Ok I have another question. I will be arriving in Florence on August 14. I didn't realize this until after the tickets were booked, but they have this holiday called Ferragosto. Will this be a good or bad thing during the trip? Yes I know the crowds will be a lot lighter, but will any places be closed duriing the time?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 5:24 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by edh101985
Ok I have another question. I will be arriving in Florence on August 14. I didn't realize this until after the tickets were booked, but they have this holiday called Ferragosto. Will this be a good or bad thing during the trip? Yes I know the crowds will be a lot lighter, but will any places be closed duriing the time?
Hi there. I was going to reply to your first post with a few comments, but regarding your realization that "they have this holiday called Ferragosto", yes you have picked quite a day to arrive!

Google is the traveler's friend. It's always advisable to check the national holidays before ticketing any flights to a new country. This handy site is what I use for Italy:
Italian National Holidays: Which Days are Public Holidays in Italy?

From that website page you'll see links to get more info on Ferragosto, and on Florence.

I'll let our Florence experts address the specifics.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:05 pm

If day2 is 15th of August then you should be fine with your itinerary. You can check here anyway this list of museums and opening hours/days

Yes less crowds but most of the people are tourists, so tourist spots can be overcrowded as well. Several shops are closed during the day of 15th of August, especially out of the tourist paths.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 7:56 pm
sk3
Suspended

Hello,

I have a trip very far out, but Igot bored and was looking at planning everything for a week. About me, 27 year old single guy. Going with a buddy of mine, same age. On the trip not trying to spend way to much money, but still want to enjoy ourselves. Both hotels in Florence and Rome are within 5-10 minutes from the train station. We are both foodies, so any places to try really unique great stuff would be awesome.
Regarding suggestions for where to eat see the foodies' recommendations linked in this thread (which is currently seen on the first page):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...-eat-rome.html

Also currently seen on the first page of our forum is this thread where I've recently linked some info regarding Florence:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...staurants.html

Any help modifying it to make it better would be very helpful. Also some places for nightlife that aren't extremely expensive would be nice to.
Regarding Rome: are you looking for night clubs? What are your tastes? Perhaps if you let us know what your interests are, our jamm will make some recommendations.

There's an English language magazine, ROMEING, that could be very helpful in figuring out which club to go to, and what special events are on offer during your stay. And their website has a helpful interactive calendar that you can pull up events:
http://www.romeing.it/
Here's their published magazine from this past August, to give you an idea.

I'm also tweeting current info about Rome's events, and other related info of use to the Rome bound traveler. I'm keeping all the current stuff filed in my favorites folder - which is what's linked in my signature below. I'm hoping that by scrolling through it proves useful (and I un-favorite the stuff that becomes out-of-date).

Day0: Leave for Atlanta
Day 1: Arrive in Florence

Dinner and early night sleep after long flight

Day3: Half Day in Florence/train to Rome
Food tour
Whose food tour did you book? I'd think you'll be able to ask them for their recommendations of where you guys should go for meals for the remainder of your time.

Day4: Rome
Colosseum
Roman Forum
Hop on/off trolley tour?
Campo de' Fiori
I'm not a fan of the hop on/off buses. Firstly, they're expensive versus using the regular bus (and you're budget minded, right?). Secondly, I've read there can be long wait times at the stops. Thirdly you're going in August - which means it will be sweltering hot. I'd personally avoid getting on any bus in August. If you plan your paths smartly, you won't have to take any public transportation - except for going out to the Appian Way.

Regarding doing the Colosseum and Roman Forum in one day - sure, many people do. But your €12 ticket is good for 2 days - and I'd personally be planning my itineraries so that I'd be in that oppressive heat as little as possible. You'll have very long days, the sun won't set until around 8pm, so if it was me I'd go to the Colosseum very late in the day one day, and I'd explore the Forum and the Palatine very late in the day on the other day.

You also may be able to visit the Colosseum in the evening hours, called LA LUNA SUL COLOSSEO. That link shows what they had last year, and it included being able to tour the Colosseum's Underground as well.

As to your inclusion of Campo de Fiori, that seems kind of arbitrary. In that, it's not particularly near the Colosseum and Forum. I've recently made a bunch of suggestions on another thread, including the suggestion to get a good guide book and map so as to best plan your trip. Seen in this thread, post number 34, which is also on the first page of this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ilan-rome.html. I'd acquaint myself with what was near what, and make choices based on that. Plus, Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, Piazza della Rotonda, etc, are so fun to visit at night. You'll be surrounded by tourists but still, the piazze and fountains and buildings all look so fantastic illuminated - and there are sure to be musicians/street performers/etc.

And in general, because of the heat you'll be experiencing, I'd plan to visit museums during the day, and as a budget traveler another option to get your "art fix" is visit some of Rome's wonderful churches. They are great places to get out of the sun for a stretch, and you'll see a huge amount of world renowned artwork and amazing architecture. And of course, for the religious they are the destinations of pilgrims from around the world.

Day5: Rome
Vatican City
Sistine Chapel
St. Peters Square
Via Appia Antica and Catacombs
Well this is a very busy day. First a question: what is it you plan to see in "Vatican City"? And if you want to see the Sistine Chapel then you'll need to purchase an entrance ticket to the Vatican Museums (ticket alone without a tour, is €15, and if you prebook to avoid the lines there's an additional €4 charge). This wil make it your single most expensive ticket in Rome - so I'd think you'd want to allot some time to explore the museum. It has a massive collection and is probably one of the most, if not the most famous museum in the world. The basilica is similarly jaw dropping amazing, and with your guide book in hand, there'll be much to see and learn about.

And then you're going to also get out to the Appian Way and Catacombs? Well, you're young! You could do it - but it's a day's plan I wouldn't undertake.

To get your catacomb fix on that day, I'd advise the Scavi Tour. Info in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ites-rome.html

Day6: Rome
Pantheon
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain
Via Veneto
Ok, I've got to ask: why do you want to visit Via Veneto? To single out just one street in Rome, this seems like an odd choice. If I had to pick one single street, I might choose Via dei Coronari with Gelateria del Teatro as my destination! There is so much more to see in Rome than what you've listed. But you have plenty time to research Rome and find out what you'll be most interested in seeing. Then plan itineraries that make geographical sense - and that keep you out of the worst of the heat each day. And since you're a self proclaimed foodie, I'd think a good approach would be to start researching where you'd like to go for meals and ice creams, etc, and then see what sites are near them - and plan that way. In that thread above you'll see that two of the foodies also have apps - so you can look at the maps and go from there.

Another great tip for Rome travelers on a budget, is to make good use of the aperitivi offers. Here's a blog post that has some recommendations:
Best Places for an Aperitif in Rome

Also, you'll be there during Estate Romana, so there'll be special events scheduled and along the Tiber they've had Lungo il Tevere Roma - so I imagine they will again (I just don't want to go out on a limb and state that they'll definitely have it, what with all the austerity measures Europe-wide).

Regarding nighttime events, as part of the Roman Summer, they've had really neat performances in the ancient theater in Ostia Antica in the past, among other places. That would be really fun to attend I'd think. In fact, speaking of Ostia, why not do something an Italian would do in August - get away from all the tourists you'll be cheek to jowl with in Rome, and go to the beach for the day - like to Sperlonga for instance. That won't just be fun and cool (as in not scolding hot like the city), but you'll be exposed to a fascinating Italian cultural experience, unlike any experience of going to the beach in the States.

And getting back to your foodie label, you'll want to spend some time in Testaccio no doubt, a mecca for foodies. So why not see some sights in that neck of the woods. If you're there on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of the month, how about checking out the inside of a 1st century BC pyramid?

Day7: Morning Train to Florence
http://www.viator.com/tours/Florence...19-24285AGROUP 2pm $51
I second slawecki's recommendation that an open jaw would be more logical - if you can make changes to your tickets.

But regardless, why would you book your train tickets through Viator? Especially since you're looking to keep your expenses down. Avoid booking anything through a third party, and snag one of the deeply discounted tickets offered by Trenitalia (there are some caveats: the discounted cheapest fares won't be able to be changed I believe). But even their regular fares will beat Viator's since you'll be booking directly. There's also now Italo, that goes from Ostiense Station (next to the pyramid) to Florence - so check out their fares too.

Day8: Flight at 1pm: Spend night in Dublin

Day 9: Flight at 9:30 to Atlanta

And our hotel in Florence Hotel Globus and in Rome is Hotel De Monte.
Is this to much? Will it likely be very expensive to do all of it?
Should I switch some things around?
I've read alot of great things about Hotel de Monti (note the spelling), but I haven't recommended it before because you have to walk up to the fourth floor (in Italy called the third floor). Especially for the tourist who overpacks, that's a lot of steps to be hauling up your luggage. And when I've checked their rates they didn't seem very cheap to me, that's why I've recommended another place in Monti for budget travelers. May I ask you what rate you booked?

But staying in Monti will be terrific! It's where I plan to rent apartments from here on out. I'm gathering you haven't spent time on our forum and haven't read the threads here, so I'll link this thread for you where I've linked a bunch of stuff for Rione Monti : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...one-monti.html. But I have a lot more bookmarked that I've yet to add. As you plan your trip, check out this forum (not just your own thread). You'll see when I update it and you'll also see questions and answers on other threads that will no doubt be helpful.

On that Monti thread, make special note of post number 22. I heartily recommend you adding that suggestion to your itinerary. It's not just the current number 1 attraction in Rome - but it will be positively ideal for you since it will be nice and cool inside.

Regarding expenses, on your current itinerary in Rome, your expenses for the Vatican Museums is €19, and for the Colosseo/Forum/Palatine €13.50 (that's €12 for the ticket and €1.50 to book online to avoid the lines). If you want go inside some of the sites along the Appian Way versus just walking past them, then that ticket is €6 and also include the Baths of Caracalla. If you add the Scavi Tour that's €13 and the Palazzo Valentini is €11.50.

I have more links, and thoughts, but I'll stop here for now! As you can see, I'm pretty nuts for Rome, and I enjoy helping others plan their trips. Please ask away! (This thread will not just be helping you, but all those others who read it. Just like you'll be helped by reading other people's threads. )

But I'm sorry, I have to add this: is there any way you can reschedule your trip to a more hospitable month? I'd say August is considered the absolute worst time to visit Rome...

Last edited by sk3; Nov 14, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sk3
Regarding suggestions for where to eat see the foodies' recommendations linked in this thread (which is currently seen on the first page):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...-eat-rome.html

Also currently seen on the first page of our forum is this thread where I've recently linked some info regarding Florence:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...staurants.html

Regarding Rome: are you looking for night clubs? What are your tastes? Perhaps if you let us know what your interests are, our jamm will make some recommendations.

There's an English language magazine, ROMEING, that could be very helpful in figuring out which club to go to, and what special events are on offer during your stay. And their website has a helpful interactive calendar that you can pull up events:
http://www.romeing.it/
Here's their published magazine from this past August, to give you an idea.

I'm also tweeting current info about Rome's events, and other related info of use to the Rome bound traveler. I'm keeping all the current stuff filed in my favorites folder - which is what's linked in my signature below. I'm hoping that by scrolling through it proves useful (and I un-favorite the stuff that becomes out-of-date).

Whose food tour did you book? I'd think you'll be able to ask them for their recommendations of where you guys should go for meals for the remainder of your time.

I'm not a fan of the hop on/off buses. Firstly, they're expensive versus using the regular bus (and you're budget minded, right?). Secondly, I've read there can be long wait times at the stops. Thirdly you're going in August - which means it will be sweltering hot. I'd personally avoid getting on any bus in August. If you plan your paths smartly, you won't have to take any public transportation - except for going out to the Appian Way.

Regarding doing the Colosseum and Roman Forum in one day - sure, many people do. But your €12 ticket is good for 2 days - and I'd personally be planning my itineraries so that I'd be in that oppressive heat as little as possible. You'll have very long days, the sun won't set until around 8pm, so if it was me I'd go to the Colosseum very late in the day one day, and I'd explore the Forum and the Palatine very late in the day on the other day.

You also may be able to visit the Colosseum in the evening hours, called LA LUNA SUL COLOSSEO. That link shows what they had last year, and it included being able to tour Rome's Underground as well.

As to your inclusion of Campo de Fiori, that seems kind of arbitrary. In that, it's not particularly near the Colosseum and Forum. I've recently made a bunch of suggestions on another thread, including the suggestion to get a good guide book and map so as to best plan your trip. Seen in this thread, post number 34, which is also on the first page of this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ilan-rome.html. I'd acquaint myself with what was near what, and make choices based on that. Plus, Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, Piazza della Rotonda, etc, are so fun to visit at night. You'll be surrounded by tourists but still, the piazze and fountains and buildings all look so fantastic illuminated - and there are sure to be musicians/street performers/etc.

And in general, because of the heat you'll be experiencing, I'd plan to visit museums during the day, and as a budget traveler another option to get your "art fix" is visit some of Rome's wonderful churches. They are great places to get out of the sun for a stretch, and you'll see a huge amount of world renowned artwork and amazing architecture. And of course, for the religious they are the destinations of pilgrims from around the world.

Well this is a very busy day. First a question: what is it you plan to see in "Vatican City"? And if you want to see the Sistine Chapel then you'll need to purchase an entrance ticket to the Vatican Museums (ticket alone without a tour, is €15, and if you prebook to avoid the lines there's an additional €4 charge). This wil make it your single most expensive ticket in Rome - so I'd think you'd want to allot some time to explore the museum. It has a massive collection and is probably one of the most, if not the most famous museum in the world. The basilica is similarly jaw dropping amazing, and with your guide book in hand, there'll be much to see and learn about.

And then you're going to also get out to the Appian Way and Catacombs? Well, you're young! You could do it - but it's a day's plan I wouldn't undertake.

To get your catacomb fix on that day, I'd advise the Scavi Tour. Info in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ites-rome.html

Ok, I've got to ask: why do you want to visit Via Veneto? To single out just one street in Rome, this seems like an odd choice. If I had to pick one single street, I might choose Via dei Coronari with Gelateria del Teatro as my destination! There is so much more to see in Rome than what you've listed. But you have plenty time to research Rome and find out what you'll be most interested in seeing. Then plan itineraries that make geographical sense - and that keep you out of the worst of the heat each day. And since you're a self proclaimed foodie, I'd think a good approach would be to start researching where you'd like to go for meals and ice creams, etc, and then see what sites are near them - and plan that way. In that thread above you'll see that two of the foodies also have apps - so you can look at the maps and go from there.

Another great tip for Rome travelers on a budget, is to make good use of the aperitivi offers. Here's a blog post that has some recommendations:
Best Places for an Aperitif in Rome

Also, you'll be there during Estate Romana, so there'll be special events scheduled and along the Tiber they've had Lungo il Tevere Roma - so I imagine they will again (I just don't want to go out on a limb and state that they'll definitely have it, what with all the austerity measures Europe-wide).

Regarding nighttime events, as part of the Roman Summer, they've had really neat performances in the ancient theater in Ostia Antica in the past, among other places. That would be really fun to attend I'd think. In fact, speaking of Ostia, why not do something an Italian would do in August - get away from all the tourists you'll be cheek to jowl with in Rome, and go to the beach for the day - like to Sperlonga for instance. That won't just be fun and cool (as in not scolding hot like the city), but you'll be exposed to a fascinating Italian cultural experience, unlike any experience of going to the beach in the States.

And getting back to your foodie label, you'll want to spend some time in Testaccio no doubt, a mecca for foodies. So why not see some sights in that neck of the woods. If you're there on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of the month, how about checking out the inside of 1st century BC pyramid.

I second slawecki's recommendation that an open jaw would be more logical - if you can make changes to your tickets.

But regardless, why would you book your train tickets through Viator. Especially since you're looking to keep your expenses down. Avoid booking anything through a third party, and snag one of the deeply discounted tickets offered by Trenitalia (there are some caveats: the discounted cheapest fares won't be able to be changed I believe). But even their regular fares will beat Viator's since you'll be booking directly. There's also now Italo, that goes from Ostiense Station (next to the pyramid) to Florence - so check out their fares too.

I've read alot of great things about Hotel de Monti (note the spelling), but I haven't recommended it before because you have to walk up to the fourth floor (in Italy called the third floor). Especially for the tourist who overpacks, that's a lot of steps to be hauling up your luggage. And when I've check their rates they didn't seem very cheap to me, that's why I've recommended another place in Monti for budget travelers. May I ask you what rate you booked?

But staying in Monti will be terrific! It's where I plan to rent apartments from here on out. I'm gathering you haven't spent time on our forum and haven't read the threads here, so I'll link this thread for you where I've linked a bunch of stuff for Rione Monti : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...one-monti.html. But I have a lot more bookmarked that I've yet to add. As you plan your trip, check out this forum (not just your own thread). You'll see questions and answers by others that will no doubt be helpful.

On that Monit thread, make special note of post number 22. I heartily recommend you adding that suggestions to your itinerary. It's not just the current number 1 attraction in Rome - but it will be positively ideal for you since it will be nice and cool inside.

Regarding expenses, on your current itinerary in Rome, your expenses for the Vatican Museums is €19, and for the Colosseo/Forum/Palatine €13.50 (that's €12 for the ticket and €1.50 to book online to avoid the lines). If you want to visit some of the sites a long the Appian Way, that ticket is €6 and also include the Baths of Caracalla. If you add the Scavi Tour that's €13 and the Palazzo Valentini is €11.50.

I have more links, and thoughts, but I'll stop here for now! As you can see, I'm pretty nuts for Rome, and I enjoy helping others plan their trips. Please ask away! (This thread will not just be helping you, but all those others who read it. Just like you'll be helped by reading other people's threads. )

But I'm sorry, I have to add this: is there any way you can reschedule your trip to a more hospitable month? I'd say August is considered the absolute worst time to visit Rome...
I appreciate yours (and everyone else's help). Fist, I am using skymiles for the trip and I only had enough on Delta for the low tier so it was very difficult even to get the tickets I had now. Looking back on it, I should have, and could have done an open jaw ticket returning in Rome. I am new to booking reward tickets (I got all of mine only because of my Suntrust Debit card) and don't fly often so I am happy really to have what I do. Plus I kind of like having a layover in Dublin. Always wanted to see the city, even if its briefly. I am though from south Georgia, so I am used to the heat.

For Hotel Monti I booked it for one night at 64 euro and 3 nights at 74 euro's per night.

As for the thing booked through Viator, it was not train tickets. It was a half day wine tour. Any other winery tours in Florence for a half day that is under $50 USD would be nice.

As for some of the places to visit, I looked at Trip Advisor at top things to do, and those were some of the best things to come up. Instead of doing the food tour the first day in Rome I was hoping to combine the first two and a half days to do the activities in Rome, and for one day consider taking a trip to Sperlonga Beach. There's a lot more I would want to reply to, but here are some thoughts for now. Right now I have nothing booked, and I am just trying to find the best things to do and looking for suggestions. If something is not worth seeing I am definitely open to finding something better! For the first two and a half days, out of all the top things to do, I guess just recommending the best order to do everything in would be great.

As for nightlife, I guess a mixture of clubs and places to go that you can sit around and get a drink to meet some locals. If they have any pay one price, and all you can drink, that would be also nice. What are the laws for walking around with alcohol also? I am from Savannah, and we allowed to walk around with an open container. If I can buy my own alcohol and take it with me, all I need is fun places to go where I can easily get back to the hotel while intoxicated!

Last edited by edh101985; Nov 14, 2012 at 8:38 pm
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:22 pm
sk3
Suspended

I appreciate yours (and everyone else's help). Fist, I am using skymiles for the trip and I only had enough on Delta for the low tier so it was very difficult even to get the tickets I had now. Looking back on it, I should have, and could have done an open jaw ticket returning in Rome. I am new to booking reward tickets (I got all of mine only because of my Suntrust Debit card) and don't fly often so I am happy really to have what I do. Plus I kind of like having a layover in Dublin. Always wanted to see the city, even if its briefly. I am though from south Georgia, so I am used to the heat.

For Hotel Monti I booked it for one night at 64 euro and 3 nights at 74 euro's per night.

As for the thing booked through Viator, it was not train tickets. It was a half day wine tour. Any other winery tours in Florence for a half day that is under $50 USD would be nice.

As for some of the places to visit, I looked at Trip Advisor at top things to do, and those were some of the best things to come up. Instead of doing the food tour the first day in Rome I was hoping to combine the first two and a half days to do the activities in Rome, and for one day consider taking a trip to Sperlonga Beach. There's a lot more I would want to reply to, but here are some thoughts for now. Right now I have nothing booked, and I am just trying to find the best things to do and looking for suggestions. If something is not worth seeing I am definitely open to finding something better! For the first two and a half days, out of all the top things to do, I guess just recommending the best order to do everything in would be great.

As for nightlife, I guess a mixture of clubs and places to go that you can sit around and get a drink to meet some locals. If they have any pay one price, and all you can drink, that would be also nice. What are the laws for walking around with alcohol also? I am from Savannah, and we allowed to walk around with an open container. If I can buy my own alcohol and take it with me, all I need is fun places to go where I can easily get back to the hotel while intoxicated!
Ok, I get it - re the miles and limited choices. I have a bunch of bookmarks about how to make the most out of visiting Rome in the summer, I'll be adding them here soon.

Regarding your rates for Hotel de Monti, thanks for sharing! So is that the price for 2 people sharing a double room?

And about "If something is not worth seeing I am definitely open to finding something better!" I wouldn't say it's a matter of eliminating things not worth seeing (can't imagine what those places would be though!), but rather it's a matter of you selecting what interests YOU - from a vast amount of choices. That's why I really think getting that Eyewitness guidebook that I linked in that other thread, where you can thumb through and see what grabs your attention is the best way to proceed. On everybody's list is the Colosseum and Sistine Chapel and the Pantheon. But my taste isn't necessarily yours, and likewise, other FTers' taste might not be in sync with yours.

For me, I'm fascinated by Ancient Rome, specifically the time of the Late Republic, and I'm far more interested in archaeology and architecture than in paintings and sculptures. So for me, the Vatican Museums aren't high on my list. It's a real shame you can't just see the Sistine Chapel on its own, I actually just bemoaned that fact here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...years-old.html

Contrarily, I'm completely excited about the prospect of visiting where Julius Caesar was assisinated:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...en-public.html

And I really enjoy visiting Trajan's Markets. It's now a museum and you can walk all around its different levels which I love.

I love Basilica San Clemente. It's an amazing place to spend a couple of hours exploring the different layers of history seen in the excavations all the way down to its lowest level from the 1st century. It only costs €5 - and for your visit in August it woud be a nice cool place to go (as in temperature!). You could pass by the Ludus Magnus on your way there and see where the gladiators trained.

I also love Ostia Antica and Appia Antica and I'll next be checking out the acqueducts which I've yet to see.

I love spending time on the Campidoglio - and its Capitoline Museums are my favorite in Rome (not the Vatican). I love being able to walk inside the Tabularium and look out over the Roman Forum. I love seeing the foundation stones of the Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus inside its rooms.

I think it's a must to see the 2 Republican temples, the Temple of Portunus and the Round Temple.

I could go on.... but the point is, these are my favorites - and not necessarily yours, or that of another FTer. And I really think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you based your intinerary on what a handful of strangers suggested versus researching with a guide book on your own and making your own choices.

Regarding the laws about drinking in public, I'll leave that question to the Roman FTers.

Last edited by sk3; Nov 14, 2012 at 9:35 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Yes, it it for two people for a double room. As for train tickets what is the best place to buy them, and how far in advance is needed. I can't see them being to much, especially making a day trip to the beach. Also if anyone knows any Scuba dive shops in Sperlonga, I would love to some diving.

Last edited by edh101985; Nov 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:50 pm

If it's a day trip to Sperlonga, you just buy the ticket at the train station, don't really need to buy it in advance, neither you'll benefit of a discount doing so. It's a regional train departing every hour during the day.
Just out of my curiosity, what would bring you to visit Sperlonga? If you plan 1 day trip to a nice beach location, you might want to consider going to Ponza. It's an island reachable within two hours from Rome, train from Rome to Anzio about 1 hour and another hour from Anzio to Ponza with boat.
Ponza is also very good location for diving.

As for your other questions about night club in Rome, let's wait for the summer. Ask me again next July and I can tell you which are the places you shouldn't miss. Telling your preferences in such contest would help to point you to the more appropriate place.
Also consider that during the summer most of the night clubs move to beach locations, like Ostia and Fregene. But don't worry you'll find nice summer clubs in Rome as well.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

edh101985, as a local I would suggest you to carefully read the precious information posted by sk3. Every information in her posts is full of clues and useful tips.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I did a search for best beaches close to Rome, and that city looked like it was one of the nicest. I liked how it had the look of a Greek town.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:16 pm
sk3
Suspended

...As for nightlife, I guess a mixture of clubs and places to go that you can sit around and get a drink to meet some locals. If they have any pay one price, and all you can drink, that would be also nice. What are the laws for walking around with alcohol also? I am from Savannah, and we allowed to walk around with an open container. If I can buy my own alcohol and take it with me, all I need is fun places to go where I can easily get back to the hotel while intoxicated!
Saw this on Huffington Post - and immediately thought of you

Bargain Boozing In Rome

Any Romans care to comment on the places mentioned?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that! Those places look like a lot of fun. Plus places to meet lots of English speakers is a big plus.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by sk3

Any Romans care to comment on the places mentioned?
I like Trinity College after 1am, almost only tourists there, OP shouldn't expect to meet many locals there, only few of them and mostly interested in young foreign girls.
Mr Pucci is just a small creepy bar with arguable wines.
The other three are just places for tourists, mostly groups of males getting ridiculously drunk.

Now if the OP is looking for tourist crowds those are surely the places to go, but forget to meet locals there.

Testaccio might be better shot for real night life, but it's all matter of tastes.

When abroad I like to go to clubs filled with locals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.