4 Days in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2012, 3:38 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Galleria Borghese and Ostia Antica

Originally Posted by Nanook
We, too, are going to Rome for 4 days at the end of October. I wanted to see some of the sculptures at the Borghese Gallery and read somewhere that one must make a reservation, even if you have the RomaCard. I think that museum is closed on Mondays.

Planning on going to Ostia Antica on Sunday. Our last attempt to do that was a disaster. They were closed that day and the taxi driver dropped us off in the middle of Ostia where no one, apparently, spoke a word of English nor understood our attempts at Italian. Finally found the train station and took a taxi back to our airport hotel.
Regarding the Galleria Borghese
First here's the official website (and yes, it's closed Mondays):

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/default-en.htm

And yes, you must make reservations even with the RomaPass. RinR's excellent blog covers this topic exhaustively and these links should address any and all questions (including making your reservation and using the RomaPass):
Galleria Borghese

Getting to the Galleria Borghese
Regarding Ostia Antica
I've only visited there once and it was within a ContextRome tour and I was very fortunate to have as my guide Darius Arya. I too want to go back (this site is massive, and so much to see!).

For the logistics to get there see this RinR piece:
Day Trip from Rome – Ostia Antica

Also you might find interesting the videos that Prof. Arya of the AIRC and Northeastern University produced regarding Ostia Antica. I've posted all the links on a ST thread (my user name there is Jady):
Recommended Sources for Rome Trip Planning

And here are some additional links on Ostia Antica from the official sites, and note that it's closed on Mondays and the holidays Jan 1, May 1, Dec 25:

From Turismo Roma

From 060608 (Always advisable to check this site for opening hours, especially if venturing outside of the Centro Storico).

From MiBAC

Ostia Antica Online

OSTIA: HARBOUR CITY OF ANCIENT ROME
Hope this helps!

Last edited by sk3; Sep 4, 2012 at 3:10 am Reason: corrected university name
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Generally, 4 days for a walking tour are fine.
If you add the visit of some of the hundreds museums in town (mandatory in my opinion) the time allowed narrows
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: The Golden status boy
Originally Posted by Nanook
We, too, are going to Rome for 4 days at the end of October. I wanted to see some of the sculptures at the Borghese Gallery and read somewhere that one must make a reservation, even if you have the RomaCard. I think that museum is closed on Mondays.

Planning on going to Ostia Antica on Sunday. Our last attempt to do that was a disaster. They were closed that day and the taxi driver dropped us off in the middle of Ostia where no one, apparently, spoke a word of English nor understood our attempts at Italian. Finally found the train station and took a taxi back to our airport hotel.
Definitely need to make a reservation for Borghese. We went during culture week and it was the only place where we didn’t get to step inside because we didn’t make a reservation beforehand. Walked from the Spanish Steps all the way there, in the rain, only to be told “no”.

I think a reservation is 3 Euros online.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: PC Spire Amb, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, Cathay Gold
also recommend restaurant sofia on capo le case near Spanish steps - best sign of a good restaurant to me = no tourist menu! went in, loved the food, v chilled ambience and crowd.Came back the next night. Steaks and pastas were excellent.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 2:56 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
The Steps and Environs hold no allure for me, and never did. That said, even the worst parts of central Rome are more captivating than the best parts of most cities. For a day trip, I like Tivoli. The trick is to avoid the crowds...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.