Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Getting to Bologna airport (BLQ) from Florence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Bologna airport (BLQ) from Florence?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K HHonors Gold
Question Getting to Bologna airport (BLQ) from Florence?

What the best way to get there and how long does it take? I won't have a car so public trans is a must.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to take a 10am flight from BLQ or wait until 2:30 to fly out of FLR. I prefer the earlier flight as it gets me to London 4 hours earlier...

Thanks for any advice!

Mike
Old May 16, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is a fast train from flr to blq that i have never used. from train sta. cab(about 15 min)(there may be a bus) to blq. both are small airports. if a conference is ending in blq, it may be crowded.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA / DL / MB
Originally Posted by slawecki
there is a fast train from flr to blq
This is the Frecciarossa. It's about a 40 minute trip between Santa Maria Novella & Bologna Centrale. Cost is 25 euro for 2nd class, 36 for 1st class. I've taken the Intercity train in the past. It's 1.5 hours and cost 10.50. If you want to make a flight at 10 you'll probably have to take the 6:55 Frecciarossa train to Bologna. Can't quite remember how long it took me to get from the airport to the Centrale station but this should give you plenty of time.
Old May 16, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Former NW Plat, now everybody's nobody, still have Gold w/ Marriot
and then the bus...

Just to echo the above comments, I've taken the train from Florence to Bologna, and then there is a bus in Bologna from the train station to the airport. The Autobus BLQ is about a 20-25 min trip departing from Bologna Stazione Centrale to BLQ departures. It runs about every half hour and about every 15 minutes during peak times.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:09 am

looking for current best way to travel from florence to Bologna airport.
many thanks
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by dave111
many thanks
The best way is a taxi. Had to do it once when our flight was moved from FLR to BLQ due to fog and we got notified too late to make the airline-provided bus. I think it ran around 210 euro - not inexpensive, but if there are 4 of you, its close enough to a train fare to consider (to me at least).
dave111 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
many thanks
You didn’t mention where in Florence, but the train from the main station S.M. Novella leaves to Bologna Centrale every 20 minutes. It’s about a half an hour ride. From B.Centrale walk a short way to the Central Bus Station and take the bus that leaves every 20 minutes or so a few miles to the airport. Cost of train is about 15-20 per person, cost of bus about 3-5 per person. If you take a taxi, remember, there is no tipping in Italy. Especially no tipping taxis.
dave111 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:23 pm

...or a compromise between PWMTrav and Perche: train to Bologna centrale and then a cab to the airport
dave111 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:19 am

thanks for your help.
will be starting journey near the river in florence - https://goo.gl/maps/LbtHfsQ6Us92
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:56 pm

thanks for your help.
will be starting journey near the river in florence - https://goo.gl/maps/LbtHfsQ6Us92
If there are more than 2 of you, or any kids, and the price doesn't bother you, I would opt for a car/taxi. YMMV, but I have a younger child which means we have luggage, and I don't particularly enjoy the bus -> train -> train/bus transfer.

Based on that location, though, there's also a Hertz location ~3km to the east. You could get a car that morning, drive back to the hotel, pick up your group and jump on the highway. Return the car at BLQ. You should double-check this, but I believe where you're staying is a somewhat less restrictive ZTL (only weekend nights in the summer). A one way car rental might be cheaper, not sure. I'd personally just take a taxi.

If you opt for a train, just note that you're about the same distance from Santa Maria Novella (the "main" station) as you are to Campo di Marte. If you opt to leave from the latter, I wouldn't walk - the streets are busier in that direction. Basically, if you want to walk to the train station, leave from SMN and give yourself 30 minutes at least. Google Maps will give you walking directions to Campo di Marte, but I'd just again suggest not doing that.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:52 am

thanks for your help.
2 of us, no kids, no a tight budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.